Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684566 times)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #690 on: March 22, 2017, 07:40:24 AM »
Two Days, One Night (Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, 2014

better than that is watching her become a better and more shrewd salesperson the more she is forced to confront her coworkers.

I've also never been more glad to only have time to watch movies in half hour chunks because I could only handle about five uncomfortable interactions at a time!

4.5/5

I could have absolutely picked this film for you Jeff! Not for me haha. Anyone seen their The Unknown Girl? There's a French film festival going on right now so I've seen a fair few recently. Will try to write about one or two tomorrow.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #691 on: March 22, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »
[....] Anyone seen their The Unknown Girl? There's a French film festival going on right now so I've seen a fair few recently. Will try to write about one or two tomorrow.
I saw it earlier this year at the Göteborg Film Festival and can't recommend it highly enough!
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #692 on: March 22, 2017, 08:00:32 AM »
Are you aware he's also gay? Also religious? That there's a non-zero chance he voted for Trump?

I inferred his being gay from his writing for Out. But all this just reinforces what I said in my review which is he is a tool, whose identity provides cover to people who want to dislike notable films covering black and/or gay characters. As an Out subscriber (well, I was a subscriber for a year like 8 years ago and they won't stop sending it to me), I'm not entirely happy about his presence there.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #693 on: March 22, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »
[....] Anyone seen their The Unknown Girl? There's a French film festival going on right now so I've seen a fair few recently. Will try to write about one or two tomorrow.
I saw it earlier this year at the Göteborg Film Festival and can't recommend it highly enough!

It's fine, Haenel is very good, but I wouldn't recommend it enthusiastically... I didn't find it to be adding up to all that much. What did you particularly like about it KOL ?
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #694 on: March 22, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
Two Days, One Night (Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, 2014

better than that is watching her become a better and more shrewd salesperson the more she is forced to confront her coworkers.

I've also never been more glad to only have time to watch movies in half hour chunks because I could only handle about five uncomfortable interactions at a time!

4.5/5

I could have absolutely picked this film for you Jeff! Not for me haha. Anyone seen their The Unknown Girl? There's a French film festival going on right now so I've seen a fair few recently. Will try to write about one or two tomorrow.

Ha! Yeah, what I've seen of the Dardennes' style is right up my alley. Handheld and intimate but very carefully considered. What didn't you like about it?

I haven't seen that yet, and I still need to see most of their stuff, having only seen this, Lorna's Silence, and Kid With A Bike.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #695 on: March 22, 2017, 10:24:09 AM »
Doctor Strange (2016)

There is no doubt this is a visual wonder, often an MC Escher design in motion. But to what end. More than even the average Marvel film the visual splendor, the talented cast, and the often witty dialogue couldn't rise above the sense of weightlessness. To be fair, it took quite a bit of the film's runtime for me to not think the most tragic part was Strange surviving his car crash. Any sense that he was going to be a lovable jerk ala House go quickly out the window. So yeah, not so much onboard here.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #696 on: March 22, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
Are you against the rehabilitation of mean people? You would rather just see them executed instead? It's one of cinema's oldest storylines, and one of its most reliable because it shows that we as a people can rise to be better and can help others in wonderful ways.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #697 on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
Executed makes it sound like I'm flipping the switch. He was hoist on his own petard initially. Then he became even meaner. I know the bible disagrees, but isn't there a too far to come back from?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #698 on: March 22, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
The character of Strange really annoyed me. I didn't want him dead, per se, but I was loathe to spend much time with him.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #699 on: March 22, 2017, 01:31:37 PM »
I don't think so. Dr. Strange might have been an egomaniac, but he was broken in order to rebuild himself into a better version of himself. That's part of what I loved about the story.

Also the director/cowriter is a Christian so he definitely added some themes of redemption into the story.