Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684782 times)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #740 on: March 23, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
I don't remember Lost Highway being confusing, certainly not as much as Mulholland Dr. Maybe I should watch it again. Inland Empire is definitely an obtuse 3 hour long collection of Lynchian tropes that DarkeningHumour shouldn't bother with, though.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #741 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »
Teproc, my detailed review of Sholay may amuse you.

http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=12207.msg734025#msg734025

Seems we saw the same film, but you were much more forgiving. It set back my Bollywood education quite a bit. Took roujin to show me some good films.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #742 on: March 23, 2017, 08:15:28 PM »
I like Sholay and think the "Yeh Dosti" number is an axiom of cinema. But, yes, keep trying.

slowpogo

• madeupwords
« Reply #743 on: March 23, 2017, 08:45:01 PM »
That is true but you will never be confused about what it happening in the dirt and muck and walk away thinking WTF just happened.

I suppose on the most basic plot level, no. But it still has its share of Lynchian WTF moments that don't really need to be there and lend it a surreal quality. The Sandman scene. The whore climbing on top of the car and dancing. Lots of Frank Booth's scenes, etc.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #744 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:12 PM »
Hmm, I loved Mulholland Dr, but I never had any desire to understand it. Likewise, after a beautiful day of surfing, I don't go home and Google "why are ocean waves majestic" ... :)

pixote
Too tired to find the words and formulate sentences, pleased to see you already did it for me.  :)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #745 on: March 23, 2017, 11:44:24 PM »
I don't remember Lost Highway being confusing, certainly not as much as Mulholland Dr. Maybe I should watch it again.

It's the one I remember the least about, but I thought it had a lot of dream logic in it? I could be mistaken.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #746 on: March 23, 2017, 11:48:40 PM »
By Lynch standards, LH is actually kind of straightforward. In a way. Sort of.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #747 on: March 23, 2017, 11:52:14 PM »
Teproc,

Ignore 1SO. This is the thread you are looking for.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #748 on: March 24, 2017, 01:03:50 AM »
I don't remember Lost Highway being confusing, certainly not as much as Mulholland Dr. Maybe I should watch it again.

It's the one I remember the least about, but I thought it had a lot of dream logic in it? I could be mistaken.
I don't remember it that well, either. It's clearly Lynchian with strangeness and some dream logic, but I remember it making narrative sense on the same level as Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart, where you may not understand everything but you're also not really grasping for a sense of the boundary of reality like Mulholland drive.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #749 on: March 24, 2017, 01:05:15 AM »
Rogue One - 7/10
It annoys me to no end that we can't just go FORWARD in the Star Wars timeline. Next we're going to get a movie about Han Solo in diapers or something? Who. Gives. A. Crap. Han is dead! His legacy is already marred by the unrecognizable performance in The Force Awakens, now we've got to see him when he was young and annoying? Can't I just remember him for his Johnny-come-lately heroics at the Battle of Yavin? Can't I remember him at his best? I know, maybe at some point they can do a needless flashback to a CG Han deciding to join the fight after all, and then they'll have well and truly ruined the character in every conceivable way.

So, as annoying as the existence of this film is, it's pretty good. It made me weepy in spite of myself. But I was a little disappointed that I didn't enjoy the periphery characters more. The droid was far and away my favourite,  and I appreciated the monkish guy for his line when he gets blind-folded. Ben Mendelsohn was awesome casting. It makes me laugh how critical Jimmy Smits character is for a guy that just stands in the background.

The main battle was good. Ships ramming ships into other ships... what a cool moment. There are a lot of things I enjoyed.

Doctor Strange 6/10
This didn't end up winning me over, though I loved the ambition of telling such a big story. It made for some creative visuals. I wish the lore had captured my imagination more... it probably was very thoroughly thought through, but by the end I had lost the thread. 

The Duff 5/10
I had written this title down ages ago because the trailer looked funny. Unfortunately it was pretty weak on laughs imo, though once or twice out of nowhere it would get me. Edge of Seventeen should be better than this. I hope so. Or maybe it's all there in the trailer too. :-\