Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 683945 times)

Smoke

• band website
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2360 on: May 02, 2018, 11:32:00 PM »
Caught up with Close-Up...it took a couple sittings, which I hate doing but circumstances were beyond my control. I bit off the last 40 minutes or so before work today, and really bonded with that last part of the film, for whatever reason. Maybe part of it was shaking off the courtroom documentary footage (fascinating though it was) and being plunged into a more impressionistic space, particularly regarding the soundscape, be it real or not. Saw the end of the court scene, including family being asked if they forgave him...prison, release, "it's the wrong color", motorcycle, people and perfectly colored flowers seen through a cracked windshield, etc. I left for work in a trance. Plus I took meta-type stuff with me to think about at my leisure.

Recommended.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:33:53 PM by Smoke »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2361 on: May 04, 2018, 05:21:18 AM »
Did I miss the conversation about Isle of Dogs?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2362 on: May 04, 2018, 08:30:28 AM »
I watched Sullivan's Travels a few days ago it is a very good comedy. I was very surprised with a blatant reference to the 'cast couching' (although not referred as such) from a 1941 movie. Veronica Lake was great in this film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2363 on: May 06, 2018, 09:45:21 PM »
Watched Paddington 2 again today after Mrs. 1SO bought the Blu-Ray. When I first watched the movie it was before I started hearing the comparisons between Paul King's visual style and Wes Anderson. Thinking about that this time I think it's a lazy 1-to-1 to make, and if you read my reviews I'm always making this type of comparison. There is one shot where a model of the prison opens up to reveal everyone inside like a dollhouse. That reminded me directly, but King's frames aren't perfectly symmetrical like Anderson. They're precise, but not to the point of feeling fussy. Also, while a Wes Anderson moving camera goes directly in, out or sideways, King likes to curve the camera, as if capturing first base to third while the lens is planted at home plate.

I can understand somebody bringing up similarities, but you have to mention the differences as well. In a time when directors often come off as derivative of other filmmakers they admire, Paul King's visual style is more like a toy box at Christmas to be played with and not Wes Anderson's snow globes to be admired.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2364 on: May 07, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
Ghost Stories

I took a quick break from musicals and summer blockbusters for this little horror film. Based on a play (I need to see this, I've never seen a horror play), Ghost Stories is an anthology film that follows a skeptic investigator (Andy Nyman) as he tries to debunk the three events his predecessor couldn't. That connected-anthology structure gives Ghost Stories its imaginative frights and unfortunately undercuts their power. We know, because Nyman interviews each subject, that they survive their paranormal encounters and that each segment will be relatively short. The length forces things to get going pretty quickly and to hit the high notes, but it also means that the scares don't quite have time to fully develop. For me, the middle segment involving a teen getting stuck in his car out on a road in the middle of nowhere at night after hitting some kind of monster is the highlight because it doles out just enough creeps before bailing.

Ghost Stories has a few other tricks up its sleeves but those are best left to discover in the act of watching. At first I was curious about the stage version just because I didn't really know how one would make scares happen on stage, but by the end I was curious for entirely different reasons. There is maybe one thing that would probably work better on stage but Nyman (who, along with Jeremy Dyson, both wrote and directed this film too) ensures that the movie doesn't feel claustrophobic like many stage adaptations tend to be. He fully leverages the cinematic tools at his disposal to make a movie that's both frightening and surprisingly moving.

A-
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2365 on: May 09, 2018, 02:03:47 PM »
Decasia (2002)

Would be interesting playing in the background of an art installation, but as a 70-minute feature it could not sustain my attention.

Jumanji (2017)

Light and fun enough. It's all surface, the premise, the action, the jokes, which should annoy me more than it did.

Legend of the Mountain (1979)

Another great King Hu film. As usual, the first half is a very slow build, but one I found very engrossing. There's a drum battle between a monk and a demon that's one of the best scenes I've seen in awhile. A film I really liked on first viewing, and one I know I'll love even more with every rewatch.

John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous (2018)

People keep saying Mulaney's a stand-up prodigy, an unparalleled jokesmith. I. Do. Not. Get. It. Went in hoping to laugh, but just watched stone-faced. I chuckled once at an impression he did recounting some story about SNL. Everything about him seems phony. His callbacks are forced. I honestly didn't find anything about this special remotely funny.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2366 on: May 09, 2018, 03:20:13 PM »
John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous (2018)

People keep saying Mulaney's a stand-up prodigy, an unparalleled jokesmith. I. Do. Not. Get. It. Went in hoping to laugh, but just watched stone-faced. I chuckled once at an impression he did recounting some story about SNL. Everything about him seems phony. His callbacks are forced. I honestly didn't find anything about this special remotely funny.

He doesn't do it for me either. :-\

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2367 on: May 09, 2018, 10:11:43 PM »
I think I liked a couple other specials from him but Kid Gorgeous was unremarkable.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2368 on: May 09, 2018, 11:38:29 PM »
Comedy is super subjective, of course. I can't convince anyone to like Mulaney, but he's my favorite comedian at the moment. I had many LOL moments during Kid Gorgeous. I thought it lost some steam at the end... although that seems to be a common thing in comedy specials. I think a lot of comics save their most intricate and/or personal bit for the end, rather than the funniest. Still, there were plenty of laughs throughout it for me.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2369 on: May 10, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
I didn’t laugh out loud much, but I still found it just generally enjoyable. Nothing in Kid Gorgeous is as good as his recounting of The Fugitive, but it’s a pretty pleasant routine that got the name Nunsio stuck in my head.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love