Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 683997 times)

Terrazine

Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #650 on: March 12, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »
lol I would hardly call someone who sacrificed himself throughout the entire movie a wet blanket. Caliban was a badass.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #651 on: March 14, 2017, 03:53:58 AM »
You can edit video on phones these days, no need for a desk top.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #652 on: March 14, 2017, 05:05:24 AM »
Jasper Jones (2017 - Rachel Perkins)

A very Australian film, it is not just the location shots, there is a very particular look and feel to most Australian films and this one has it in spades. I do not mention this to either aggrandise or denigrate the film, more to say if you have a problem with the Australian style of film you are going to have a problem with this one. Set in Western Australia in 1969 in a small town with what was likely a typical undercurrent of racism. The film focuses on 14 old Charlie Bucktin (Levi Miller) who at the beginning of the film has Jasper (Aaron McGrath) knock on his window on Christmas night and ask for him to follow. Charlie does, unsure why Jasper has asked him as they have never spoken before. Heading out of town and into the bush Charlie is lead to the hanging corpse of a local town girl that Jasper has found. What follows is a coming of age story wrapped around a murder mystery.

The film does not have a strong look at racial and social make up in a small Australian town. Still there is ripples across the whole film of the racism present. More this is a sort of coming of age story, one that has a dead body generating additional movement.

Rating: 77 / 100

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #653 on: March 14, 2017, 07:22:17 AM »
Interesting. I hope it finds its way over to us.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #654 on: March 14, 2017, 08:14:26 AM »
Kong: Skull Island (2017)

This movie was a whole lot better than I expected it to be. I give kudos to whoever put this franchise in the hands of Vogt-Roberts (only known for some Comedy Central stuff and the touching Kings Of Summer). Everything in this movie works pretty well, and it's an absolute ride.

I'd echo this. My expectations going in compared to how I felt leaving, were vastly different. I always say it's "a movie knowing itself" and what kind of movie it wants to be and what kind of audience it expects. This is a monster/creature-feature with tons of action and a lot of colorful characters brought to life by a great ensemble. The Vietnam War parallels (or just a look at world conflicts in general) might not hold weight with everyone, but it at least provided a unique backdrop and inspired setting that you don't see in these films.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #655 on: March 14, 2017, 01:34:18 PM »
Logan (2017)

If Logan is the best of the three solo Wolverine films, I am grateful I’ve been spared from the previous two titles because this is some of the most mediocre storytelling I’ve seen in a long time. The R-rating does not add any gravitas and depth to the film, just more offensive content to try to cash in on the success of Deadpool.
I agree with the part in your review about the flawed ways the movie feeds us information, but tonally this is the opposite end of the Deadpool. It's the previous film that allowed this film to happen, but the extreme violence is never just gore for kicks. (This may have the record for the most amount of 'head shots' where none of them are cool.) The violence is crucial in showing what an emotional toll it's taken on Logan, the man who's inflicted so much pain on others. People are easy to kill, but he never wipe away their blood.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #656 on: March 15, 2017, 12:55:58 AM »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #657 on: March 15, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
* * * - Good

When I wrote about Green Room, I praised filmmaker Jeremy Saulnier's fresh approach to violence and tense confrontations. It looks like his style is going to spread twice as fast thanks to Macon Blair. Blair's effect is mostly the same, but because he frames the violence inside an offbeat comedy, it skirts perilously close to treating life cheaply, which would backfire terribly if either director were to make that mistake. The comparisons to Saulnier apply, but Blair is different enough, more comic, that I can make room in my life for both of them, even though this is closer to a well made Murder Party than anything approaching Blue Ruin.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #658 on: March 15, 2017, 02:05:36 AM »
It's a really good first film, though.   I'm really looking forward to his next.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #659 on: March 15, 2017, 02:55:28 AM »
Been catching up on some stuff.

Don't Breathe - 6/10
Watchable and pretty exciting at times (the dog almost getting them again and again gave me the biggest "holy shit" feelings I've had in a while). Still, short as it is, the concept is spread a little thin. A film of great sequences but not a solid whole. Dunno why they had to make the guy so unlikeable... who am I rooting for in the end?

Moonlight - 5/10
Not as affecting as I had hoped it might be. I just kind of sat through it... engaged but not moved.

Arrival - 6/10
A movie I was excited about. I liked the first hour, and then I kept falling asleep. I might give it another try one day.

The Ones Below - 6/10
Another decent thriller, this time of the psychological variety. I can recommend a film that's almost exactly like it but rates 10/10. It starts with "The" and ends with "Cradle". This one is nothing special.

Mad Max: Fury Road - 8/10
Incredible. God damn... if I had been emotionally engaged this would be a 10. I loved the villain! I loved how he looked and how the camera moved on him! Really it was all great. Somehow it never lacked variety, even though all the ingredients were the same the whole way through. Very watchable!

Hidden Figures - 6/10
My expectations were off here. It had good buzz and I took that to mean it would probably have above average bite... else why would anyone be talking about it? Looking back, I think I would prefer to hear this story told in a 37 hour documentary by Ken Burns. This version feels too Disney. Janelle Monáe was cool as hell. Great in Moonlight too!

Swiss Army Man - 8/10
Hell yea, this was a good one! A couple of great montages, emotionally engaging, damn weird but also damn funny! I glad I got off the fence and gave this a try. So inventive and it had better rocketry than Hidden Figures.

Nocturnal Animals - 6/10
A lot of cutting between boring and not boring. Jake Gyllenhaal has really hit his stride as an actor. I will forget about this movie.

Passengers - 9/10
This is why I don't bother reading anything before watching a movie. This was fantastic. FANTASTIC! What did I know about it going in? Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt in space. Had I read any of the reviews (37% RT) it would've confirmed what my cynical mind suspected, that this was nothing but a generic star vehicle about two characters on a vehicle traveling to distant stars... and I never would have watched it! Man, I was so into this. Every element. The ship they were on for example. It was was so thoroughly realized! Like this might be the most ambitious and richly conceived space ship I've ever seen in a film. What an achievement of design! Vast, beautiful, functional, sensible, radically different! The ship in 2001 might as well be a flying log cabin by comparison. I don't mean in technology, but in detail and size and how much of it we get to see and interact with! Even the ship in Sunshine, which is outwardly a straggering thing to look at, is inside a pretty run of the mill space vessel (the payload room notwithstanding). Love the story here too... I thought every beat of it worked, even where it felt inevitable. I was so on board I would've let a lot go, but I didn't find I needed to. This movie flattens anything else I've seen from 2016. Looking forward to seeing it again.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:10:14 AM by smirnoff »

love