love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684128 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3050 on: January 30, 2019, 08:16:39 PM »
Up in the Air is still an important film to me for personal reasons. As a traveling consultant, it hit home and prompted me to move on from that job. I didn’t want to live that lifestyle anymore, as potentially glamorous as it may have seemed from the outside (It wasn’t. At all.).
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3051 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:28 PM »
Annihilation:  I've woken up a few times with the score in my head. Not as scary/freaky as everyone said it was. Has Natalie Portman ever emoted?

Hasn't she? I mean I would rattle off some titles, but I guess your feeling is that she does it badly?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3052 on: January 30, 2019, 09:22:20 PM »
I do feel, from experience, that one always underacts getting fired because of shock.

Fahrenheit 11/9

Police: "Do They Have Any Weapons?"
Office: "Michael Moore is here."

Pending yet another rewatch, I maintain that Bowling For Columbine is a great film. But man, I just don't go for his style anymore. In hindsight, his Nader support and "Both parties are the same" rhetoric in 2000 was particularly obnoxious. He stans Bernie Sanders at points here. He also comes out against Nancy Pelosi...which feels dated already. He's not helping, like, it's just super dumb. He hasn't learned anything from the past two decades.

Though his focus on Flint's water crisis here makes me think...if the President can declare a natural emergency and do whatever the CINECAST! he wants, maybe instead of a wall on the Southern border he should fund new water infrastructure in Flint and elsewhere.

The best thing Moore does here is give time to the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS. Admittedly we don't have a lot of time to save ourselves from climate change, but if anything is going to save us, it is going to be these post-Millennials. They take no shit, nor should they, They are good, whereas Michael Moore is bad.

D

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3053 on: January 31, 2019, 01:14:04 AM »
Cowboys & Aliens (2011)
★ ★
As the lowest rated film on this list, and Jon Favreau's worst film according to StudentOFilm, goodguy and DarkeningHumour I expected this to be a lot worse, like "How Did This Get Made" bad, with giant plot holes and painful dialogue. The biggest crime is that the film's kind of boring. The high concept never evolves into anything unique, especially in regards to the Aliens. (Just making them H.R. Giger's Aliens, like James Cameron's Aliens, would've improved the film.)

Why not also embrace the team up of Indiana Jones and James Bond? Daniel Craig is a great badass, possibly even better than his Bond. I love the way he tells Paul Dano - in another of his crybaby jerk performances - he can get them unchained and when Dano asks how, Craig smashes the guy's wrist. Harrison Ford tries to be John Wayne in The Searchers and for his troubles he gets pushed aside for Olivia Wilde and Sam Rockwell.

I like Favreau as a director. The period look is a bit digital, but the production value is very high, from the costumes to the sets to the effects. It took awhile for me to realize the story was going to hang everyone out to dry, but it got there and by the really long final battle - where the cowboy's pistols look really stupid firing at these massive beasties - I kind of checked out and just started marking off all the character payoffs the film had been setting up.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #3054 on: January 31, 2019, 01:58:11 PM »
Annihilation:  I've woken up a few times with the score in my head. Not as scary/freaky as everyone said it was. Has Natalie Portman ever emoted?

Hasn't she? I mean I would rattle off some titles, but I guess your feeling is that she does it badly?

I like some of her films. I loved Black Swan. But I never connect with any of the emotions that she's conveying. There's a barrier, a stiffness in her face and voice. I haven't seen Jackie or Vox Lux yet.

Maybe part of why I liked Black Swan so much was that she already comes across as rehearsed and presentational to me. It fits the character.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3055 on: January 31, 2019, 04:24:56 PM »
*Insert crying scene from Revenge of the Sith here*

Hey, you didn't ask if she ever emoted "well."

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #3056 on: January 31, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
Cowboys & Aliens (2011)
★ ★
As the lowest rated film on this list, and Jon Favreau's worst film according to StudentOFilm, goodguy and DarkeningHumour I expected this to be a lot worse, like "How Did This Get Made" bad, with giant plot holes and painful dialogue. The biggest crime is that the film's kind of boring. The high concept never evolves into anything unique, especially in regards to the Aliens. (Just making them H.R. Giger's Aliens, like James Cameron's Aliens, would've improved the film.)

Why not also embrace the team up of Indiana Jones and James Bond? Daniel Craig is a great badass, possibly even better than his Bond. I love the way he tells Paul Dano - in another of his crybaby jerk performances - he can get them unchained and when Dano asks how, Craig smashes the guy's wrist. Harrison Ford tries to be John Wayne in The Searchers and for his troubles he gets pushed aside for Olivia Wilde and Sam Rockwell.

I like Favreau as a director. The period look is a bit digital, but the production value is very high, from the costumes to the sets to the effects. It took awhile for me to realize the story was going to hang everyone out to dry, but it got there and by the really long final battle - where the cowboy's pistols look really stupid firing at these massive beasties - I kind of checked out and just started marking off all the character payoffs the film had been setting up.

This is a frustrating movie. I wanted it to be good but it's not. From memory the main problem i had is that it felt like no one was really trying. Especially Harrison Ford.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #3057 on: January 31, 2019, 07:47:12 PM »
I think a part of it for me was "I paid to see this!!!"  ;D

It's certainly watchable (I have passed it while channel surfing), but I think 1SO hits on something by saying it's boring.

From memory, I think there's a version of the movie that more firmly embraces the zany tone. As it stands, it felt like a blockbuster trying to take itself too seriously instead of running with the concept and doing something cool/unique. with it.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3058 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:23 PM »
On a week-long free trial of Shudder so going on a mini-horror binge.

Prevenge

The portmanteau title sort of gives it up...Alice Lowe (actually very pregnant) is morning the loss of her partner whose child she carries. Her unborn child craves revenge. Not overly stylish but a fairly appealing oddity.

B

Always Shine

Two friends (Mackenzie Davis and Caitlin FitzGerald) who are both actresses take a weekend trip and career jealousy rages. Hints of Persona as identity gets a bit bendy...and confusing...and ultimately hollow.

C-

The Devil's Doorway

We need a young priest and an old priest. Two priests, including an old cynic who spends his career essentially disproving miracles, show up at a convent where there are some pretty stark abuses on the surface, but seemingly even darker things below the surface. Found footage horror that is often effective though does commit some of the problems of the sub-genre of creating artificial tech lapses meant to amplify tension but tend to take me out.

B-

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3059 on: January 31, 2019, 09:11:23 PM »
Prevenge

The portmanteau title

aka portmantitle