love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684020 times)

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #5080 on: September 17, 2020, 07:43:30 PM »

Except... there's the direct sequel The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) which stars Bing and Ingrid Bergman and has "enough sugar-coated fluff to choke you to death." I know you rate Bells as an excellent film, and I wonder how long ago you watched it and if you can say what that film does right?

THE BELLS OF ST. MARY is something of a childhood classic for me, bolstered by my attendance at a Catholic elementary school. I don't remember all that much other than Ingrid Bergman's fantastic performance which is probably a big reason why I hold it so dear (perhaps the most accurate nun performance of all time next to Maggie Smith in SISTER ACT). I am sure there are similar problems that I overlooked due to age. The film is due for a revisit but I am not chomping at the bit to get to it.

dusty bottoms

« Reply #5081 on: September 18, 2020, 04:04:52 AM »
Beau Travail

This one just skyrocketed up my charts. Second viewing, first in anything resembling a decent resolution, picture-wise. It's more coherent than I remember at first, though the plot (What plot? I get it...but see more here than last time) still leaves plenty of room for interpretation and piecing together what exactly is going on in Forestier's mind. Like I said in the Criterion thread, a wonderful representation of sexual repression with a monumental ending. It is ultimately a fairly sad movie, especially when you examine both the combination of sexual repression and likely homosexuality at play. This would have especially hit home in '98, when it was released, and coming out was an even bigger struggle than it is today. Watched it with my dad, who is gay, and he was really into the themes and had some good ideas about them. He appreciated the subtlety and humanity of the representation.

Also, commandant may well be a stand-in for Denis, and this could be an examination of the voyeurism inherent in creating a film, let alone taking it in. Perhaps she uses a male to add complexity to the idea of the male (standard) v. female (radical, especially for the time) gaze. Lastly, we get a pretty good examination of the soldier mentality that cannot adapt to civilian life, a result of strong conditioning, especially with the legion Forestier helped lead.

Want to go back and revisit High Life now.

Great wrote up. That film has one of the best endings I've ever seen.
"Listen up, there's a storm coming.......... like nothing you've ever seen.......... and not a one of you.......... is prepared for it"

dusty bottoms

« Reply #5082 on: September 18, 2020, 04:25:33 AM »
Last Few:

The Battle of Algiers 1966
Some of this looks more like actual footage than film, which gives the whole thing a documentary feel about it. The post-bomb footage and the riot scenes are especially well directed. Overall a very realistic portrayal of a tragic time in Algeria's history - with only one professional actor. A remarkable achievement in cinema.

Hard to Be a God 2013
I think this is a film that is probably quite binary in people's experiences - you either appreciate it or it's not your thing. It's basically a 3 hour version of the "bring out your dead" scene in Monty Python's Holy Grail, but directed masterfully by Aleksei German. Very grimy, freaky medieval sets with all sorts of debauchery, mud, livestock and madness going on. What's it about? Themes of Masculinity? Social decay? Religion? Love? Not even sure but it seems to point to expressing a wasted opportunity for human civilization - I may be way off with that but it's a pretty unique way to spend 3 hours.

The Devils 1971
Insane brilliance from Ken Russell. Outstanding turn from Ollie Reed. Won't forget that in a hurry.

Code Unknown 2000
A fine example of a hyperlink film in which a series of short scenes based around 4 or 5 characters unfolds that are linked by their actions. Haneke even gave the film a sub title called 'Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys'. And the incompleteness might infuriate some but also forces the viewer to ask questions of the incompleteness. In that sense this is arthouse cinema at it's purest. Some of the acting is incredible. Each vignette is seemingly shot in one take, which must have taken days.

The themes of racism, immigration, social decay and the lack of communication are prevalent, and Haneke also seems to be asking the viewer if some people might not behave the way they do if they were just given a bit of affection in their life. Either way, Haneke is a master and this film is brilliant.
"Listen up, there's a storm coming.......... like nothing you've ever seen.......... and not a one of you.......... is prepared for it"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #5083 on: September 18, 2020, 08:07:26 AM »
I really need to watch The Devils some day. I’ve seen a few bits and pieces, and it looks terrifying. Not in a horror movie way, just in an early-70s-insane-brilliance way, if that makes any sense.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #5084 on: September 18, 2020, 09:11:19 AM »
I really need to watch The Devils some day. I’ve seen a few bits and pieces, and it looks terrifying. Not in a horror movie way, just in an early-70s-insane-brilliance way, if that makes any sense.

pixote

This is a pretty accurate description, especially because like many of those early-70s-insane-brilliant movies, it has some definite lulls.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5085 on: September 18, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »
Those lulls keep it off my Essentials, but it's the one time where Ken Russell's insanity benefitted the film. It's the definitive Oliver Reed performance, and even saying that he's blasted off the screen by Michael Gothard in a Hall of Fame overacting job.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #5086 on: September 20, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
Goldfinch

What a bad movie!!! So confusing what was going on in this film, and what is the point? There were a few good performances, Jeffery Wright. But, other than that, there really isn't anything worth recommending. If you enjoyed this, please let me know...I would love to hear positive reviews.
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5087 on: September 20, 2020, 11:28:32 AM »
No good review for you, I also found it shockingly bad. And from the Director of Brooklyn. That film was marvelous.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 11:30:09 AM by Bondo »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5088 on: September 20, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »

You Never Can Tell (1951)

A former Army dog is poisoned and sent back to earth as a human detective named Rex Shepard (Dick Powell) along with a horse sidekick turned female assistant (Joyce Holden) to catch the person who killed him. I'm guessing Disney doesn't know about this film because they would've remade it twice by now. I'm writing about it because it's a perfect vehicle for Powell. He's always had a helpless, puppy dog quality and he transitioned into one of the most laid-back sarcastic noir gumshoes. This film allows him to do both while munching on kibble like it's popcorn. Holden uses all the gifts handed to her, from the ear/wings on her hat to the small horseshoes under her high heels.
RATING: ★ ★ ★ - Okay

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #5089 on: September 21, 2020, 01:09:08 PM »
LAST 10 / 1 SENTENCE

BATMAN VERSUS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE (ULTIMATE EDITION) - Out of all the massive contrivances in the superhero genre, the one people can’t deal with is the “Martha” line? 7.

JUSTICE LEAGUE - Words I never thought I would say: I can’t wait to watch the Snyder cut. 6.

AN AMERICAN TAIL - I don’t believe there’s another children’s film that is equal parts hopeful and cynical as this. 7.

BATMAN - Out of the two movies where the Joker is the lead character, this is the better one. 8.

BATMAN RETURNS - How do you have the Oscars for 1992 and not give one to Michelle Pfeiffer for this performance? 9.

GOING MY WAY - The ur-text of Pureflix filmmaking. 2.

HAMLET (1948) - I prefer the sequel. 6.

BATMAN FOREVER - I’m here for twink Riddler and his sugar daddy Two-Face. 6.

BATMAN & ROBIN - Kevin Feige wishes he could ghost-direct a movie this fun. 8.

A DRY WHITE SEASON - To the people who call this a white savior movie: who did he save? 9.