love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684127 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3790 on: September 27, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »
I, for one, will never tire of Adele Haenel.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #3791 on: September 28, 2019, 12:23:04 AM »
RAMEN TEH (2018) - A really sentimental piece with nods to other "foodie" films that accentuate cooking as an artistic and emotional experience.  Masato is a young man grieving the loss of his parents and tries to reconnect with his mother's Singaporean roots after growing up in Japan with his father.  Perfect date night movie.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3792 on: September 30, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »
Two films that ended up making a good double feature this weekend:

Meek's Cutoff (2011)
Kelly Reichardt's film about taciturn and hardbitten settlers lost in a beautiful but dangerous landscape is a quietly engaging experience. Conversations are hushed, often heard at a distance (I probably missed a lot of the actual words), and actions are allowed to play out - the slow fording of a river, the menial tasks of the day, the sewing of a moccasin. The men are stoic or full of bluster. The women clear-eyed and more open-minded. They are all lost. It's, like, a metaphor for life, man. Michelle Williams is fantastic. I've never seen Bruce Greenwood allowed to be so animated before. Moaning Myrtle was distracting.

Monos (2019)
Alejandro Landes film about wild and hardbitten youth living in a beautiful but dangerous landscape is a noisily engaging experience. The children work for the Organization, a rebel group fighting in the mountains and jungles of Colombia. They are tasked with holding an American engineer hostage. Left on their own with only a radio and infrequent check-ins from their superior, the children form their own miniature society. Sofia Buenaventura is quietly enthralling as Rambo, the most conflicted of the group, and Julianne Nicholson is great as their captive. Many times I couldn't help my mind wandering out of the story and simply wondering how in the world they filmed scenes in such wild and daunting locations. There are a couple scenes of people swimming through rapids that I really couldn't believe the actors managed to do.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:15:18 PM by philip918 »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3793 on: September 30, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »
As a whole, I was a bit let down, but moment to moment it is an exciting watch. Love seeing Hannah Montana alums doing well, and Arias does crush it, but there were times when it kind of dragged or was 'too close' with its Lord Of The Flies stuff. There's such a physicality to the film though that I really do admire, not just in the way the characters behave, but in the way the camera captures it. Those physical moments between the kids are captured with such intimacy, but the landscapes get the same treatment. There's one underwater part where the camera just lingers and you see the individual tiny bubbles, it's really something.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3794 on: October 03, 2019, 12:19:05 AM »
This is my hill to die on but One Cut of the Dead (2017) is not a Horror movie. It's not even a horror/comedy like Shaun of the Dead. Heck, Hocus Pocus is more horror than this. This is a character comedy - warm smiles, not big laughs - about a group of filmmakers who come together to pull off a single-take zombie short. Any relation to actual zombie visuals is eventually dashed once the curtain is pulled back. (More like pulled clean off the rod.) I'm seeing a lot of people who don't know this happens, but I can't imagine sitting through 90 minutes of how the film begins. You need to at least know what's under the first layer or you will have a Bondo of a time. The rest still isn't Great ever, but it's smart about the headaches of production and it gives the opening a new context that's fun. What gives the film some lasting appeal are the moments where people behind the camera come together as a team and breathe a sigh of relief or smile at how proud they are of the way everyone can think on their feet. In the end, the real gimmick isn't the single-take. The real gimmick is Love.
★ ★ ★ - Okay

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3795 on: October 03, 2019, 05:51:10 AM »
Basically my review as well. I am curious as to how it plays if you know the twist going in, tho. Does it make the earlier stuff more bearable? Or are you even more impatient about it?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3796 on: October 03, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
Much more bearable because I know we're going to see the backstory that lead to the on-screen results. I didn't know so much of it would be on-the-fly problem solving, which is what makes the final 3rd what it is. I also liked the double layering of knowing I was going behind the scenes of a zombie movie that was about being behind the scenes of a zombie movie.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #3797 on: October 04, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »
The Angry Birds Movie 2 (2019)

Meh

Rating: 68 / 100

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3798 on: October 05, 2019, 10:02:48 PM »
Apocalypse Now: Final Cut

Apocalypse Now has been a long time favorite but not watched in a long time, probably 2010 or 2011 when Full Disclosure version came out on Bluray for the Redux version. From what I remember, I didn't think the scenes added anything to the film and probably worsened it.  But I guess I don't have to fully depend on my memory.

(hold while I conduct some searches)

This is what I could find from what I wrote back in 2010:

I do like some of the additional footage (French villa part was good), I am just not sure it added anything overall or just hammered home more of the same.

My BD shipped yesterday from Amazon so I should have it in a few weeks.  Then I intend to get a few friends over who have not seen it and make a night of it.  Though, I think I will save Redux for another time when I am alone.

I must have saw it in the Theatre release before ordering the BR and I don't believe I ever watched Redux again, possible I only watch Hearts of Darkness on the disk as then I lent to a friend and lost it for a number of years until I found out who had it.

Anyway, I had tried to get my wife to sit down to watch it a number of times but she wasn't having it. She doesn't really like "war films" or old films.  But she eventually saw and enjoyed Godfather 1&2 as well as loves Dracula, so with the release of the 4K Final Cut version, now was my chance to try again

The Final Cut version ends up somewhere between the Original Release and the Redux version. They remove some of the addition scenes where they meet up with the Playboy bunnies again after the USO show. That was a smart move.  But they left in the French Villa scene, so this clocks in right around 3 hours.

After watching that scene again, I think my original comment in 2010 was just wrong or I was somehow trying to find something positive to say. It would be better to have left it out or at least drop all the suggestive dinner glances between Sheen and the beautiful woman followed by a brief bedroom scene that contained no sex but having her remove her clothes to drop the mosquito next around the bed. It just seemed like out of place, like it was forced into the script.

For me, I think it is best to stick to the original.  On the plus side, the original and the Final Cut get a nice 4K transfer with a remastered Dobly Atmos soundtrack which makes it worst to watch again if it has been a while and you have an Atmos setup.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3799 on: October 06, 2019, 05:17:31 PM »
Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011)

Elizabeth Oslen is terrific and it's a shame she Marvel films have taken up most of her time since this came out. Like most indie films this ends when things are getting most interesting. The push-pull of the cult, and the power the ideas, if not the reality, has over her, is really well handled.