love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684129 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2750 on: November 13, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »
Passengers (2016) 

Has this film landed in your top 100? If so, I'll watch it for movie club, if not, I'll still put it on my watchlist. Do I need to see The Shining first? :)

Oh, you'll be alright either way. Definitely a "no homework required" sort of film. That said, and on a completely unrelated note, I would absolutely recommend seeing The Shining. As a first experience I would make no guesses as how it might actually strike you, but in this case I would recommend it all the same. Almost just to get it out of the way. Not to get it over with in the sense that it's some tiresome but required viewing, but just that I think anyone's first sitting with that film will be inconclusive. Like a person would say afterward "I just watched The Shining... what did I just watch?" Where it goes from there is hard to say. You may stew in it for years, you may see it again right away. I wouldn't presume to push you any particular direction, suffice it to say I think seeing that first time (and maybe only time) is an interesting door to open. :)

edit: but yes I will make room for Passengers in the lower tiers of my next list I think. I'm kind of working on that right now. My stale old list from 2 or 3 years ago is all cobwebby. My top 20 needs some strong reworking to reflect recent obsessions. One time viewings will likely all fall away completely, barring a revisit. In a few cases a revisit is something I'm looking forward to, and of those whose to say what will remain. Others I'm not compelled to revisit will drop off. I'll let my current level of interest be my guide. Though it could make for quite a short list :))

Please don't think this meme isn't self critical. My spice rack is embarrassingly pretentious.
Pics or it doesn't exist! :)
That's one box that hasn't been unpacked just yet. :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:17:26 PM by smirnoff »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2751 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:51 AM »
Oh, you'll be alright either way. Definitely a "no homework required" sort of film. That said, and on a completely unrelated note, I would absolutely recommend seeing The Shining. As a first experience I would make no guesses as how it might actually strike you, but in this case I would recommend it all the same. Almost just to get it out of the way. Not to get it over with in the sense that it's some tiresome but required viewing, but just that I think anyone's first sitting with that film will be inconclusive. Like a person would say afterward "I just watched The Shining... what did I just watch?" Where it goes from there is hard to say. You may stew in it for years, you may see it again right away. I wouldn't presume to push you any particular direction, suffice it to say I think seeing that first time (and maybe only time) is an interesting door to open. :)

I should have tried to fit it in Shocktober! When I was young, I saw a few scenes, so I hope it doesn't mess with my "first time" door opening. :) I'm much more inclined to watch Passengers, especially after you championed it, but am wanting the challenge of The Shining too. If not sooner, then no later than Oct. 2019!

edit: but yes I will make room for Passengers in the lower tiers of my next list I think. I'm kind of working on that right now. My stale old list from 2 or 3 years ago is all cobwebby. My top 20 needs some strong reworking to reflect recent obsessions. One time viewings will likely all fall away completely, barring a revisit. In a few cases a revisit is something I'm looking forward to, and of those whose to say what will remain. Others I'm not compelled to revisit will drop off. I'll let my current level of interest be my guide. Though it could make for quite a short list :))

How fun you make it sound! I can't wait to see the updated list and how it has shuffled around. I can see you sitting there being ruthless with your drop offs, but remember, you still get a hundred! :))

Pics or it doesn't exist! :)
That's one box that hasn't been unpacked just yet. :)

:) I'll take a rain check then.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2752 on: November 14, 2018, 09:48:10 AM »
I am not really a fan of Passengers.  It made me realize that Chris Pratt is only one of my favorite actors when he's in a broad comedic role. I have a hard time forgiving this film for not being a rom com.

But I must have been sleepy/apathetic enough about the film to not notice the obvious connections to The Shining.  So thank you for that. Another connection is that both films have to do with the horrible things one does when one is bored, or the dehumanization of loneliness.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2753 on: November 14, 2018, 01:04:56 PM »
I should have tried to fit it in Shocktober! When I was young, I saw a few scenes, so I hope it doesn't mess with my "first time" door opening. :)

I doubt if The Shining is a film could be spoiled. I wouldn't know how if I wanted to. :)

I am not really a fan of Passengers.  It made me realize that Chris Pratt is only one of my favorite actors when he's in a broad comedic role. I have a hard time forgiving this film for not being a rom com.

But I must have been sleepy/apathetic enough about the film to not notice the obvious connections to The Shining.  So thank you for that. Another connection is that both films have to do with the horrible things one does when one is bored, or the dehumanization of loneliness.

The ingredients are there for a film nearer in tone to The Shining. Assemble the film in such a way that it begins with Jennifer Lawrence waking up, and the film is from her perspective. Both her and the audience are unaware of the real reason her pod has failed. It proceeds like a rom com, up until Pratt's secret is revealled. She, and we, are horrified. And Pratt is now a villain in our eyes. Later Pratt dies when he sacrifices himself. And now alone on the ship Lawrence is faced with the situation for which she was so anrgy at Pratt. To be alone forever or wake someone else up. And somewhere in there we cut back to Pratt's time alone, and sympathize with a character which up till now we've been angry at. There's a good argument, that in this light, Pratt's performance takes on a completely different quality.

The fact that the film doesn't go this route though doesn't mean those questions aren't still whirling around after it's over. It's all there, which is what I think makes it a pretty rich film
. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2754 on: November 14, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »
I doubt if The Shining is a film could be spoiled. I wouldn't know how if I wanted to. :)

:)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2755 on: November 15, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »
Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grindlewald

Hmmm, yeah so that was a thing.
The twist at the end was so clumsy that I groaned.
Nice world building and characterization.
The opening set piece was awesome.
I’ll be interested in hearing the opinions from you guys...
Hey, nice marmot!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2756 on: November 15, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »
I'm headed to Jersey City for work. I think by the time I can see this Ralph Breaks the Internet will be playing, so I'll have to make time for both of them.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2757 on: November 15, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
Enjoy Jersey City! Love it there.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2758 on: November 15, 2018, 11:29:23 PM »
I'm headed to Jersey City for work. I think by the time I can see this Ralph Breaks the Internet will be playing, so I'll have to make time for both of them.

That's the wrong part of NJ, 1SO  >:(

See if you can get Tony Baloney's from Hoboken at the very least!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2759 on: November 15, 2018, 11:47:53 PM »
Flight take off delayed 4 hours.
Then Diverted to Dulles.
After waiting in line at Customer Service for 3 hours, power goes out.
It’s now 12:45AM. I have to make a 7A bus to Newark to make work in Jersey City by 4P.