Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684564 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2340 on: April 26, 2018, 11:55:28 PM »
Well yeah, but that's true of the whole movie.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2341 on: April 27, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »
Paddington 2 (2018)

The sweetest, funniest, loveliest movie I've seen in quite some time.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2342 on: April 27, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »
Avengers: Infinity War
★ ★ ★ - Very Good

From what little I read before I was expecting a lot more action and a lot less character interaction, something more like Deathly Hallows Part 2. That argument melts away anytime the Guardians of the Galaxy are involved, though I found most everyone got a nice handful of moments to play around in a non-lethal fashion.

Thanos delivers. That's all I need to say here.

Off to the Spoiler Thread...

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2343 on: April 27, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2344 on: April 29, 2018, 04:51:28 PM »
Dagon (Stuart Gordon, 2001)        1/10

Not stupid enough to be fun, not scary enough to be frightening. Gordon has officially mastered the art of being bland. I had properly lost interest after about 15 minutes. How long can one character possibly run around a single location avoiding fish-people? The answer: an entire movie.

The problem with killing everyone but one guy off right at the beginning of the film is that now you only have one character to follow! And he's stupid! He fails to acquire a useful weapon at any point and instead proceeds with a swiss army knife. And yet he manages to survive, which undermines the threat of the fish-people. They are as lousy at being villains as the protagonist is at being a hero.

Just when you thought Gordon had set the bar so low there would be no going under it, he gets out shovel and digs a tunnel.

I can't find that Ice Cream Suit movie so I will be skipping it. I'm not sad about that.

Director's Filmography
From Beyond
Dolls
Re-Animator
Space Truckers
Robot Jox
Castle Freak
Fortress
The Pit and the Pendulum
Daughter of Darkness
Dagon

Bleacher Bums (1979)
The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit (1998)
King of the Ants (2003)
Edmond (2005)
Stuck (2007)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2345 on: April 29, 2018, 06:01:30 PM »
My review, because when you've gone through something this bad, it's nice to know you're not alone.

I didn't crawl through Gordon's films step-by-step and watching Dagon was like, "I wonder what he's been up to more recently." It was the film I thought would get you to abandon this mini-Marathon, but I think this is the nadir and it's going to be uphill now.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2346 on: April 29, 2018, 06:24:21 PM »
My review, because when you've gone through something this bad, it's nice to know you're not alone.

I didn't crawl through Gordon's films step-by-step and watching Dagon was like, "I wonder what he's been up to more recently." It was the film I thought would get you to abandon this mini-Marathon, but I think this is the nadir and it's going to be uphill now.

I must commend you for that review. Good, bad, or whatever, some films are just hard to say anything about, but you definitely nailed the few highlights and lowlights there was. It really does help to be able to read and commiserate after a film like this one.

I went back just to see how Gordon's films had done financially. It's a bit of mix between low-budget stuff like Dagon, and then more expensive stuff like Robot Jox, Fortress and Space Truckers. Fortress was quite a good financial success... which I guess got him on board for the even larger budget of Space Truckers ($25M). It completely tanked though. After that I wonder how he found his way to directing a Mamet script for $10M? The only connection I can make is that Joe Montangna was in Ice Cream Suit...

My hope is that King of the Ants is really good and maybe that lead to Edmond.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2347 on: April 30, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »
The Florida Project

An exploration of life in low rent motels in Kissimmee FL just out side of Disney World through the eyes of kids. It details one summer as Moonee and her mom live in the garishly purple Magic Castle Motel. Her mom, Hailey spirals into more dangerous behavior while Moonee plays with her friends, exploring the tourist trap town. With no soundtrack or score, one feels like they are witnessing life unfolding in front of them.
It’s melancholic as it slides towards the inevitable bad ending that anyone who goes from employed to hustling, stealing and ultimately prostitution will face.
To me at least, there is no judgement in the camera’s eye - just a patient holding of space. It’s interesting how director Sean Baker can capture how spaces like hotels, built and ran to be warm and inviting, look and feel anything but to people on the fringes of society.
The ending is a jarring turn into fantasy (and hope) that left me totally satisfied.
Recommended
Hey, nice marmot!

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #2348 on: April 30, 2018, 08:52:53 PM »
It’s melancholic as it slides towards the inevitable bad ending that anyone who goes from employed to hustling, stealing and ultimately prostitution will face.

Hey! I'm sitting right here!
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2349 on: May 01, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
Black Narcissus (1947)

The Red Shoes was one of my personal cinematic discoveries a couple years ago. I watched it two or three times in short order and it quickly became one of my all-time favorite films. Unfortunately, Black Narcissus didn't grab me at all. I love the concept. Love, love, love the concept. But the execution didn't work for me. Some of those things are based on the times it was made, like the use of brown-face for a number of characters was hard to watch. And a superficial thing, but one that for some reason really took me out of the film, was just how ridiculous David Farrar looked. His costumes made him look like an alpine Peter Pan.

There are certainly some gorgeous shots and the background paintings are spectacular, but that's about all that stuck with me.

love