love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684075 times)

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3030 on: January 29, 2019, 05:24:08 PM »
  • A film about the Prohibition, gangsters, and/or early 20th Century organized crime (18th Amendment, January 29/Al Capone, died January 25): Lawless

I could count this film towards a "A film about your relatives" category  :D

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3031 on: January 29, 2019, 05:28:07 PM »
I love Enemy of the State. Caught it on cable the other day. But yes, that "enhancement" is pretty ridiculous.

I miss Gene Hackman's yelling.

I love Enemy of the State. The sequel to The Conversation we never knew we needed.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3032 on: January 29, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)        8/10

There's probably more than enough material here to make a bingeable TV show. Crammed into a film it could be an overload of information, but they organize it well. The free flowing revelations give the film great momentum.

I did get a bit tired of having to watch Gyllenhaal's character get turned away again and again by detectives. At first it's understandable, since he's just a cartoonist with an interest in seeing the case solved. Eventually though it starts to feel like people assigned to the case are just too apathetic to listen, or they've resigned themselves to believing nothing that's uncovered will be strong enough to get a conviction. But I guess that's probably how it was, and how it is. It's a subtly damning film.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #3033 on: January 29, 2019, 05:47:55 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Fincher so, yeah, I loved Zodiac. My 2nd favorite of his films.

I think the detectives apparent apathy serves two purposes. First, it's kind of an extension of the ideas that Fincher started in Seven ("apathy is a solution") and how the detectives are just "picking up diamonds on a deserted island". And second, it serves to heighten Gyllenhaal's obsession and quest for answers, which is the main theme of the film.

I love it.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3034 on: January 29, 2019, 06:42:02 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Fincher so, yeah, I loved Zodiac. My 2nd favorite of his films.

I think the detectives apparent apathy serves two purposes. First, it's kind of an extension of the ideas that Fincher started in Seven ("apathy is a solution") and how the detectives are just "picking up diamonds on a deserted island".

Hmm, that's great call back! I was hesitant to call it apathy, but now you've made me feel it was the right word after all. You've given me a good excuse to revisit Seven. I'd like to see those scenes in context again and see what sort of conclusion the film reaches regarding that line of discussion, if any. Also, just to see it again period, since it's been probably 5 years.

I'm guessing Seven is your favourite Fincher then?

And second, it serves to heighten Gyllenhaal's obsession and quest for answers, which is the main theme of the film.

I do love the points it makes. The official investigation seems to let itself get bogged down by the burden of proof before they've actually connected all the dots and seen the bigger picture. Gyllenhaal doesn't operate under those conditions. And then he shows there's something to be said for simply being active. He doesn't require a particular reason to go through the motions... he shows how activity can precede purpose.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3035 on: January 29, 2019, 07:44:06 PM »

Any chance you have watched the Korean film, Memories of Murder?  Very similar story and focus, more about those that get obsessed about catching a serial murder than focusing on the actual murder. It came out a bit before Zodiac and also is based on a true story in Korea.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #3036 on: January 29, 2019, 08:19:37 PM »

Any chance you have watched the Korean film, Memories of Murder?  Very similar story and focus, more about those that get obsessed about catching a serial murder than focusing on the actual murder. It came out a bit before Zodiac and also is based on a true story in Korea.

A lot of people have recommended it to me, but I still haven't gotten around to it. I did like two of his other films (The Host and Snowpiercer), so it's on my "short" list.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #3037 on: January 29, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »
I'm guessing Seven is your favourite Fincher then?

Definitely. I just love that film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3038 on: January 29, 2019, 08:22:37 PM »
I wonder which film was the first to exaggerate the capabilities of computers to enhance an image.
My guess would be Blade Runner when Harrison Ford does almost a complete apartment search off of one photograph with no loss of quality.
I think Blade Runner gets a pass for being in the future.
That was my first thought too. Then I watched the clip and, damn. That's some extreme enhancement, even for however many years in the future it is. Either way, I haven't thought of a film that's done enhancement earlier.

I thought of it because Blade Runner is such an influential film, and a scene like this, the tech seems possible. Even if not to this extent in our time, you know there's some level of enlarge/enhance capable at crime labs right now. Filmmakers hate to date themselves with old tech so they will often do something that seems like it will be common in the near future.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3039 on: January 29, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »
So happy to see the return of tinyholidays I didn't want to comment with disagreements. Then I felt bad that nobody was responding.

Avengers: Infinity War:  Actually a lot of fun. Somehow, I enjoy seeing Marvel movies now. Cannot imagine watching it again.
Yeah, I thought the exact same... wait, what?!?

Incredibles 2:  Aside from Jack Jack, I didn't enjoy anything about this. The Incredibles is the pinnacle of Pixar's libertarian perspective. Why does it seem like this is the first time Mr. Incredible has ever been alone with his children?
I can agree with a lot of this. One of the best things about Into the Spider-verse is there's a good chance this unworthy sequel will not win an Oscar.

Mary Poppins Returns:  Even more embarrassing than Isle of Dogs. There's a video going around about the making of the bathtub scene that looks better than the film itself. All these Disney live-action films have a horrible patina overlaying them.
Did I say how happy I am to see you posting again? Good, because I am and I also don't agree with any of this. It's the best film Rob Marshall will ever make. Overall, I'm not a fan of these Disney live-action films, but a couple of them are surprisingly good and this one is the best of the bunch.

love