Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684054 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2880 on: December 24, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
Revenge

1SO, I don't think this is #FBC but it uses the elements to deconstruct certain aspects of the genre.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2881 on: December 24, 2018, 09:55:23 PM »
I thought that may be the case! The trailer makes the film look like a dumb knock off of A Quiet Place.

I'd put it at 80% dumb knockoff of The Happening, 15% dumb knock off of A Quiet Place, and 5% dumb knock off of the part of Catching Fire where the jabberjays mimic the convos of loved ones suffering, though the book is old enough to not have been influenced by any of them.

Like, I think The Happening stands on its own feet, but this only makes it look more like a well composed piece of cinema. Not only do I think The Happening is more stylistic in its horror, it actually amounts to something where the why is concerned. How bad Bird Box manages to be is shocking with Suzanne Bier and this cast attached.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2882 on: December 24, 2018, 11:01:24 PM »
Revenge

1SO, I don't think this is #FBC but it uses the elements to deconstruct certain aspects of the genre.
It also uses the elements to support the genre's tropes. I would say 65% reinforcement to a 35% deconstruction.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2883 on: December 25, 2018, 12:50:30 AM »

A Fantastic Woman
Sebastián Lelio, 2017

Every positive review for this movie left me baffled. The movie I watched was frustratingly mediocre, in paint-by-numbers fashion, with few moments of inspiration. It might have made for a daring TV movie in the late 80s, but I have different expectations for a Best Foreign Language Film Oscar-Winner in 2018.

Grade: C

I've seen an unusually high amount of baffling films from Top 10 Lists and Awards this year. This is better than those if only for the acting, but yeah I was also surprised by how little there is to this. The importance of the film's existence fills in the void created by the film itself. I repeatedly read about three scenes that are considered the standouts. (Vaguely: the doctor, the nightclub, the masking tape). They are the only moments I will remember a week from now.

Disobedience (2017)
★ ★ ˝
Same director, similar problem. Rachel Weisz comes home after her Orthodox Jewish father has passed away and meets up with her old friend (Rachel McAdams). McAdams' character is gay and got married because community pressure made her believe it would "solve her problem." Exploring the long-term damage of living gay in a world that doesn't accept it is really fresh, but again so little happens that when coming up with memorable moments I immediately have to go to the Inter-Rachel sex scene, (not my joke) and the use of an overused Cure song ("Lovesong") that gets fresh meaning in this new context.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2884 on: December 25, 2018, 02:44:33 PM »
Revenge

It also uses the elements to support the genre's tropes. I would say 65% reinforcement to a 35% deconstruction.

For me it felt like a wider split, especially since I see a pretty big aspect being the way it tends to reflect/grapple with/examine masculinity, which this certainly does, but it's not coming from a masculine perspective, which tends to be a big deal in a lot of them. Where you still have this clearly troubled character who does bad things, but maintains 'coolness' ala Drive or Fight Club. Here all the men are the actual worst. Though Thurman is a pretty big part of Pulp Fiction, but I'm not sure this works the same way that one does.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2885 on: December 25, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »
Roma (2018)

The highbrow critic in me would draw parallels between this and Italian neorealism, with its slice of life, hardship-infused realism, in black and white no less. The lowbrow critic in me would draw parallels between this and Italian neorealism, with its profound inducement of boredom owing to very little happening. Cuaron arguably came into this as my #1 director, though he is a low-volume director. I can't hold this against him too fiercely...it was clearly personal for him and the response suggests my disconnect is much to do with my own issues with this style of film. Still, if I have to wait four years between films, I'm hoping this isn't the start of a phase.

I am not quite sure what to make of the new Netflix approach of throwing money at art-house directors. It was exciting in theory compared to what comes from the other streaming producers, but what we've gotten are my least favorite Cuaron and Bier movies this month. The Coen Brothers are the main names who have thoroughly delivered in the film realm (the Wachowski's having delivered in the TV format).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2886 on: December 25, 2018, 11:24:01 PM »
A 2nd viewing that clarified my position.

Mary Poppins Returns
★ ★ ★ ˝

When Force Awakens came out there was a common criticism that the story beats too closely resembled A New Hope. I see it in two moments - Rey alone at the beginning and the bigger Death Star towards the end - but think Force stands up just fine on its own because of the fresh characters and fun dialogue. I can't say the same about Mary Poppins Returns. If you don't recognize that [new song] is a modern version of [classic song] the score will often drop in the original to remind you. Lines of dialogue and even some shots tip off that this sequel is actually a remake and while there's plenty here to make this film different and much of it is "as good" as the original, there's nothing that stands out as better. For example, Lin-Manuel Miranda is nothing like Dick Van Dyke, but DVD is more comfortable working his goofy magic in front of the camera while LMM evokes a John Boyega joy at getting to be in a Mary Poppins film.

All that said, being mostly as good as a film that's in my Top 100 is pretty special. Now, while the rest of you have to catch up with the film, I'll leave you with my brief thoughts on the key songs.
(Underneath the) Lovely London Sky
Nothing special but interesting to see LMM in a more traditional musical role. (This was the one song written before he was cast and you can tell.)

A Conversation
This is the 4min you have to get through. Actually not that bad but a cold stop early in the film and not necessary since the dialogue scenes cover the same ground.

Can You Imagine That?
A bold gamble to put the most CG heavy adventure up front. Kind of frothy, but it digs into the brain mainly by becoming Poppins main theme music for this film.

The Royal Doulton Music Hall
A short and bouncy tune, with nonsensical lyrics that come closest to Sherman Bros. (especially Supercali...). I love the brassy spin Blunt puts on the word "Music". Julie Andrews would never.

A Cover is Not the Book
I love this more and more with each listen. Catchy as hell and containing the verse where LMM most gets to do his thing.

The Place Where Lost Things Go
Because it's evoking both "Stay Awake" and "Feed the Birds" I want to love this song more. The lyrics aren't quite there

Turning Turtle
Meryl Streep being goofy. Disposable but fun.

Trip a Little Light Fantastic
As a song this is just Okay, but like the original's "Step in Time" it's the presentation that turns it into one of the highlights.

Nowhere to Go But Up
After narrowly averting comparisons to songs from the original, this one directly borrows from "Let's Go Fly a Kite." Despite the lack of originality, I like it but it's also the most sticky sweet tune. Thank goodness the moment where things get unbearably Disney isn't until the end.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2887 on: December 26, 2018, 03:01:51 AM »
I thought that may be the case! The trailer makes the film look like a dumb knock off of A Quiet Place.

I'd put it at 80% dumb knockoff of The Happening, 15% dumb knock off of A Quiet Place, and 5% dumb knock off of the part of Catching Fire where the jabberjays mimic the convos of loved ones suffering, though the book is old enough to not have been influenced by any of them.

It's more like 90% The Mist.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2888 on: December 26, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »
Watchmen: Director's Cut
Now that I've seen the film three times and read the comic twice, I'm really beginning to appreciate it.  I like the presentation which is halfway between live action and computer animation.  The complexity of the story and the characters don't necessary translate well to a three hour movie, but it is perfect for re-watches, giving the themes and the reactions time to percolate and be analyzed.  I think I'll be putting this in my top 300, if not my top 100.

4.5/5

Holy Motors
So is this the life of a Netflix performer?  Forced to perform character scenes at a high level, driving around Paris all day?

There's still a lot in this film to consider and ruminate over.  But it feels more disjointed, without a cohesive whole, as if someone had a number of pieces and decided to just throw them together, like the recent Coen Bros project.  On the other hand, the jarring jumps from performance within the film to being unsure if it is performance or the actor's real life is marvelous.  Still makes me think, still a keeper.

4/5

The Favourite
Placed in the growing group of "savage costume dramas", which is becoming a favorite of mine, although my wife would never care for it.  Unlikable people placed in sympathetic situations where they claw their way to freedom or prison. The direction, writing and performances are perfectly in line to present an ugly, but realistic portrayal that is more I, Claudius than The Madness of King George.  Out of the main three performances, I'd give my award to Olivia Coleman for Queen Anne who is in turns childish, horror-inducing, sympathetic and wise, all remaining completely in character.  Weisz is my second choice who remains noble in every syllable and movement, despite facing hell.   I really enjoyed my time, but it won't become a favourite of mine.

4/5

Fantastic Beasts: Crimes

I'm taking this one to the spoiler thread.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2889 on: December 26, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »
Eighth Grade

Pretty glad I came of age pre-social media. Middle school was an awkward time, but at least the scope and memory of the awkwardness was finite. Eighth grade certainly does a good job of capturing that painful awkwardness of everything, making for a cringeworthy viewing experience. It is on significantly less firm footing in scenes where the dad is involved. I don't know if they are going for some sort of unreliable narration through her perspective that exaggerates his oddness, but it just fell flat. Ultimately, given the praise, it slightly underperformed for me but is still one of the better films this year.