Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684819 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3010 on: January 28, 2019, 08:02:20 PM »
I'm doing a monthly challenge by filling certain "categories", and I had one where I had to watch an Australian film.

Is that challenge something you laid out for yourself or is it something you found someplace? I'd enjoy seeing it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3011 on: January 28, 2019, 08:38:03 PM »
Sounds like a filmic scavenger hunt, which seems pretty fun, especially if you get creative with categories.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3012 on: January 28, 2019, 08:50:02 PM »
Welcome Thief. Where did you find out about An Accidental Soldier, I missed that it even existed until now?

I'm doing a monthly challenge by filling certain "categories", and I had one where I had to watch an Australian film. I tried some like Mad Max 2, Gallipoli, and The Tracker, but none of those were available on any streaming service. In the end, I just browsed Amazon Prime for Australian films, and it was one of the first that popped up.

Some (not me) create threads in the Marathon section to go through and post on certain categories of films. If you want to track your monthly challenges, you could create threads here: 

http://forum.filmspotting.net/index.php?board=4.0

Or join some that are already going on. But feel free to post here as almost everybody reads this thread
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #3013 on: January 28, 2019, 09:09:04 PM »
I'm doing a monthly challenge by filling certain "categories", and I had one where I had to watch an Australian film.

Is that challenge something you laid out for yourself or is it something you found someplace? I'd enjoy seeing it.

I did it last year with some categories I picked up from a "Film Bingo" someone shared on a forum years ago. This year I came up with the categories myself, set it at fifteen per month. Helps to keep me focused on a goal while also "forcing" me to watch films I might not have seen otherwise (i.e. The Accidental Soldier)

When I have a chance tomorrow, I'll post more about it on the topic that jdc suggested.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #3014 on: January 28, 2019, 09:10:48 PM »
Sounds like a filmic scavenger hunt, which seems pretty fun, especially if you get creative with categories.

Yeah, I'm trying to mix some conventional categories (an action film, a film from the 1960s) with some more random and/or fun (a box office bomb, a film with a blind character, etc.)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3015 on: January 29, 2019, 12:16:00 AM »

Seder-Masochism (2018)

I don't know what Nina Paley does for money but I hope she gets a raise real soon. Because of her disdain for Copyright and refusal to pay for song rights, her work is distributed freely. Probably a big reason why she's only made two features in 10 years. I say this because I want to see more of her art, but also because I want to see her grow as an artist. SM has all the style of Sita and uses a similar framework of explaining religion, but it's more a collection of odds and ends.

Sita weaves the tale of Ramayana with a personal one by Paley, using three bickering narrators to tie it together. The only dialogue in SM comes from some friendly questions she asks her father. These moments have a similar casual humor, but they sometimes jerk the story to the next topic or, in the case of Paley deciding where to place the microphone, have nothing to do with the film at all. There are occasional moments where Paley points out this is history as written by "a series of patriarchal males," but her feminist mirror never transforms the material. It ends up a three-quarters baked idea.

With a lot less dialogue, that means a lot more songs and the soundtrack is often inspired. However, aside from some clever animation, these scenes (especially so many) start to feel like a music video art installation more than a movie. One of Sita's great pleasures is its ability to blend many unique styles into a true work of zany animated jazz art. This shows what magic alchemy that film was. Still fun because nobody makes films like Nina Paley, but if you don't know that already this will probably turn you off of her talent.
Rating: ★ ★ ★ - Good

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3016 on: January 29, 2019, 12:18:43 AM »
Her Smell (Alex Ross Perry, 2018)
I thought this was coming out around the same time as Vox Lux, but I think it's hitting US theaters in the Spring. I hope it's easier to find than VL, though at this point I'll probably wait till both films are streaming.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #3017 on: January 29, 2019, 03:28:27 AM »
Seder-Masochism (2018)

Rating: ★ ★ ★ - Good
Your review covered it neatly! I saw the movie in a theater yesterday and I enjoyed it's easy going pacing very much. Maybe a deeper understanding of judaism would have made some motifs more understandable. I have not seen Sita Sings The Blues, but will try to asap!
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3018 on: January 29, 2019, 03:54:19 AM »
Along Came A Spider (Lee Tamahori, 2001)        5/10

I wonder which film was the first to exaggerate the capabilities of computers to enhance an image. We still don't have tech as good as they feature in this film. It combines the "enhance" trope with the "clue in the reflection of something" trope... basically Morgan Freeman detectives the shit out stuff in all the ways movies detectives usually do. This ain't no Seven though, sadly. Early role for Anton Yelchin... one of his first. There's a handful of twists I'm not sure would hold up to scrutiny, but they keep the film ticking over.

You Were Never Really Here (Lynne Ramsey, 2017)        6/10

A familiar kind of story with enough of it's own flavour to keep me going-ish. To be honest it's really just different-weird a lot of the time. Johnny Greenwood's score comes in and sets you on edge (the best parts of it laid in too lightly for my tastes, but whatever). You get a lot of fever dream stuff to try and make sense of. A mix of obscured violence and extremely graphic violence. Joaquin plays a hammer, everyone else plays a nail. You get the idea. Ramsey's silent lingering moments aren't my cup of tea. That sort of thing so rarely is, and there's a lot of 'em.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3019 on: January 29, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
Along Came A Spider (Lee Tamahori, 2001)        5/10

I wonder which film was the first to exaggerate the capabilities of computers to enhance an image.

My guess would be Blade Runner when Harrison Ford does almost a complete apartment search off of one photograph with no loss of quality.