love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684511 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3550 on: May 24, 2019, 02:34:59 PM »
Vox Lux (2018)

Tedious and pointless. The opening segment is the strongest, but the rest of the film fails to examine the premise of the story whatsoever. I like Portman, but is she just doing accents now? Is that her thing? She was incredibly convincing as a ballerina in Black Swan, but lacked any semblance of pop star charisma in this. Her performance at the end falls completely flat, no thanks to very mediocre concert filmmaking and a troupe of unenthusiastic dancers. The premise should have left me full of questions, but I was just glad it was over by the end.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3551 on: May 26, 2019, 12:06:00 AM »
John Wick: Parabellum (2019)

I'm not a fan of the Wick series, so maybe it's just me, but is John Wick: Parabellum the worst title they could come up with, or were there others?

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #3552 on: May 26, 2019, 06:17:20 PM »
John Wick: Parabellum (2019)

I'm not a fan of the Wick series, so maybe it's just me, but is John Wick: Parabellum the worst title they could come up with, or were there others?

"Ecks vs. Sever" had already been used.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3553 on: May 26, 2019, 06:49:02 PM »
:))

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3554 on: May 26, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
The Perfection is a delightfully twisted horror movie that you should know next to nothing about before watching. Not even what type of horror it is. Just watch it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3555 on: May 26, 2019, 08:32:39 PM »
If I can't sleep after, it's your fault.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3556 on: May 26, 2019, 09:53:41 PM »
The Perfection is a delightfully twisted horror movie that you should know next to nothing about before watching. Not even what type of horror it is. Just watch it.
Color me intrigued.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3557 on: May 27, 2019, 09:21:43 PM »
It's kind of its own arch thing, but if you get on its wavelength the payoff is grand.

On the other hand...

Brightburn is so boring. If you saw the trailer, you know most of the plot points, and the only thing new is somewhat impressive gore moments. Only interesting in relation to other (also boring) "the kids aren't alright" horror films from this year like The Prodigy and the Pet Sematary remake (all of which end with the bad kids winning, which is the only semi-interesting thing about them). Bleh.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3558 on: May 28, 2019, 12:44:49 AM »
Listened to an interview with Jonathan Levine (50/50, Warm Bodies), and until that I thought Long Shot was from Jonathan Lynn (Wild Target, My Cousin Vinny).

Airplane Viewings:

Ocean’s 8
★ ★ ★ - Okay

Soderbergh’s sequels are more about cast chemistry than the heist. This one’s got a pretty good heist, the 2nd best of the series. Unfortunately, what it lacks is sparkling chemistry between the female superstars, opting instead for the warmth of female solidarity. There are a couple of extra twists on top of the extra twists, but my negativity towards it is knee-jerk because the extra miles round things out nicely, as does James Corden as a cheerfully determined investigator. There’s too much connection to the original trilogy, completely unnecessary, but the scene transitions and score are so on point, I was surprised to learn it was done by people new to the franchise.

Tag
★ ★ ★ - Okay

This was funnier than I expected, though unfortunately kept reminding me of the superior, similar Game Night. The premise may seem one-joke, but it’s fleshed out in all the right ways, and the cast really shines. Ed Helms hasn't had this successful a star turn since Hangover 1 and Isla  Fisher… I don’t get why she doesn’t work more. The one drawback is the occasionally mean edge the story takes. A problem of tone though filming the ambush scenes like Zack Snyder fights is a great comic choice. It wasn't until the closing credits that I discovered Oscar Isaac was actually Jake Johnson.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #3559 on: May 28, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »
Speaking of Long Shot...

I too didn't realize it was directed by the same guy who did Warm Bodies. There are some similar aspects for sure; droll editing, time spent on reactions and interactions and capturing moods, pacing... Overall it has an unhurried feel, as if the story will get where it needs to go, the politics will be addressed and the conflict will be resolved, but honestly, it's about two people getting to know each other and taking a leap of faith. As rom coms go, it's rather sophisticated and yet unabashed in it's desire to be sweet.