Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684146 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #1350 on: September 13, 2017, 04:38:57 AM »
Moneyball

There are literally films even on my own top 100 that if I put them on at midnight I'd fall asleep before they were over. I put this on at midnight and finished it easily. SO few movies could accomplish that. Even when I'm rested I don't finish half the movies I start these days. They just suck and I get bored and move on. I'd already seen this twice before. I keep coming back. It doesn't seem like that kind of movie but it is. It's just such a good story with so many good moments.

That Sorkin magic...

Their Finest

The Anti-Dunkirk.  Related to the same material, with all the heart and humor Dunkirk lacked, but without the stakes and drive.  Be a great double-feature.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1351 on: September 13, 2017, 05:32:51 AM »
Dunkirk and Their Finest are perhaps the best pairing of the year.

How did I not know Sorkin wrote at least part of Moneyball? (Still don't like the movie though.)

« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1352 on: September 13, 2017, 05:43:11 AM »
The Return Flight...

Their Finest (2016)
* * * - Good
If I had to guess, this seems like a film originally conceived as more broadly appealing and comedic. There are hints in the casting of Bill Nighy, Eddie Marsan and Jake Lacy and their more broad performances. (Nighy retains his status as UK National Treasure and Lacy is so effective as an American forced into the story I'd call it surprising even though he's always good.) As the story goes on, it moves away from being a UK Hidden Figures and Gemma Arterton's performance goes from feminist fun to romantic and sentimental. I'm not sure making the film more of a comedy would've been better and it's good front to back all the same, but there's a feeling of two tones rubbing gently against each other.

Out of all those movies, that one deserved to be properly seen at home. I really loved it. I thought it handled the balance between comedy and pathos superbly. Gemma Aterton remians my #1 feminist badass character of the year (even despite your precocious Rey pick).

Oh, and this is super Sandy-friendly too by the way.

@Colossal

I felt hoodwinked by the trailer. It promised a comedy and the movie was definitely not that. The light, fun air of the movie disappears very quickly and doesn't come back. I liked the idea of where the film went and how it used the genre in a new way, but nothing about it was exceptionally handled. And I still wish It had been a comedy with Jason Manzoukis...

@Life

There is one new thing in the movie: the alien. With the heptapods it is the only movie in recent years that even tries to come up with a unearthly lifeform that is properly alien. It becomes a bit too animal towards the end of the movie for my tastes, but when it is in that starfish shape it is one of the most originally conceived monsters of the XXIst century. It is a big part of the reason I enjoyed the movie.

@GitS

What about the visual spectacle?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1353 on: September 13, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »
DH: Before I respond to the responses I am reposting this quote because it's the one line directly aimed at you:
The Belko Experiment (2016)

If you're a fan of Guardians, then you'd do better checking out Slither, which also benefits from Nathan Fillion, Elizabeth Banks and (of course) Michael Rooker
You weren't around for the days of Slither (or Serenity). Have you seen or even heard of James Gunn's slug-fest?

Their Finest (2016)
* * * - Good

Out of all those movies, that one deserved to be properly seen at home.
Is that because of particular cinematic qualities or because it's the one you liked? I would say that Life would possibly benefit most from the bigger screen and superior sound. Or Ghost in the Shell, if I cared.

@GitS

What about the visual spectacle?
It's mostly loaded into the beginning, then everything feels like stage work except for some sweeping shots of the city. I was initially wowed by the multi-story holographic advertising, but as the film chugged along it was diminishing returns and is a single tacked-on element compared to Speed Racer, which created true visual spectacle with an eye-popping amount of colorful details.

Click This and See What I Mean

@Colossal

I felt hoodwinked by the trailer. It promised a comedy and the movie was definitely not that. The light, fun air of the movie disappears very quickly and doesn't come back. I liked the idea of where the film went and how it used the genre in a new way, but nothing about it was exceptionally handled. And I still wish It had been a comedy with Jason Manzoukis...
I originally planned to watch this with Mrs. 1SO for a cute Shocktober surprise to cap out Kaiju mini-Marathon, and I'm glad I didn't because it is not what the trailer suggests. It also completely wastes Dan Stevens, I'll show her The Guest before I have her watch this. I would like to see the comedy version of this high-conecept idea or make it a straight-up thriller, giving Sudeikis' performance a proper frame.

I agree about the starfish in Life. Also Next Picture Show got it right that the film would've been better by simply changing the title to Murder Squid, which represents the type of horror film this is.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1354 on: September 13, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
DH: Before I respond to the responses I am reposting this quote because it's the one line directly aimed at you:
The Belko Experiment (2016)

If you're a fan of Guardians, then you'd do better checking out Slither, which also benefits from Nathan Fillion, Elizabeth Banks and (of course) Michael Rooker
You weren't around for the days of Slither (or Serenity). Have you seen or even heard of James Gunn's slug-fest?

I didn't read that passage originally because I haven't see the movie. I have no idea what Slither is without making a Google search. In the cast, Fillion is the only one who appeals to me.

Where does your recommendation stand for people who are not that keen on Guardians?

I thought Their Finest was a good enough movie that it deserved a big screen. I have the same opinion about all good movies, which is one of the reasons I never watch films on planes.

*from Mars

I think you meant Murder Squid from Mars.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1355 on: September 13, 2017, 11:17:27 AM »
Where does your recommendation stand for people who are not that keen on Guardians?
Slither has Gunn's voice in the writing and Fillion is a good fit for that type of humor. Also, you can see why Gunn has stuck with Rooker al these years. What he's called on to do here is... he's a real trooper. So if you like the dialogue in Guardians, you should enjoy hearing it in the form of an R-rated gross out horror comedy. If not, that move along.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1356 on: September 13, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »
Moneyball

There are literally films even on my own top 100 that if I put them on at midnight I'd fall asleep before they were over. I put this on at midnight and finished it easily. SO few movies could accomplish that. Even when I'm rested I don't finish half the movies I start these days. They just suck and I get bored and move on. I'd already seen this twice before. I keep coming back. It doesn't seem like that kind of movie but it is. It's just such a good story with so many good moments.

That Sorkin magic...

I've heard from friends in the industry that Bennet Miller completely rewrote the script.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1357 on: September 14, 2017, 09:00:31 AM »
There is a Bergman retrospective in town.

Persona
Ingmar Bergman (1966)

Here is an easy review to write.

What the actual CINECAST!?

During the first shots I was unsure if the theatre house had decided to play a short of some sort before the movie. Nope. This was very much part of the film. What did it mean? No idea, although the credits revealed to me that the kid was the actresses' son. What did the rest of the movie mean? No clue either. I think I understood The Seventh Seal more than this.

I think I will stay with the more plotty Bergmans from now on.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1358 on: September 14, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »
Persona is an uncrackable nut. I warm up to it more with each viewing, but I feel I'm no closer to understanding it.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1359 on: September 14, 2017, 09:21:13 AM »
Isn't there an episode where Adam says the two women in Persona eventually change places and play each other? I was waiting for that to happen during the entire movie. That sounded like something I could have handled.

love