Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684523 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #4120 on: January 26, 2020, 04:39:23 PM »
FLY is like BJ in MASH. It stands for whatever you want it to stand for.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4121 on: January 26, 2020, 06:13:17 PM »
The Gentlemen

I had an epiphany watching this film, held back through it is by trying to be way too clever. Why is it that Scorsese's efforts focusing on gangsters/mobsters leave me so cold, but I've generally been on board with Ritchie's efforts in the same arena? Simple, Ritchie sees these men as worthy of mockery, and makes comedies. Scorsese sees them as worth mourning, and makes dramas. The Gentleman isn't Ritchie's finest effort, but it does provide a venue for some exceptional actors to do their thing, and is fun.

The flaws here? Well, this isn't a mystery to be solved, it is a story of twists served to you exactly and only to the degree that Ritchie wants you to know, messing with time and even throwing into some false starts for good measure. It wraps things up with a meta bow that draws a groan like a bad pun. But hey, no one is nominating this for Best Picture. Sometimes it is fine to just to be fun.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #4122 on: January 26, 2020, 06:44:08 PM »
Someone needs to tell me what '#FBC' means. I don't use any of that social media stuff.

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand what it meant.

There should be a reference guide to help translate FLY’s posts. It can start with FLY

HERE

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #4123 on: January 26, 2020, 11:03:37 PM »

Best video game “let’s play” of the year?

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4124 on: January 26, 2020, 11:26:33 PM »
I expected better from you. It's just that any comparison to a video game pushes a button with me. It's demeaning to what Sam Mendes is attempting. We can disagree about how well he succeeds, but his style is a series of smart choices.

(My review).

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #4125 on: January 26, 2020, 11:40:52 PM »
It’s just what it reminded me the most of, and even some of the best scenes— the airplane crash— I still couldn’t help but feel like I was playing a video game.

Nothing against what he’s accomplished, which is great.  Note, my “response” was not a review.  I didn’t put my usual rating.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4126 on: January 26, 2020, 11:57:03 PM »
I noted and I let go of it once I posted because of the love for you and the forum. Just really hate that comparison and couldn't let it go unremarked. No personal offense meant and none taken.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4127 on: January 27, 2020, 12:55:31 AM »
ICheckMovies Blind Spots:

Insect Woman (1963)
★ ★ ½
While I love Japanese cinema in general and filmmaker Shôhei Imamura always has good ideas for stories, he executes them in a way that quickly loses my interest. His narratives are often driven by themes and points more than character or plot, without approaching the level of Woman in the Dunes or Onibaba. Closer to Mikio Naruse, who I also struggle with.

Repentance (1984)
★ ★ ½
Social/political satire with a surrealist streak compared to Buñuel, but I found more of the left field surreal touches associated with William Klein. (Mr. Freedom) Talkier than Klein and less crude, but about as clumsy in its execution.

Twenty Years Later (1984)
★ ★ ½
Fascinating start to this documentary, with the filmmaker returning to a project he had to abandon after a military coup. The small amount of footage gives contrast to life then and now, but I didn't find the politics nearly as interesting as the initial way the director uses cinema to win the town over through the nostalgia of the footage. That's an Agnes Varda good time there.

The Son's Room (2001)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
I knew nothing going in, so I initially didn't understand such acclaim for a basic and simply-filmed domestic drama. Then comes the big event and the rest feels like it's playing out in real time. The soul-searching made me reflect and I admire Nanni Moretti's dedication to staying in the sadness so long, including playing the lead himself. Still has a strong TV Movie feel and I wish Moretti's character wasn't a therapist, but it has an effect that can't be denied.

Silent Light (2007)
★ ★ ½
Despite the pace - or actually because of it - I stayed engaged in the quiet, barely explained anguish. It's a film where small gestures and bits of dialogue can have a heap of impact. (It's a pretty film too.) Then it takes an ending from another classic film, and while it does something a little different, I felt like Carlos Reygadas cheated and invited a comparison he can't match up to.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #4128 on: January 27, 2020, 01:04:18 AM »
I haven't yet seen 1917 (seeing it later today), but why would a comparison to video games be demeaning ?
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #4129 on: January 27, 2020, 02:05:52 AM »
I really liked this piece on Letterboxd, which lists Unlocked and still-Locked achievements for your avatar (Lance Corporal Schofield) at the film's conclusion (the end of the play-through). I don't get a video game vibe from the film, but I don't think it has to be an insult to consider it as such. You could also list achievements for any given movie, might actually be a fun exercise. After all, there is basically no movie where someone does have a goal or ambition to which they seek. Parasite: Kick old housekeeper down the stairs before Park family is alerted to any abnormalities in the home.

I watched Crimson Gold for the first time tonight. I've had the DVD for a while, just waited for the right time. It does for class what Panahi's The Circle did for women. Both resolve their conflicts in different ways, and while I found The Circle more stirring and convincing at the end, Crimson Gold is strong in its sequence of "How we got here" events, detailing the humiliations and the dead end life of the protagonist, Hussein. Eminently watchable, intriguing, and then also, subtle. I liked it a lot, even if I favor his other two banned-in-Iran films in this phase of his career, The Circle and Offside, a little more.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:56:23 AM by etdoesgood »
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love