love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684750 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3860 on: November 10, 2019, 10:11:05 AM »

Cover Up (1949)
"What is this sheriff? No report, no gun, no bullet. Maybe he isn't even dead."

"We don't generally bury folks around here unless they're dead."

Been doing a small quiet Noirvember with the wife here, focusing on Christmas Noir. I mention this one because while most Noir of this type bring darkness to the holiday, this murder investigation finds a nice balance between the mystery and the small town events. Something as pleasant as a tree lighting ceremony sets the backdrop for a new wrinkle to the case and the insurance investigator (Dennis O'Keefe) casually questions a family while they put presents under the tree. The mystery is different from the usual, the cover up is very well handled, reminding me of Bad Day at Black Rock, and William Bendix plays the sheriff. Bendix is one of those actors who never ever gives a bad or uninteresting performance.
Rating: ★ ★ ★ - Good
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:30:40 AM by 1SO »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3861 on: November 10, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
I always mean to ask this: where do you find all these old films?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3862 on: November 10, 2019, 06:32:48 PM »
I used to use veehd but that folded up. Now the most common place is called Odnoklassniki.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3863 on: November 10, 2019, 07:00:23 PM »
Waves

I was ignorant of this film until the trailer played in front of The Irishman. Trey Edward Shults got me interested and it seems to use some of his unusual sound techniques from Krisha. That should work well with a score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3864 on: November 10, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »
I'll see it, but not having it swimming in Kanye has be going in set up for disappointment. Been getting heavy in to The Life Of Pablo lately.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3865 on: November 11, 2019, 12:18:11 AM »
Doctor Sleep
★ ★ ½

I'm one of the few who thinks The Shining is one of Kubrick's least successful films, a series of strange occurrences held together by Jack Nicholson's performance that starts at 11 and goes up to admittedly entertaining levels from there. What will surprise many is how little The Shining plays into Doctor Sleep, with just a few moments at the beginning and the expected finale. This may disappoint, but if fans don't find the new stuff to be as good as Kubrick won't that be an even bigger let down?

The bulk of the story is more in line with a Mike Flanagan film, with a series of villains (led by a terrific Rebecca Ferguson) who have a lot more in common with Pennywise the Clown than Jack Torrance. One major misstep from Flanagan is that his script takes an unusually long time to establish all the players, and there aren't that many. The first hour doesn't drag its heels like It: Chapter II, but a little more explanation could've saved a lot of time. After establishing himself as a modern Horror Master, it's interesting to see him use horror elements for dramatic purpose and avoid scares or even chills altogether. (Not good, not bad. Just interesting.)

Since I'm not a fan of The Shining, I'm curious how others will react to the eventual return to The Overlook. Carl Lumbly does an amazing job as Dick Hallorann, but Henry Thomas and Alex Essoe as Jack and Wendy Torrance are like something out of a bad stage show, and make me question including these characters at all. Some scene and shot recreations are like the worst fan callbacks. (Ferguson watches the elevator pour out blood, just blankly observes it, and then moves on.) Steven Spielberg returned with more glee for Ready Player One. In both cases I wish they had brought back the Bear Man.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3866 on: November 12, 2019, 09:50:26 PM »
Lady And The Tramp (2019)

I don't remember much at all about the original, but there are like two songs in this thing that feel really out of place. It makes sense that regular old LatT would use music, but also it makes sense that it wouldn't. Here's how I'll level with everyone, this is not the best Disney live action remake of 2019 (Burton, baby), but it's not the worst either (Johnny F), so that's not so bad. Also, I like dogs and my own dog, Teddie, is part cocker spaniel, though a different color from the titular Lady. This sucker made me a little more emotional than I thought, which clouds my judgement, and the animals talking here wasn't as jarring as it was in TLK, but maybe that's because dogs are just cuter. Who knows. It still crosses that strange line sometimes. This film is fine, and better than I thought it would be.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3867 on: November 12, 2019, 11:52:47 PM »
Lady and the Tramp
★ ★ ½

A good fit for streaming at home, because it probably would've quickly vanished from theaters. Largely unnecessary (like most of these Disney live-action remakes), you end up just comparing the differences. I liked moving the location to New Orleans and the new song for the racist cats isn't just necessary, it's equal to the best tunes from the original. I also liked the staging of "He's a Tramp," which along with the spaghetti dinner are the two scenes the remake scores a bullseye, even though this is largely about how great the scenes were in the original. Good to read FLY's reaction because I wondered how a dog lover would react to the scenes of peril and distress played out without the wall of animation, even though this film still lives pretty far from reality.

While I admire Disney for using color-blind casting, it's as dishonest as Song of the South to have the main couple (and others throughout the movie) be different races, living in New Orleans in the early 1900s with a mixed-race baby.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:56:11 PM by 1SO »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3868 on: November 13, 2019, 08:18:45 PM »
I didn't really think the setting played all that big of a role, but I guess it was in the NO. It has been a while since I watched SotS, but I feel like as a whole it's not even as racist as the crows in Dumbo OG. Bring it out of the vault, Disney!

dusty bottoms

« Reply #3869 on: November 14, 2019, 04:19:16 AM »
'Pain and Glory' (2019)

Almodovar's latest is a sumptuous semi autobiographical traipse through time and memory that explores the euphoria and depression of life choices and fate. The colour scheme alone is absolutely spellbinding with reds, blues and green jumping out at the viewer. There are flashbacks, non-linear parts and the structure is quite unorthadox, but Almodovar's direction is so flawless that instead of being jarring, it only adds to the experience. There are the usual themes of mother son relationships and sexuality but also subtexts that include making peace with your mistakes, reliving memories, staying true to your creative side and life's endless search for true happiness.

There are moments that evoke the finest European movies of last century and also a fresh feel to it - with Antonio Banderas giving what many critics have described as a career best performance. And the ending - the ending was just perfect. I left feeling almost euphoric at what I'd just seen.

An entire review at this time is almost pointless as this movie will probably take days to sink in. But at the moment it's a 9 out of 10. Amongst Almodovar's finest work.

It's a truly gorgeous film.
"Listen up, there's a storm coming.......... like nothing you've ever seen.......... and not a one of you.......... is prepared for it"

love