Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684719 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2690 on: September 21, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
Deadpool 2

It is somewhat clever, mildly amusing and sometimes tiresome just due to all the references. I believe DH is big on this film and down on the 80's, so I am curious did you get the reference in the scene where Deadpool and his wife reunite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2691 on: September 22, 2018, 07:04:35 AM »
RBG (2018)

This seemed like the perfect week to catch up with this. Here's the story of someone who worked to overcome barriers to entry in her field and then distinguished herself in her field to truly merit a spot on the top court. Contrast that with the person currently vying for the same honor, a person who has been gifted every advantage in life, sailed by as a complete mediocrity content to do nothing more than rubber-stamp right-wing ideology. The contrast was shocking even before it was revealed he (allegedly) sexually assaulted someone in high school.

As a film, there's nothing formally challenging here really. Just a solid biography providing a background and foundation for our current "Notorious R.B.G." moment, which is enough.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2692 on: September 22, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)

Pleasant enough but with a fantastic lead performance from Lana Condor. She holds the entire thing together. What kept me from really loving the film was a lack of any truly memorable cinematic scenes. The film takes no big swings dramatically or comedically. Enjoyed it and look forward to more from Condor - she's in Deadly Class, which is pretty exciting. Hope they make the most of her talents.

MattDrufke

« Reply #2693 on: September 23, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
A Simple Favor (2018)
Dir: Paul Feig

Man, this film has a massive problem with tone. The first act is a lot of fun, setting up an interesting thriller with some wonderful casting. Anna Kendrick is great here (though maybe a bit much) and Blake Lively is just impossible to look away from. Her character is so much fun to watch that you just are so anxious to see where this movie is going.

And then it all comes off the rails. The movie tries to insert some cheap laughs (and quick one-liners) into it, and the balance Feig is clearly going for never really pays off. The jokes don't land because it was such a solid thriller, and then when it tries to return to the thriller, you've kind of been knocked around by the jokes. Would've loved to see this without Feig's need to make the audience laugh.

C+
@ihatemattdrufke

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2694 on: September 23, 2018, 09:42:59 PM »
A Million Ways To Die In The West - Seth Macfarlane and Charliza Theron have good chemistry and they deliver the jokes well. I'd seen this once before but it's still good for a lot of laughs. Some of the gags are just perfectly in poor taste. - 8/10

The Fighter - Such a frustrating group of characters. One decent guy surrounded by a bunch of trash bringing him down... but it's a true story so... Oscar. The boxing scenes were lousy. - 4/10

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2695 on: September 24, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
Sorry to Bother You

As a satire, this is a sharp edge.  As a film, it's kind of Dear White People meets Airplane! meets The Science of Sleep with a lower budget than any of these.  I've gotten so used to watching low budget films that put money into editing and has high production values, that this was a surprise.  The ambition is high, the comedy is spot on and the surrealism is fantastic... but the ambition aims higher than the production values.  It feels cheap.  The editing is spotty, the sets are cluttered, the overdub is like Italian cinema.

Still, the thinking and humor are so spot on in this film that it is hard not to enjoy.  Some of the ideas, like low level living/working facilities with dorm rooms to sleep in (like they have in China) seem like the next move for capitalism, if corporations are given the freedom to do this.  Then it moves beyond this to a Bunuel concept.  It is packed full of satire and truly funny comedy and surrealism that I will forgive it some production missteps.

4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2696 on: September 24, 2018, 06:42:03 PM »
It's interesting that the work dorm is considered futurist in this telling. It's actually an artifact of older capitalism, especially mining towns and the like, where the company would own the housing and the retail ("the company store"). Suffice it to say, having that kind of totalitarian control over a worker's living environment has the kind of power effects that make it hard for someone to escape an abusive relationship. Of course it could be like in Jennifer Government where you take on your company's name as your surname.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Had some friends bringing up references to this and saw it was on Netflix so decided to give it a rewatch. I significantly don't like it any more. The cute references I enjoyed at the time hit softly and there was just so much about the themes that ate at me even more now in the absence of the entertainment factor. Michael Cera is a charisma vacuum that makes this sequence of more interesting current and former girlfriends seem unlikely. Such was the fall from grace for the film that I didn't even enjoy Kieran Culkin in his supporting role.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2697 on: September 24, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

Watched this a few months ago and enjoyed it maybe even more, the editing is so sharp and the visual/audio design is just so engaging. Charisma vacuum  :o

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2698 on: September 24, 2018, 09:36:16 PM »
It's interesting that the work dorm is considered futurist in this telling. It's actually an artifact of older capitalism, especially mining towns and the like, where the company would own the housing and the retail ("the company store"). Suffice it to say, having that kind of totalitarian control over a worker's living environment has the kind of power effects that make it hard for someone to escape an abusive relationship. Of course it could be like in Jennifer Government where you take on your company's name as your surname.

Although I mention it as a future possibility, I was also remembering the mining towns and company towns where people owed so much to the company, they could never leave.  While it is clearly in our past, many people may find it better to live in these situations again rather than under a tarp on a sidewalk, which is another clear option for Oaklanders in the film.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2699 on: September 24, 2018, 11:14:02 PM »
The Land of Steady Habits - Struggles to develop much of a pulse. Watchable but there's ultimately not that much to takeaway.

5/10

love