love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 683948 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #4220 on: February 14, 2020, 10:20:08 AM »
Definitely on my radar now, especially after the disappointing Bombshell last year.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #4221 on: February 14, 2020, 11:12:23 AM »
Le viager (Pierre Tchernia, 1972)

Astérix creator René Goscinny wrote this, and it shows. It has his comedic sensibility in spades, with a winking voice-over accompanied by an ethereal chorus reminiscent of The Twelve Tasks of Asterix (the most LSD-induced cartoon of all time, probably), all in the service of a comedy with a premise so morbid* that it shouldn't feel this fun. There is something intensely satisfying about watching evil people fail repeatedly.

*in 1930s France, a doctor who believes one of his patients only has two years to live gets into a life annuity contract with him... I don't know how that's called in English, but it's essentially a financial agreement where you pay an older person a yearly sum of money and you get their property when they die. I think you can see how this may play out in a dark comedy.

8/10

In the Electric Mist (Bertrand Tavernier, 2009)

Feels both rushed and languid. Love John Goodman and Mary Steenburgen, but this overall felt like it was grasping to find something to be about, and mostly failing. Seems likely that the True Detective guys watched this at some point though.

5/10

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Peter R. Hunt, 1969)

Easily my favorite James Bond of the 60s. Diana Rigg is miles above any female "character" the series had so far (though when the best attempt was a character named Pussy Galore, that's admittedly not a very high bar to clear), Lazenby is pretty good and makes the wise choice to not really try and compete with Connery by playing the character as much more grounded and human, but most importantly: the action. It's so good. Those ski scenes are iconic, but what makes them tick is that there is a very clear geography going into them, with them descending from the lair above the station, then Bond having to make his way into the crowds of the station itself, then a crazy car chase with Diana Rigg... and then more skiing action. So fun, and that stunt double for Lazenby is the MVP of the film. Savalas is also a much better Blofeld than the previous one(s?). In the end, it's still a James bond movie, and still quite shallow, which is a limiting factor. It does drag a bit at times, and there are some weird things like the women in "therapy" assuming "Bond" is gay because... he has glasses, I guess ? But overall, this was quite fun.

7/10
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #4222 on: February 14, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »
Honey Boy (2019)
★ ★ ★ – Okay
There are some visual set-pieces and two different time lines, but the main focus is on 12-year-old Otis and his father to where most of this feels like a play, with the two of them spending most of the film at that rundown motel. I know this started as an act of therapy, but in playing his father Shia LaBeouf has broken his old mold. This is unlike anything I've ever seen him do before and he does it extremely well. I hope that isn't just because of the years of research to hone that impression because I'd like to see him disappear into more characters going forward.

Just saw this last night, and I can’t stop thinking about LaBeouf’s performance.  I wish I could jump back in time and put him on my nomination ballot.  I loved a few of the scenes, especially the confrontations between Otis and his dad, but they were also hard to watch.  I probably wouldn’t recommend the whole film, because I don’t know that its saying anything new or telling the story in an innovative way.  But there’s enough to make the film memorable.

3.5/5

Would you consider Shia supporting or lead?

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #4223 on: February 14, 2020, 11:22:02 PM »
Viridiana

Every line, every scene, so on point. A classic in blasphemy. The Last Supper (redux) is one of my favorite shots of all-time.

There is a striking critique of charity and redemption. It's a Catholic/Christian (among other religions) tenet that one should be charitable and care for the poor and disabled. But when Viridiana does so in penance for not joining the convent, and perhaps being raped (it's hard to tell what she believes), those she takes in are exposed as immoral survivalists who have been plucked from their natural environment for the sake of a far more privileged person's redemption. It's a farce that Bunuel seems to have a great time with, as they trash the main house once Viridiana is out of town. She can't be redeemed, and they damn sure cannot, but that's perhaps because there is nothing for which they need be redeemed. They are who they are. It's a pessimistic view, but serves as great satire on the Catholic church.

A great Bunuel quote on religion, lifted from an article in The Guardian:
"I hope I don't go to hell. Imagine the table talk of all those popes and cardinals."
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #4224 on: February 15, 2020, 05:00:58 AM »
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic is way more annoying than Detective Pikachu and constantly drops pop culture references that only people in their 30s would know. Carrey is great and embraces the camp. I think whenever I watch these video game movies I'm always so I shock that they even actually exist at all that I don't really get too critical of them. I don't really care enough about Sonic 'lore' to be upset with any of the film's decision and I sort of liked the movie as a dumb kids movie, although I was not sober watching it...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:51:41 AM by Beavermoose »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4225 on: February 15, 2020, 09:00:43 AM »
Sounds about right. Not sure I'll see it in theaters.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4226 on: February 15, 2020, 11:24:57 AM »

Oscar Winner Taika Waititi

Boy (2010)
★ ★ ½
Waititi's 2nd feature plays like a debut film, a rough, sketch-like indie that seems autobiographical and even co-stars Waititi as the boy's criminal father. The humor hasn't quite ripened yet, so it's cute but rarely funny.

Icarus (2017)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
I'm always late to the party when it comes to eye-opening documentaries. Two years later, the revelation that many Russian athletes where doping and doing it under the order of Vladimir Putin is hardly surprising. (Remember when we had a kernel of faith in governments? Feels like so long ago.) I would like a little more clarity in how athletes, especially non-Russians were cheating the system. The filmmakers blow past that once they get caught up in the conspiracy thriller. This should get a follow-up about what anti-doping agencies are doing to counter these new revelations, besides banning athletes and acting like only the Russians are doing it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4227 on: February 15, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
Eagle v Shark makes Boy seem the height of polish.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #4228 on: February 15, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »
Honey Boy (2019)
★ ★ ★ – Okay
There are some visual set-pieces and two different time lines, but the main focus is on 12-year-old Otis and his father to where most of this feels like a play, with the two of them spending most of the film at that rundown motel. I know this started as an act of therapy, but in playing his father Shia LaBeouf has broken his old mold. This is unlike anything I've ever seen him do before and he does it extremely well. I hope that isn't just because of the years of research to hone that impression because I'd like to see him disappear into more characters going forward.

Just saw this last night, and I can’t stop thinking about LaBeouf’s performance.  I wish I could jump back in time and put him on my nomination ballot.  I loved a few of the scenes, especially the confrontations between Otis and his dad, but they were also hard to watch.  I probably wouldn’t recommend the whole film, because I don’t know that its saying anything new or telling the story in an innovative way.  But there’s enough to make the film memorable.

3.5/5

Would you consider Shia supporting or lead?

Ummmmmmmmm... supporting, I guess.  It's close.  I bet he has the most lines in the film, but isn't the protagonist.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #4229 on: February 15, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »
Eagle v Shark makes Boy seem the height of polish.

EvS has a very indie feel, I am trying to remember if it is similar to the indie feel of The Art of Self-Defence