Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684148 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2730 on: November 04, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
A fitting double feature about teenage girls and their fathers.

Leave No Trace (2018)
Takes awhile to overcome the remove the naturalistic style places between the viewer and the characters, but by the end it culminates in a very emotional scene. Thomasin McKenzie is very, very good. She elevates every scene, which is an especially difficult undertaking when playing against Foster's near-silent stoicism. Some lovely forest imagery.

Eighth Grade (2018)
Another fantastic performance from a young actor. Elsie Fisher anchors the film, which gets a little more credit for being a realistic examination of teenage life than I think it deserves. My viewing probably suffered because I had to keep the volume down as my wife was sleeping, and this film had one of the most obnoxious music volume to dialogue volume ratios I've ever heard.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #2731 on: November 04, 2018, 02:38:27 PM »
Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer, 2018)

Template styled biopic that belittles the creative process and takes continuity liberties. The relationship between Freddie Mercury and Mary Austin gave some fuel to the movie. Good soundtrack.

25°
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

MattDrufke

« Reply #2732 on: November 04, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »
Lean On Pete (2018)

Yes, this is a beautifully shot, well told story with some great performances, but man, does it take it out of you. After the horse died, I saw that there was still, like, 45 more minutes left in this film. HOW CAN THERE STILL BE SO MUCH SORROW.

B+
@ihatemattdrufke

Shinuslaw

« Reply #2733 on: November 07, 2018, 04:16:05 AM »
Bohemian Rhapsody
Really hard for me to be "objective" here. I love Queens music and that's why I really enjoyed the movie. Nonetheless, I'm not a big fan of the decision to leave out so many important details. The direction seemed a bit sloppy in some moments and the ending was really melodramatic.
Rami Malek is - at least - a perfect Freddie Mercury.

6,5/10

A Star is Born
I don't know the other adaption, so I went into the movie without any knowledge and I was pleasently surprised. It's more than a simple love story. The chemistry between Lady Gaga und Bradley Cooper ist really good and almost all songs fit in really well.
In the 2nd half of the movie were a few developments I wasn't a big fan of and I don't understand the praise for Sam Elliot. His character was really dull IMO.
Lady Gaga did a good job for her first acting performance I think, but Cooper steals the show for me.

7/10

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2734 on: November 07, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »
I've seen the 1954 and the 1976 Star is Born versions, and the 54 is still fresh in my mind.  I wonder if I would appreciate the new one? 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2735 on: November 07, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »
You should just go watch the Janet Gaynor version.  ;)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2736 on: November 07, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
I should.  I will.  Okay, I'll watch the 2018 version on DVD.  Before then, I have to watch the 1937 version.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2737 on: November 08, 2018, 11:03:10 PM »
What Happened, Nina Simone

A Netflix doc about one of the most amazing and troubled Musician around. While the doc is well worth every minute, this performance which is only partially captured the doc as they removed a lot of her talking and rambling before playing is worth to watch in its entirety.   

https://youtu.be/9i3leUoSdIY
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2738 on: November 09, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »
Guess I should play some catch up.

Won't You Be My Neighbor

It makes me feel like the biggest prick in the world to not like this film but...I know I watched his show when I was a child but watching this makes me think his show was kind of crap. Like, sure, good messages, but it was just a poor show. Maybe that's why it isn't the most memorable of my childhood TV.

Three Identical Strangers

Just fantastic. Joyous at times, Heartbreaking at times. Insightful into a number of things. Really well told.

Prophet's Prey

Not sure if I wrote about this or not. Felt like a mess in its organization so it kind of underwhelmed, even as its topic matter is shocking.

Ocean's 8

Sufficiently does bring back the joyous experience of Ocean's 11, with a lot of top ladies. Struck me that Cate Blanchett has resemblance of an unrequited love so now she's on the list with Taylor Swift of triggering famous people.

Sid and Nancy

Couldn't stand them, couldn't finish. Guessing it didn't have the happy ending I was hoping for (murder-suicide).

Ant-Man

I think the sequel to Ant-Man is the only MCU film I still need to catch up with. That's a big investment considering I mostly don't care for MCU. I did like this. It isn't overly serious, the stakes have the potential to be serious without being world-ending. Of course, I am the ultimate sucker about stories about fathers and daughters so when this film did go serious, it landed.

Dark River

I'm sure I added this because of Clio Barnard but I had forgotten by the time I got around to it. Once I remembered it was obvious enough since she has rather focused on grim stories of Yorkshire and the like. Strong turn out of Ruth Wilson in a good but not great film, probably the least of the three Barnard films, but an impressive average.

The Land of Steady Habits

Watching this with a friend I observed this was an unusual role for Ben Mendelsohn because he wasn't some criminal tough. Soon it was revealed he may be a bit of an asshole though. This is a sharply written film. Funny at times and well acted in its dramatic moments. Really captures a certain emotionally unavailable New England WASP family vibe. Probably recommendable to fans of The Ice Storm.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before

Cute HS Romance film. Premised upon a girl who writes love letters to boys she imagines relationships with, but without intention of actually sending them, it did connect a bit to feeling currently I have a couple friendships with women where I'm not sure if there is something more lingering there for the asking. The message of being honest with your feelings seems apt, but is life so simple or tied up with a bow as a movie rom com?

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #2739 on: November 10, 2018, 12:31:43 AM »

Won't You Be My Neighbor

…watching this makes me think his show was kind of crap. Like, sure, good messages, but it was just a poor show.

This raises an interesting question. What would make a good show for preschoolers? And how do you think "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" fell short?

Full disclosure: I was already too old for it when it started airing on our local PBS channel, and my friends and I mocked it unmercifully.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:35:44 AM by don s. »
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red