love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684553 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #5250 on: November 15, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
RESIDENT EVIL - One of the most accurate depictions of video games in the sense that there's long stretches where nothing happens. 5.
You must be playing the wrong video games.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5251 on: November 15, 2020, 07:42:45 PM »
MIDNIGHT RUN - Billy Wilder could’ve made this in the 1950s with Kirk Douglas and Jack Lemmon. 9.

Playing in the theater in my head.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #5252 on: November 15, 2020, 10:51:58 PM »
MIDNIGHT RUN - Billy Wilder could’ve made this in the 1950s with Kirk Douglas and Jack Lemmon. 9.

Playing in the theater in my head.

I want this now.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5253 on: November 15, 2020, 10:54:45 PM »
Eh, it wouldn't be as good as the real one.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #5254 on: November 15, 2020, 11:51:24 PM »
If there's any problem with the film, it's the fact that peripheral characters are almost cartoonishly gullible. Wilder would've heightened the world just a few notches higher where that characteristic wouldn't feel so narratively convenient. I think people would be far more gullible in the 50s than in the 80s as well. You wouldn't have to change a whole lot of the narrative either. It could fit perfectly in that era.

It's still a near-perfect film as is. Wilder's version is just a nice little thought.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5255 on: November 17, 2020, 12:27:18 AM »

The Prodigal Son (1981)
I'm not here to talk about this Shaw Bros. film as a whole, which starts strong and veers into a routine direction in the back half. I want to mention actor Lam Ching-ying. With a Shaw Bros. martial arts film you get big star power but it's not a place to find great acting. Lam (on the right in the above photo) gives one of the great Supporting Actor performances of the year and perhaps the best performance in a Shaw Bros. film. He plays an actor in a theater troupe, specializing in female roles. He's also a master fighter, balancing his feminine acting skills with masculine martial arts without playing for the expected broad comedy. His character also suffers from crippling asthma attacks, which of course brings drama to the fights, but also is allowed to work as an extra layer of character depth you don't expect to see in a film like this.

dusty bottoms

« Reply #5256 on: November 17, 2020, 04:27:17 AM »
'The Innocents' (1961)

Dir.: Jack Clayton

Wow. I was not expecting to enjoy this so much. Very creepy, chilling psychological horror - I'd love to go back in time and see some of the reactions of theatre audiences. It's the story of a young woman who agrees to be a nanny for 2 children in an old house - but she increasingly becomes adamant the house is haunted by figures of the past. It is brilliantly lit so the cinematography is beautiful and at times plays tricks on the eye. Apparently cinematographer Freddie Francis used so many lamps to light the set that Deborah Kerr had to wear sunglasses between takes.

There's a really disturbing theme to the plot that grows as the film goes on, and the sound design is very sinister.  Brilliant film.

9/10
"Listen up, there's a storm coming.......... like nothing you've ever seen.......... and not a one of you.......... is prepared for it"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #5257 on: November 17, 2020, 06:53:43 AM »
Yup! One of the best horror movies of all time. Glad you enjoyed it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5258 on: November 18, 2020, 02:29:17 PM »
Apollo 13:

A digital rendering of Apollo 13 whizzes by the camera while detaching the thrusters from the crew cabin... little bursts of instantly frozen carbon dioxide puff out of various vents. It's a big dramatic shot. Something you could never actually film because the camera would be vaporized in the process. It's typical of the kind of shots directors would invent when given tools of CGI. Flashy and in your face.

These days there's nothing impressive about a shot like that. Whatever mindblowing, IMAX madness they were going for at the time has long since become a cliche. Watching it now the spectacle makes me roll my eyes. Instead it is the peaceful and beautiful images like those from Sunshine or Interstellar that impress me now. The complete opposite sort of shot. A ship, a mere speck on the screen, silently passing by a planet. A shot that lasts perhaps 15 seconds, and in which the camera pans ever so slowly. It inspires a sense of wonder that the entirety of Apollo 13 never does, no matter how tearily the actors look out the cockpit windows.

All that said, a good story is a good story... and this is a very good story.

dusty bottoms

« Reply #5259 on: November 19, 2020, 09:08:50 AM »
Instead it is the peaceful and beautiful images like those from Sunshine or Interstellar that impress me now. The complete opposite sort of shot. A ship, a mere speck on the screen, silently passing by a planet. A shot that lasts perhaps 15 seconds, and in which the camera pans ever so slowly. It inspires a sense of wonder that the entirety of Apollo 13 never does, no matter how tearily the actors look out the cockpit windows.

Have you seen Aniara (2018)? It's not going to top the sci-fi film lists but it is an intelligently structured film with a great message, and although it's a low budget film it does have a few of those type of shots you seem to enjoy.
"Listen up, there's a storm coming.......... like nothing you've ever seen.......... and not a one of you.......... is prepared for it"

love