Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684101 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #5180 on: October 22, 2020, 09:09:20 AM »
I just listened to the album the other day and it was FANTASTIC. Planning to watch the concert soon.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #5181 on: October 22, 2020, 12:39:24 PM »
Now if Waters and Gilmour could bury the hatchet...and not in each other's head. I always loved the early albums more than the post-Dark Side stuff.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #5182 on: October 22, 2020, 12:42:14 PM »
Now if Waters and Gilmour could bury the hatchet...and not in each other's head. I always loved the early albums more than the post-Dark Side stuff.

The Wall though. And Animals and Wish You Were Here are quite good too, though I agree, I prefer Meddle and AEM over those.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #5183 on: October 23, 2020, 05:43:07 AM »

The Wall though. And Animals and Wish You Were Here are quite good too, though I agree, I prefer Meddle and AEM over those.

I remember sitting in a friend's car the first day the The Wall was released and a local radio station played it in its entirety. My friend and I were blown away, but after listening to it at other times later on, I thought it was gimmicky and bloated. It's now one of my least favorite albums by them. Too much Waters, not enough Gilmore. Too much sound effects.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #5184 on: October 23, 2020, 06:20:02 AM »
While I had heard Money before on the radio, I didn’t really know anything about Pink Floyd until 1985.  My family took a 1 month trip to the UK driving to different parts to see all our relatives, most who I didn’t really know other than my grandparents. But I always spent a few days with one uncle/aunt or another and various cousins but we didn’t know each other. For some reason, I bought the Wall on cassette just before going on that trip and it pretty much got played non-stop for most of the month when ever we were driving someplace.  Likely I listened to it and made my family listen to it a good 20 or 30 times.  Soon after I got back, I then discovered the rest of their recordings.  WYWH probably overall, the best.  Obscured by Clouds is maybe their best album of playing just straight forward rock songs. The first couple of albums were great stuff to just listen to in the dark.

thinking back, my family was very patient with me...
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5185 on: October 23, 2020, 11:24:18 PM »
I Wish
Things are definitely real between Koreeda and I, an easy three for three (Shoplifters, Our Little Sister, now this one). I could watch films like this all day long. All life. Wonderful soundtrack, kids put in the right position to be kids and be successful in their portrayals, and a deceptively simple ending that is sure to stick with me. And the food; the cakes. Koreeda's films damn near engage sound, sight, AND taste. Another one I just wanted to live in.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5186 on: October 23, 2020, 11:45:05 PM »
Those are my three favorites by Koreeda, but he has others well worth your time.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5187 on: October 23, 2020, 11:52:33 PM »
Those are my three favorites by Koreeda, but he has others well worth your time.

So tell me what you think, these are the next three I think I'll watch from Koreeda:
Maborosi
After Life
Nobody Knows or Still Walking
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5188 on: October 24, 2020, 12:11:45 AM »
I was lukewarm on Maborosi, but that was a long time ago and I don’t recall anything about it. The others are all solid.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #5189 on: October 24, 2020, 01:06:07 AM »
Nobody Knows remains my favorite by him.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love