love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684010 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #5160 on: October 19, 2020, 05:29:48 AM »
Democracy is the only we should place our trust in. Right?

Democracy is the worst, except for every other system. I don't believe that illiberalism in the name of justice actually leads to justice.

Anyway, you never talk about the film, which I suspect you haven't seen. That's kind of the limiting factor of this discussion. You want to make it about me when I'm talking about what the film is trying to do.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #5161 on: October 20, 2020, 12:18:23 AM »
Deflecting from the argument puts us back in “not posting is always an option” territory. Do you want me to reply? You’ve oscillated between the film and real life political applications. So have I.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #5162 on: October 20, 2020, 12:27:28 AM »
Take it to the politics thread please. There's a reason I don't read that.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #5163 on: October 20, 2020, 01:42:44 AM »
The Trial of the Chicago 7

ETA: Upon further research, Sorkin very much did not stick to trial transcripts and reality was mere suggestion. I guess that explains why I like this so much more than Chicago 10. Sorkin's normie liberalism is my lane, and he polishes off a lot of the rough edges of the radicals that I'm not on board for.

This is what I was wondering as exchanges are quite compelling, how close was any of it was to the transcripts.  Their politics aside, the judge is painfully frustrating making you just want to punch him through the screen. I always wonder why somebody like him is not questioning how history is going to look upon him in the end.  While the proceedings clearly show its unfair, there still is some justice in that the overall system still works in the end, at least in this case.  Can’t say it always when looking at something like Making of a Murder (yet).

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #5164 on: October 20, 2020, 04:24:32 AM »
Take it to the politics thread please. There's a reason I don't read that.

Agreed
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5165 on: October 20, 2020, 04:43:31 AM »
This is what I was wondering as exchanges are quite compelling, how close was any of it was to the transcripts.  Their politics aside, the judge is painfully frustrating making you just want to punch him through the screen. I always wonder why somebody like him is not questioning how history is going to look upon him in the end.

Apparently his portrayal is actually one of the most accurate. Dude was already like 70 years old at the time and would stay on the bench a further 20 years. Great argument for term limiting judges. The piece I was reading breaking down where the film deviated from the truth noted that they did a survey of attorneys and like 80% thought he was incompetent or whatever. Like, they do these surveys of judges in Colorado because the voters determine if judges are retained, not sure why you'd run those surveys on federal judges. Anyway, since Sorkin was changing things, it begs the question of whether, even though the judge was in reality over the top, you would want to tone it down for believability. Sometimes reality is unbelievable.

dusty bottoms

« Reply #5166 on: October 20, 2020, 09:04:03 AM »
A White, White Day (2019)
Directed by Hlynur Pálmason

Excellent Icelandic film that is part arthouse part police thriller. Very well made and constructed. Shot on 35mm film so the Icelandic landscapes look beautifully grainy.

There are themes of unconditional love, grief and lust. The lead performance by Ingvar Sigurdsson is fantastic.

★★★★

"Listen up, there's a storm coming.......... like nothing you've ever seen.......... and not a one of you.......... is prepared for it"

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #5167 on: October 20, 2020, 10:17:15 AM »
Thanks. A must find now
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #5168 on: October 20, 2020, 10:12:28 PM »
“My watchlist keeps getting expanded by dusty bottoms,” I said aloud, to the confusion of everyone else in the room.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5169 on: October 20, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »
dusty bottoms - already high on my list of new releases, now A White, White Day probably needs to be seen this coming weekend...
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love