Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 63891 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3150 on: February 13, 2019, 11:21:53 PM »
Pocahontas

I feel like I need to watch The New World again to wash the stink of this picture off of me. Rating: Crap (24)
Yup, it's pretty terrible. The songs are Alan Menkin's worst output, the storytelling is Saturday morning cartoon level and the comedic elements stink. I do think it has some decent moments of animation, but given how unenjoyable the rest of the movie is, I've found it one of the weaker movies of this era of Disney.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3151 on: February 13, 2019, 11:23:18 PM »
Pocahontas - One day I should research my entire top 250 list and see which film has the most writing credits. I did a cursory search of the dozen or so I suspected might have a lot, and Casablanca and In the Loop came out on top with 5 each. This movie has 27 writing credits. It took 26 guys -- and one woman -- to crank out this steaming pile of shit. I can't even deal with writing about how terrible this stupid movie is. I liked the raccoon and the hummingbird. There was some very pretty scenery. That's about it for positives. I feel like I need to watch The New World again to wash the stink of this picture off of me. Rating: Crap (24)
Agree. It's in my Bottom 5. (Still better than Cars 2.)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3152 on: February 13, 2019, 11:46:53 PM »
I was thrown by some of the recasting. Didn't realize for awhile that Brolin was playing the same character as Clive Owen.

He was? What the? Did they care AT ALL about making him resemble Clive Owen's character, or am I just blind? Where were his red chuck's?
I didn't notice until they ran into the girls of Old Town, and when Rosario Dawson said Dwight, it clicked with me that this is the same guy. I get replacing the deceased Michael Clarke Duncan with Dennis Haysbert, though putting him in the same uniform they look like a before and after photo of Al Roker. As for switching Miho from Devon Aoki to Jamie Chung, you got me. It's not like the role required any special acting.

All of this is news to me. It's weird, it's not like any of the story really depended on them being those characters (well, maybe Miho since she was so specific), but in her case I couldn't tell it wasn't the same actress.... I was fine accepting that Haysbert was just some other big enforcer dude.

I hope they do a third film. I miss the poetic bookends featuring Josh Hartnett in that first film. The whole film felt more poetic. Dame was missing that I think.
The dialogue definitely lacked poetry, though I though the Joseph Gordon-Levitt poker story worked in a similar way to Hartnett.
That's true. He was good. Reminiscent of his Brick coolness, with a touch more swagger. :)

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #3153 on: February 14, 2019, 03:46:18 AM »
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Frank Miller & Robert Rodriguezm, 2014)         6/10

This is what kept the film on my radar and smirnoff is right, the film's not bad. Definitely a step down, but I like the world and the style. The script is the main problem, but it's nice to see Rodriguez come up with images with having to follow Frank Miller's playbook. (I know Miller had a big hand here too, but not as much as the first film.) I was thrown by some of the recasting. Didn't realize for awhile that Brolin was playing the same character as Clive Owen.

He was? What the? Did they care AT ALL about making him resemble Clive Owen's character, or am I just blind? Where were his red chuck's?

I think in the first Sin City, someone mentions his "new face." Because the second movie is a prequel so maybe he has some kind of surgery between the stories.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3154 on: February 14, 2019, 07:29:21 AM »
Crazy Rich Asians

This started off so well. Attractive, charming people having chemistry and making you cheer for them. And there is an allure to the fabulous wealth that Rachel (Constance Wu) is thrown into via her boyfriend's family. And if Rachel isn't a good enough audience perspective on this, we have Awkwafina as the perfectly relatable more removed observer of all the insanity. I've enjoyed her in a few things now but this supporting role was particularly great with very little screen time. It all had me again feeling that diversity really is bringing so much more richness to the cinematic world.

But then it gets into the dramatic tension/challenge part of the plot. The conniving women jealous of Rachel's status as the significant other of the heir to the Young dynasty, and particularly resentful of her outside status. Even worse is the "Tiger Mom" styles controlling parent. I get that the Asian Parent is a thing, but here it puts Michelle Yeoh in a terribly unfortunate position and frankly strikes me as racist, even though it is authored, directed and starting an entirely Asian cast (though as the characters in the film would no doubt point out, Asian/Chinese people from the West). Apparently the film bombed in the Chinese market, faced with a certain amount of resentment of its view of non-Western Chinese people as backwards.

I commend its success and imagine it will help get more diverse things made, but this was much more of a lukewarm experience than I was hoping.

I haven’t heard much feedback from any friends from China (my Wife didn’t want to watch it) so not sure of any thoughts there. I do know it was released very late there, it was on many of the free streaming sites in China for quite a while before it hit the theatres so there would have been little reason to go watch it.

I don’t see anything racist in Yeoh’s character though, I think it is written from a local perspective.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #3155 on: February 14, 2019, 07:40:10 AM »
Pocahontas - One day I should research my entire top 250 list and see which film has the most writing credits. I did a cursory search of the dozen or so I suspected might have a lot, and Casablanca and In the Loop came out on top with 5 each. This movie has 27 writing credits. It took 26 guys -- and one woman -- to crank out this steaming pile of shit. I can't even deal with writing about how terrible this stupid movie is. I liked the raccoon and the hummingbird. There was some very pretty scenery. That's about it for positives. I feel like I need to watch The New World again to wash the stink of this picture off of me. Rating: Crap (24)

Pretty much agree. One of the dullest, most uninspired Disney films I've seen.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3156 on: February 14, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
I'll stan for Pocahontas. The songs are bangers. Colors of the Wind, Just Around The Riverbend, Mine Mine Mine, If I Never Knew You. Like, the story itself is extremely problematic but the music is on point.

Isn't It Romantic (2019)

There is much deserved griping about trailers giving away the whole film, or in the case of comedies giving away all the good jokes. Aside from the way that romantic comedies are unspoilable because they play to very specific narrative demands, the trailer for Isn't It Romantic shies away from pretty much anything relevant from the second half. It also leaves many jokes and certainly thematic strengths to be discovered. But 30 minutes into the film I did think "I feel like the trailer covered all of this in one minute" which speaks to a certain amount of slack in the setup, though there is some character aspects that need a bit more to set up the rest.

At its first level, Isn't It Romantic is a meta-commentary about the genre in an extremely textual way. She is self-aware of its tropeness and she like us knows this world cannot be real. A lot of this is really sharply observed. The subtext is more confused because I am not sure there is actually a right answer to the romantic conundrum at hand. Are romantic comedies bad because they teach us to strive for unobtainable goals, setting us up for disappointment, of are they bad because by featuring people who look like Julia Roberts instead of people who look like Rebel Wilson, they teach us to not strive for that which would make us happy. Should we ignore the "out of my league" talk, or should we "settle" for those on our level. Or should we stop focusing on other people to begin with and just focus on ourselves.

Overall, I just found this very good, though I suppose in true romantic comedy fashion the ending ties things up a bit too neatly. If they love and are attracted to each other, Yahtzee. But what if, in spite their social chemistry, they didn't have a mutual attraction, as is so often the case? I've read a few articles recently about millennial dating problems, things like ghosting and orbiting, and I suppose the real lesson here, as in real life, is ultimately you just have to communicate clearly. There is a silent tragedy when two people with a mutual interest stay apart because neither broached the issue.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:59:48 AM by Bondo »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3157 on: February 14, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »
Oh I didn't care for the songs much at all. "Mine Mine Mine" was a little fun, but the others were horribly overblown ("Just Around the Riverbend" would have been okay if she hadn't been trying to SING THE SHIT OUT OF IT) with terrible lyrics. And man, that ending song was just laughable.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3158 on: February 14, 2019, 09:20:10 AM »
They are all shades of Red.
The two popular tunes sound like tree-hugger lectures put to song. Even Sesame Street or other children's television songs have a more subtle touch towards education. I feel like I'm being shamed because I like urban environments and the indoors. Even Malick doesn't lay on this much guilt over the nature's beauty.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3159 on: February 14, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »
I feel like you are overthinking it. The melodies are catchy...you can sing along to them...like, you say sing the shit out of it like it's a bad thing.