love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684763 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #6020 on: July 24, 2021, 01:21:43 PM »
Bourdain is a traveler in the truest sense of the word and he understood the connecting power of sharing a meal. You learn so much about a person, about their culture when you sit down to eat together.
Plus he is the patron saint for those of us in the restaurant industry.
He got it.
He got us.
He spoke in our language.
He was the king of our misfit army.
Out of all the “celebrity deaths” I’ve experienced, his actually hit hard.
Hey, nice marmot!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6021 on: July 24, 2021, 06:35:35 PM »
Thanks 1SO…
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6022 on: July 25, 2021, 10:19:20 PM »
Pig (2021)

Somehow I had it in my mind that this was going to be a John Wick-style film, wherein Nicolas Cage goes on a rampage in pursuit of his beloved truffle pig, stolen due to the hot truffle market in the Portland dining scene. But while there are two scenes of moderate violence, this is a much more contemplative film. We meet Rob (Cage) as kind of a haggard mountain man whose only real interaction is with Amir, who brings him supplies in exchange for truffles. Through the journey we learn a lot more about his character's past, and those of a couple other characters that really shifts it into an emotional look at grief. Getting in and out in 90 minutes, it is quite a joy, if a bittersweet one.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6023 on: July 28, 2021, 11:31:27 AM »
Roadrunner

I haven’t watched much of Bourdain’s shows but you do get a touch of how he gains a travel style that one might emulate…but also the places that might be somewhat of a facade (generally imposed by others).

The critical flaws are being maybe 30 minutes too long and being too contemptuous of Asia Argento even though I’m not convinced she did anything wrong.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6024 on: July 28, 2021, 06:28:51 PM »
I’ve watched most of his shows over the years as I think they are all pretty much on YouTube, at least I think all of Parts Unknown are.  Plus it has a great opening

https://youtu.be/C-g3AabqoE8

It is worth watching a few, maybe just find a place you are interested in and he likely has visited
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6025 on: July 29, 2021, 11:11:57 PM »

Gene Hackman

Candice Bergen

Oliver Reed

The Hunting Party (1971)

The good news is I seem to be getting away from empty recommendations and into films I never knew existed that come with impressive credentials. The bad news is these films aren't much better behind the appealing packaging. A Western that puts Oliver Reed, as a well-meaning illiterate with a mad dog crew, against Gene Hackman, who leads his own crew of tycoons carrying powerful and accurate sniper rifles. Caught between them is Candice Bergen, and here is where we get to why you've probably never heard of this film.

We've written about films that have aged poorly in small ways, but I can't figure out why a feminist like Bergen would play a woman who is just here to be repeatedly raped and assaulted. The film opens with Hackman raping her and they're a married couple. (Later on, Hackman is with a prostitute and he's even more brutal to her.) The amount of "adult content" is so far out of proportion, including a cow being slaughtered in the first five minutes, that I can't think of what kind of screwball is meant to enjoy any of this.
RATING: ★ ★

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6026 on: July 30, 2021, 11:31:34 PM »
Jungle Cruise
★ ★ ★ - Good
Disney realized the odds of another Pirates of the Caribbean were slim and the $250 million earmarked for the franchise must've been burning a hole in their money bin. (That said, the effects work is on par with a 90s film. Even something simple like lit torches look fake.) What I liked about the film wasn't all of the Disney winking at itself, but the star power. I'm a sucker for two major stars turning on the wattage and well-timed interplay. Johnson and Blunt don't have any romantic chemistry, which is like a brownie without the chocolate fudge, but they're still delicious fun.

Curious to find out why the film uses the guitar work from Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" as a recurring bit of score. It doesn't not work, but there must've been a better choice.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #6027 on: July 31, 2021, 06:05:19 AM »
That Green Knight is really good.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #6028 on: July 31, 2021, 06:17:32 AM »
Jungle Cruise
★ ★ ★ - Good
Disney realized the odds of another Pirates of the Caribbean were slim and the $250 million earmarked for the franchise must've been burning a hole in their money bin. (That said, the effects work is on par with a 90s film. Even something simple like lit torches look fake.) What I liked about the film wasn't all of the Disney winking at itself, but the star power. I'm a sucker for two major stars turning on the wattage and well-timed interplay. Johnson and Blunt don't have any romantic chemistry, which is like a brownie without the chocolate fudge, but they're still delicious fun.

Curious to find out why the film uses the guitar work from Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" as a recurring bit of score. It doesn't not work, but there must've been a better choice.

Has Johnson ever shown a romantic chemistry with a co-star? A little in The Scorpion King, but romantic chemistry does not seem to be part of his charm. He much more comes off as the charming best-mate who is always single.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6029 on: July 31, 2021, 06:34:50 AM »
It’s not, but he had chemistry with Carla Gugino in San Andreas.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:38:08 AM by 1SO »