love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684811 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3870 on: November 14, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »
On a John Cusack kick:

High Fidelity (2000)
One of my favorite Cusack performances and films. Very funny. Music is great. The characters and settings really feel lived in. Jack Black and Todd Luiso are so great together. They steal every scene.

Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)
My favorite Cusack performance and film. I've loved this since I first saw it in high school and re-watched my VHS over and over. The writing is so sharp and the cast is pitch perfect from the stars to the day players. Cusack and Driver have great chemistry. There isn't a wasted scene, nor even a flat scene. Joan Cusack is just on fire. Alan Arkin's amazing as a scared and conflicted psychiatrist. My low-key favorite moment is when Cusack confronts Michael Cudlitz, the former school bully, at the reunion, and Cudlitz drunkenly pulling out a poem he wrote, saying, "These are my words." I added this to my Top 100 after rewatching.

Pushing Tin (1999)
And now one I hadn't seen before. This was interminable and yet I couldn't look away. Like a mysterious and frightening artifact from a lost civilization. It's so weird and so terrible, and yet...

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #3871 on: November 15, 2019, 09:57:03 PM »

The King - I can't tell if Robert Pattinson's performance was great or terrible.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3872 on: November 15, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »
It's great.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3873 on: November 15, 2019, 10:38:52 PM »
It's terrible.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3874 on: November 16, 2019, 08:29:17 PM »
Last Christmas

I can't intellectually support why this is a fairly decent film. But it made me feel emotions, and that can't lie.

Charlie's Angels

Never has a film whelmed the way this film whelmed. It was a nice no-emotions-necessary recovery after Last Christmas. Sometimes you just want a nice female-driven C+ film to distract you. I still cannot watch Naomi Scott and not think it is Emma Roberts. While I've always been a Kristen Stewart stan, I do find that in the last year or two she's really made this turn. Largely gone is the nervous lip-biter of a lot of her earlier roles. Even though the Twilight films were her biggest films, it is recently that she's really had a kind of star swagger and confidence.

Yesterday

While I wasn't expecting emotions out of Charlie's Angels, the failure of Yesterday to deliver them stands much more as a failure of form.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3875 on: November 16, 2019, 08:48:41 PM »
Wow. Sounds like I need to learn who Naomi Scott is.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3876 on: November 16, 2019, 11:12:20 PM »
Doctor Sleep

I went into this with a lot of trepidation having loved Kubrick’s version which  I still revisit from time to time, most recently just a few weeks ago in case we decided to see Doctor Sleep.  I was on the fence to go watch until I started to listen to the /Filmcast review and their unbridled enthusiasm from the start convinced me to stop listening and book tickets.  This pulls a fine line to respecting Kubrick’s version as well as addresses the main themes from King’s book that were not really addressed to King’s satisfaction.

I would even say, the first 2/3 are nearly perfect and pull no punches especially Rebecca Ferguson.  Horror movies usually always fail trying to tie everything up, but this one still did better than most. I was still quite satisfied, my wife not so much towards the ending. Maybe a bit too many throw backs. Will be one of my top films of 2019. Hoping Filmspotting will do a review
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3877 on: November 16, 2019, 11:19:07 PM »
I love Mike Flanagan, but he couldn't find the balance between Kubrick and King. I'm not sure one exists. Rebecca Ferguson hasn't been this riveting since her first Mission: Impossible.

My review.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3878 on: November 16, 2019, 11:20:39 PM »
Somehow I thought he found that balance but let me go read your review
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3879 on: November 16, 2019, 11:29:07 PM »
 In ways, I thought it did well to explain some of the randomness of Kubrick’s version where he seemed to have thrown in various things from the book without explanation.  Plus, truer to King, Jack’s sins were passed on to Danny which he eventually had to deal with, something King never liked about Kubrick’s movie.

I might have been overly seduced by it but I never felt it dragged and wasn’t bothered by having the return to theOverlook ending. Maybe it can be argued that they didn’t have to do that but then they can’t say for sure what force they were really dealing with.

I will revisit it when it gets a BD release to see if still see it for some of the greatness I felt on first watch

love