love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 683926 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #1380 on: September 20, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »
where the hell do you stay when Singapore gets such a film before other countries?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1381 on: September 20, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
Detroit
Kathryn Bigelow (2017)

I listened to a radio program the other day that was telling the story of a young black man who had recently been harassed by the police while sitting in his parked car, ultimatelly leading to the ruin of his life. It is heartening to see how much progress has been made since the Detroit riots fifty years ago.

Detroit is one of those movies that lead the foreign viewer to ask himself « What the CINECAST! is wrong with America? ». It lays bare the moral rot at the heart of racial relations in the country in its myriad forms, from outright racism to the feelings of inadequacy of white men who feel themselves robbed of what they are entitled to. There are a couple of moments of subtlety but the movie itself is more a straightforward punch in the face than anything else, and no perfume hides the rot.

If the movie can generally be described as a thriller, there are sequences where it veers into horror movie territory. As the abuse most of it takes place in escalates, the intensity and threat of the situation inexorably increase until (further) tragedy becomes unavoidable and it is only a matter of time before the powder keg explodes. Bigelow is relentless as she builds the tension up and knows how to keep it there. In its altercations with the police, Detroit manages to convey what it means to be a black American better than Get Out, the terror and sheer unfairness of it all.

To be fair, the script is not so facile that it portrays all cops or all white people as bigots and bullies, and all the black characters as innocent victims. There are infuriating scenes at the beginning that depict black men setting fire to their own neighbourhoods, looting the stores of their community or otherwise making a mess of things. Ultimately though, this is a film about the institutional prejudice of the law enforcement and judicial institutions and the manner in which abuse happens and spirals.

It is by no means a perfect movie ; its flaws are many. It is a powerful one however, and in spite of its plot problems and weak character building, it sheds a rare light into that which is darkest.

6.5/10

where the hell do you stay when Singapore gets such a film before other countries?

Does it? I never had to wait much time for a movie to be released as I remember.

I should get mother! in the following week, I think. This week was the occasion to watch other things (see above).
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1382 on: September 20, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »
Me too. We should form a some sort of group, like a cabale or a club or an army...I wonder what we should call it.

I accidentally opened the first page instead of the last and was answering a Corndog post from months ago...

Re: Harry Potter?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1383 on: September 20, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »
Yeah. Late to the party...

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1384 on: September 20, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »

Does it? I never had to wait much time for a movie to be released as I remember.

I should get mother! in the following week, I think. This week was the occasion to watch other things (see above).

Blockbusters get released at the same time, occasionally even 1 week early. But indie films and the more odd films can often be months after US release. But I think they treated this as a blockbuster given that they released it in theatres all over the island
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1385 on: September 21, 2017, 03:59:35 AM »
Yeah, I could get all the blockbusters on time and the rest of the stuff almost not at all.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1386 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:08 AM »
Hasn't Detroit been released for a while now in the US? I thought for sure at least Bondo would watch it but I have found no reviews from anyone.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1387 on: September 21, 2017, 05:56:50 AM »
Hasn't Detroit been released for a while now in the US? I thought for sure at least Bondo would watch it but I have found no reviews from anyone.

I want to see it but it isn't being released here

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1388 on: September 21, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
I love Bigelow but Detroit looks like bitter medicine. 

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1389 on: September 21, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »
Because of quality or subject matter? If the latter, it definitely is that, but it should be too.

love