love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 683956 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3650 on: July 17, 2019, 05:59:48 AM »
Spider-man: Far From Home

Welcome Tom Holland is close to home, but Spider-man is far from it. Watching this reminded me of how much Endgame is falling in my opinion. This film is by far a better film. That's said the sappy opening with the sniff sniff we miss you to various characters in the production credits, just was rubbish. I get that some people get all bent out of shape, but those characters not being in the MCU anymore, give it a break.

This is not a film about intergalactic death and destruction, it's an action teen (well early 20s pretending to be teen) romance, another gripe, can Hollywood not find actual 16 year olds to play 16 year olds, useless idiots. Maybe we should stop paying them to keep that crap up. Boy I am being grumpy with this review. Get off my lawn.

Jake Gyllenhaal is very good as Mysterio, and the performances of all the 'kids' are good also. What really impressed me was some of the cinematography in the 3rd act action scenes, really good, some nice variation of perspective. The story generally moves along nicely, but there were a couple of times it dragged. A very interesting end to the film.

Rating: 78 / 100

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3651 on: July 17, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
That's said the sappy opening with the sniff sniff we miss you to various characters in the production credits, just was rubbish.

Wasn’t that the point?
It was supposed to look like high school kids did it?
Maybe I missed something but as I understood it, that was a video created by some kids in PP’s school.
Hey, nice marmot!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3652 on: July 17, 2019, 12:22:45 PM »
Furie (2019)

Nothing revolutionary for the action genre, but a fun flick in the vein of Taken (minus the rampant xenophobia). Ngo Thanh Van anchors the film with a really strong performance. She's especially good before the fighting starts, really selling her character's plight as a world-weary and ostracized single mother. The film's great strengths beyond Van are its earnestness and sense of humor, which often go hand in hand. It has two great laughs, one entirely intentional surrounding a scene-stealing nurse, and then the final line and shot, which is epic and meme-worthy.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3653 on: July 17, 2019, 11:55:18 PM »
Brit Marling Double Feature

Sound of My Voice (2011)
The East (2013)
The legend is that Sylvester Stallone wasn't getting any good parts to play so he wrote one for himself... Rocky. I get the same impression with these two film co-written by Marling along with director Zal Batmanglij, whose top objective is to showcase the actress. This he does even more directly than Mike Cahill's Another Earth where Marling is more of a low-key lead.

There's an honesty to Marling, with an amount of 'actress in the spotlight' that's noticeable but not overwhelming. There's a similarity to Brie Larson that makes me wonder what Marling could do as Captain Marvel since I'm liking Larson less as her projects get more blockbuster. Of the films I've seen, The East is the most mainstream - producer Tony Scott's touch is present - and features Marling's best work. I remember when it looked like Marling was going to become a major creative force, and I love the hand she's played in her career behind the camera. However, her only other major contribution has been the Netflix series "The OA", which I'm now curious about.
Sound of My Voice: ★ ★ ½
The East: ★ ★ ★ - Good
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:56:49 PM by 1SO »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3654 on: July 18, 2019, 05:10:06 AM »
That's said the sappy opening with the sniff sniff we miss you to various characters in the production credits, just was rubbish.

Wasn’t that the point?
Maybe I missed something but as I understood it, that was a video created by some kids in PP’s school.

Yes, you are correct (I think, the beginning is a bit of a blur), but it was still rubbish, totally not needed in the film.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3655 on: July 18, 2019, 10:49:15 AM »

Wasn’t that the point?

Yes, you are correct (I think, the beginning is a bit of a blur), but it was still rubbish, totally not needed in the film.

The film is awkwardly funny, and introduces the idea of what happened to the high school students between Infinity and Endgame.  Also, it introduced the term "the blip".  I'm not saying it's a strong introduction, but it has it's place.  I also wonder if it mocks the ending of Endgame, with the roll out of heroes.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #3656 on: July 18, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »
La flor (Mariano Llinas, 2019)*

Self-indulgence, the movie.

Part 1: Fine mise en bouche, amateurish at times but the quartet is commited, especially Paredes who will turn out to be the MVP of the whole thing.

Part 2: The best one, though I could have done without the whole scorpion business. It's fun, but Part 3 has that energy in spades, so I was really much more interested in the part about the singer, which is just great, could have (should have ?) been its own movie.

Part 3: So insanely long that I still can't tell what I think about it, which is really true of the whole thing. Some parts are pretty brilliant, and I definitely enjoy the structure of it all, but it also exposes the weaker parts of the quartet (Carricajo in particular), though I did enjoy the mix of Tintin with 70s paranoia aesthetically. Also, whenever people were speaking French, the acting instantly got much dicier (save maybe Paredes who remained my shining light through all of this). It's just too damn long.

Part 4: Probably the part that justifies the whole enterprise existing as it does. Pretty fascinating, though I didn't relish the turn to the supernatural as much as Llinas obviously did.

Part 5: What is this even doing here ? I guess having seen Partie de campagne might have helped, but ugh.

Part 6: Very appropriate conclusion, beautiful.

The credits: Fine.

*In case you don't know what this is, well... it's a 14 hour movie (including a good 30 minutes or so of credits), divided in six episodes. In France it was shown in four parts, every one over 3 hours long, which is apparently not the intended way to watch it, and from what I heard the way it was shown in festivals was much, much smarter (3 parts with intermissions). The different episodes are united by four actresses (except for the fifth one) and a general tendency towards the vague supernatural (except for... the fifth one).

Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3657 on: July 18, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »
Brit Marling Double Feature

I remember when it looked like Marling was going to become a major creative force, and I love the hand she's played in her career behind the camera. However, her only other major contribution has been the Netflix series "The OA", which I'm now curious about.
I liked her quite a bit in Another Earth and that one episode of Community. The OA has always looked uninteresting to me, mainly because it seems like it revolves around some big mysteries and that's never been what has drawn me to a show.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3658 on: July 19, 2019, 02:19:51 AM »

Part 1: Fine mise en bouche, amateurish at times but the quartet is commited, especially Paredes who will turn out to be the MVP of the whole thing.

Part 2: The best one, though I could have done without the whole scorpion business. It's fun, but Part 3 has that energy in spades, so I was really much more interested in the part about the singer, which is just great, could have (should have ?) been its own movie.

Part 3: So insanely long that I still can't tell what I think about it, which is really true of the whole thing. Some parts are pretty brilliant, and I definitely enjoy the structure of it all, but it also exposes the weaker parts of the quartet (Carricajo in particular), though I did enjoy the mix of Tintin with 70s paranoia aesthetically. Also, whenever people were speaking French, the acting instantly got much dicier (save maybe Paredes who remained my shining light through all of this). It's just too damn long.

Part 4: Probably the part that justifies the whole enterprise existing as it does. Pretty fascinating, though I didn't relish the turn to the supernatural as much as Llinas obviously did.

Part 5: What is this even doing here ? I guess having seen Partie de campagne might have helped, but ugh.

*In case you don't know what this is, well... it's a 14 hour movie (including a good 30 minutes or so of credits), divided in six episodes. In France it was shown in four parts, every one over 3 hours long, which is apparently not the intended way to watch it, and from what I heard the way it was shown in festivals was much, much smarter (3 parts with intermissions). The different episodes are united by four actresses (except for the fifth one) and a general tendency towards the vague supernatural (except for... the fifth one).

Would you compare it to something like Heimat?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #3659 on: July 19, 2019, 03:25:05 AM »

Would you compare it to something like Heimat?

Maybe I would if I had seen Heimat. ;D

I will say this: this is very much a movie to me, not a mini-series. It has episodes, but they're unequal in length and I think the official way it was presented in festivals is the best way to watch it. That's in 3 parts, with intermissions in the middle, the first part being comprised of episodes 1 & 2 (3h30 total I think), the second part being just episode 3 (between 5 and 6 hours, maybe multiple intermissions in that one) and the last part being the last 3 episodes plus credits (so around 5 hours ?). Like I don't think watching it episode by episode works particularly well because they vary so much in length: episodes 5 and 6 are maybe half an hour each, tops, while episode 3 is over 5 hours.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

love