love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684289 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3730 on: August 26, 2019, 07:52:09 PM »
I definitely want to go back to that, don't recall if I watched the regular version (I think I did) or the director's cut, but it's hard to carve out that much time for a rewatch.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3731 on: August 26, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »
I definitely want to go back to that, don't recall if I watched the regular version (I think I did) or the director's cut, but it's hard to carve out that much time for a rewatch.

Yea, I get that. I split it into 3 sittings. An hour each. :)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3732 on: August 27, 2019, 01:05:37 PM »
The Beach Bum (2019)

Fascinating documentary about Matthew McConaughey.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3733 on: August 28, 2019, 12:04:00 AM »
Salt of the Earth (1954)
★ ★
Recently mentioned on Next Picture Show in relation to Harlan County USA, early indie film has a strange history in that it was made by three blacklisted filmmakers. They were falsely accused of being communist, so they're revenge is this pro-communist film. This doesn't make sense to me, investing your time and what little is left of your money and connections to create something you claim to be falsely accused of. Anyway, the movie itself is kind of laughable. A dumbed-down social drama with wooden performances and talking point memos for dialogue. While the anti-Union strike story is bad, the amount of time and strength drawn from the female characters is really good. Still heavy-handed, but having events revolve around the women is an inspired touch.

On the Bowery (1956)
★ ★
Strange hybrid of documentary with a bit of story thrown in to undercut the realism. It's like they never found real characters and evolving situations to grab onto so they just went about creating their own, using the documentary footage for montages and connective filler.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #3734 on: August 28, 2019, 05:37:09 AM »
Salt of the Earth (1954)
★ ★
Recently mentioned on Next Picture Show in relation to Harlan County USA, early indie film has a strange history in that it was made by three blacklisted filmmakers. They were falsely accused of being communist, so they're revenge is this pro-communist film. This doesn't make sense to me, investing your time and what little is left of your money and connections to create something you claim to be falsely accused of. Anyway, the movie itself is kind of laughable. A dumbed-down social drama with wooden performances and talking point memos for dialogue. While the anti-Union strike story is bad, the amount of time and strength drawn from the female characters is really good. Still heavy-handed, but having events revolve around the women is an inspired touch.

Danny Peary classified it as a cult movie in his Cult Movies 2 book. Danny Peary wrote 3 cult movie books and they were my introduction to a range of cult movies.

After a bit more reading in a later book "The Alternative Oscars" that Peary published in 1992 he had Salt of the Earth as the best film winner of its year.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:03:32 AM by Dave the Necrobumper »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3735 on: August 28, 2019, 06:10:19 AM »
I own those books. Thanks for the tip.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3736 on: August 28, 2019, 09:54:01 AM »
Hereditary (2018)

I found this deeply silly.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3737 on: August 28, 2019, 10:18:43 AM »
Hereditary (2018)

I found this deeply silly.
Same.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3738 on: September 01, 2019, 11:58:50 PM »
The Strange Little Cat (2013)

Every year there is at least one film, embraced critically and among a certain very serious set of cinephiles, that upon watching it makes me feel like I've been punked.
Thank you, Bondo.

With respect to MartinTeller and Goodguy, I didn't get what this film was doing at all. Every time it cut to the mom looking quietly pained I thought of Jeanne Dielman. This is different because we get a monologue at the beginning detailing her quiet suffering as part of her character, but that made the close-ups of sorrow more funny than intriguing. The more I think about the film, the more I'm convinced I could make an argument for it being a bad movie, but that would be disrespectful to my friends and if I bothered to read some article about what it's doing conceptually I'd end up looking foolish.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018)
★ ★ ½
Two things I took away from this look at children suffering emotional abuse under conversion therapy.

1. You can easily transpose this type of brainwashing to understand how people who live in the Fox News bubble have a bone-headed view of the country. When you're under constant attack, the lessons start to make their own kind of sense because you're never allowed to take a step back and analyze reality. This is what the film does best.

2. Chloë Grace Moretz is not evolving into an interesting adult actress. The energy of her youth has grown into someone who does what the page suggests with little personality to enhance the material. She mutes the entire film.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 12:57:02 AM by 1SO »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #3739 on: September 02, 2019, 07:58:35 AM »
The Blitz Wolf (1942 Tex Avery)

Well this short down right offend me. It was a propaganda film about getting into the war effort, but it way over stepped the mark in having a go at those involved in the non-aggression pact. Now perhaps it was having a go at Americans involved stopping the USA joining the war effort, but I took it as a dig at Neville Chamberlain and those involved in the peace attempts prior to WW2 (as it referred to a non-aggression pact with the wolf). For a USA film to have a go at those people when they sat out the first 2 years of the war, well one was not pleased, one was down right angry. Otherwise it was a standard propaganda film.

Rating: 15 / 100