Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 683939 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #6110 on: September 09, 2021, 11:32:13 PM »
He's truly the best thing about that movie.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #6111 on: September 10, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »
Kate (2021 Cedric Nicolas-Troyan)

D.O.A meets John Wick, not as insane as Crank, which had a similar premise. This movie is completely predictable. It did not matter, it was a blast of an action movie. There have been a few female lead action films in recent years and this is one of the better ones.

Rating: 75 / 100

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6112 on: September 10, 2021, 09:51:08 AM »
Looking at the poster, does Kate exist in the Gunpowder Milkshake Cinematic Universe?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6113 on: September 11, 2021, 02:35:05 AM »
No, just a small assassination group and the Yakuza. So in that way it is not like John Wick or Gunpowder Milkshake, there is no Library or Hotel or similar place. Kate is simply a badass assassin. So a little more like Chev Chelios (Crank) in that regard, although Chev was not an assassin. John Wick is jus the first badass assassin I could think of. Perhaps Kate is more an older Mindy Macready (Kick-Ass). There is no shady government program, ala Hanna, or super drug, ala Lucy. She is not trying to recover her child, ala Furie.

I watch a lot of action movies :) So with more thought my review will be:

D.O.A meets John Wick older Mindy Macready or Cataleya (Colombiana), not as insane as Crank, which had a similar premise. This movie is completely predictable. It did not matter, it was a blast of an action movie. There have been a few female lead action films in recent years and this is one of the better ones.

The poster is very Gunpowder Milkshake in style.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6114 on: September 12, 2021, 03:11:05 AM »
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
This is unlike anything I've seen to this point, and I absolutely love it. I'll put together something more intelligent to say soon. Far as French New Wave goes, this seems to be of the more tender variety, and while I enjoy watching Godard test the viewer's patience and flex his wit, this one resonates with me more than the Godards I've seen so far except Pierrot le Fou.

Watched it as a prelude to watching The Young Girls of Rochefort.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 02:16:53 PM by Eric/E.T. »
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6115 on: September 12, 2021, 08:33:20 AM »
Prey

I haven’t been watching a lot of movies lately and when I do, I seldom mention them and I realise why when it is something like this.. most just are not very good or worth the effort.  This is a Germany film that appeared on Netflix about a group of friends that go deep into the woods to hang out and bond but they end up in a fight of survival when somebody starts trying to hunt them down. One thing to realise, it is not just Hollywood films that have bad tropes or stereotypes… Of the 5 German friends, 1 is of Asian descent that is always causing hold ups like being scared of heights and being overly scared when your survival instinct should be kicking in, at least up until he dies… (spoiler, but I think you know it will happen as you see him as part of the cast).   Why are they being hunted?  I guess that would also be a spoiler but better just to say.. don’t waste your time.  Damn you Netflix…
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6116 on: September 12, 2021, 07:30:59 PM »
Damn you Netflix…

The #1 quote of the 2020s
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6117 on: September 12, 2021, 07:42:49 PM »
When it comes to films, there is little on Netflix that I can find that I ever want to watch… I sometimes settle on something but usually it is just a waste of time.. Maybe I take a break from it after Ozark drops the next season and I finish Animal Kingdom that it released weekly. But then need HBO Max to come so there is something to stream
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6118 on: September 13, 2021, 08:28:52 AM »
More female lead action films.

Naked Weapon (2002)

This one turned up on a list of the 12 best Female Assassin movies of all time, and I had seen all the others. I have no idea how this movie ended up on any best of list. The action was super over posy, the acting and dialogue was awful, the plot started out pretty good, then lost it completely. There were a couple of ok fights.

Rating: 45 / 100

Proud Mary (2018)

Another disappointment, not bad, just flat. It failed to engage me with the characters or their relationships to one another.

Rating: 65 / 100

Oh well the search goes on. On the plus side I have now seen all the films in the first list.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6119 on: September 13, 2021, 05:08:34 PM »
Annette

A controversial comic and a brilliant singer have a romance and a child… then disaster strikes. 

This is an attempt to be like Umbrellas of Cherbourg via opera.  A simple story with conversational lyrics and a lot of repetition.  But in the end, I can only remember what I didn’t like about it.

Too much repetition.  Yeah, I see the storm.  You don’t need the chorus to tell me twenty times what I see.  Oh, it’s in the dialogue, too?  I think I got it.

Let’s add Adam Driver to the good actors that shouldn’t be allowed to sing in films.

The puppet is major uncanny valley.

Unlike UoC, I didn’t care about any of these characters or what happens to them.

Maybe it’s because the “dialogue” is so unrealistic.

1/5
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:23:51 AM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love