Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684052 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #6840 on: November 28, 2022, 05:55:21 AM »
FWIW, there were latino boys in his Phoenix Boy Scout troop/film cast. But the film is very interior to the family home, until they were at the very white Silicon Valley school. I’m not sure where more diversity would fit in. But I guess our basic disagreement is how fond the film is about the past, and I suppose subsequent is how much that fondness is driven by the increased whiteness of the past. I’m not sure what is needed to not seem nostalgic, outside the sense of alienation here. Did the film need to signpost the years by putting in news clips of Jim Crow/civil rights movement. To have Sammy anachronistically be critical of his influences based on modern sensibilities?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6841 on: November 30, 2022, 03:36:25 PM »
The Outfit is this years sleeper/surprise. Really good.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6842 on: December 03, 2022, 03:35:51 PM »
The Fabelmans
I think this is a comfort film for baby boomers and those of the silent generation.
I see it giving comfort to a generation of people who grew up in homes that ended in divorce or where it was clear the parents were only staying together for the children, but I see you're talking in a broader sense.

I don't think the film idolizes John Ford. Ford was a complex individual, tough and tender, helpful and abusive. The scene captures both parts in a way that's emotionally true.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6843 on: December 03, 2022, 03:37:13 PM »
Anyway, this really exceeded my expectations and jumps into my top five for the year. Spielberg has tons of films in my essentials list but it has felt like an age since he's wowed me. Apparently turning inside was the key to opening a new phase.
I can easily see this as his best late period film and most important to understanding his career, but I enjoy Ready Player One and will probably rewatch that one more.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #6844 on: December 09, 2022, 03:12:29 AM »
Big week for me. * is a rewatch.

Supergirl (1984): This was a slog.

Once Upon A Time In The West*: Still holds up. Appreciated the score even more this time.

Knives Out*: Enjoyed it more this time. Was able to appreciate the script more. I must've had difference expectations the first time.

Amsterdam: Fun chemistry between the three leads but not a lot else.

Children Of Men*: I'm still amazed by the single take action scenes. I haven't read up on if there was any tricks but they're amazing on the surface.

Goodfellas*: Apparently my second favourite Scorsese out of the surprising 13 total I've seen.

Judas And The Black Messiah: A little on the boring side (terrible of me i know) but very strong lead performances.

The Northman: Another slog.

Bodies Bodies Bodies: The perfect ending.

Last Night In Soho: An extra half star for the last 25 minutes. My favourite Anya Taylor-Joy role.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 03:23:06 AM by The Deer Hunter »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6845 on: December 10, 2022, 09:51:48 PM »
Clerks III

After the tired exercise in meta remakquel that was Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, maybe I should have just given a pass to Clerks III, but I do have more of a fondness for the Dante/Randall dynamic and Clerks II is one of my favorites from Kevin Smith. And to the good, Clerks III does have some original comedy, and more importantly the emotional payoff, that makes the series strong. But so much of it is a bit too much about reliving the glory of the series rather than adding to it, or just unsuccessful bits. While sometimes the characters are acting like non-actors trying to act, the inconsistency of the acting goes beyond that in a way that stands out more than it did in previous films. So yeah, ultimately it skates by on nostalgia and doing just enough to make me not resent it. For superfans only.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6846 on: December 10, 2022, 10:17:00 PM »

Skinamarink (2022)

A new kind of Horror film - and I've already found two more that work in a similar style - I heard about this just this week from 3 different sources: on Twitter, a Horror Film forum and a podcast hosted by Sean Fennessey. The film ditches 98% of plot and focuses almost exclusively and sound and images that create feelings of dread and anxiety.

Taking place in one house in the middle of the night, the film asks that you shut out all distractions and watch only at night. You're expected to lean into the screen to try and make sense of the dark and often murky images. There's a constant feeling that something bad is happening and while jump scares are minimal, there are a few moments where a quick burst of noise is jolting. More often we get familiar household objects or faces, only they're slightly distorted or found in unexpected places.

At 100 minutes, this is a mighty ask for the viewer and I would expect opinions to be on the extreme ends, depending on if the style grabs you. There are moments where I was able to lock into what was being attempted, but the lack of drama and dramatic build left a giant hole in the experience. I believe the technique will eventually produce a better result or will influence a more mainstream project, and I'm curious to explore this trend.
RATING: ★ ★
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 11:08:53 PM by 1SO »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6847 on: December 11, 2022, 06:45:07 PM »
Interesting idea but 100 mins seems to be stretching it.  Are the other titles that you are aware of shorter?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6848 on: December 11, 2022, 09:10:39 PM »
The Outwaters (2022) is also 100 minutes and is described as creating the same level of anxiety as Uncut Gems but at a sedate pace. Last night I watched Dead Slow Ahead (2015), which is only 70min, but that one I argue against it being described as a Horror movie at all. It's like the observational documentary Leviathan (2012), which has more startling and grotesque imagery than DSA, which is largely about the lulling effect of machinery in repetition while staring at empty corridors and blueprints.

It's about how well you can get pulled into the mood. Chantal Akerman is a director I've seen mentioned with this film, and I was thinking about her while watching the film. If the film is working then 100 minutes of terror is better than 80 minutes.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6849 on: December 12, 2022, 01:19:49 AM »
May try to check out Outwaters first given the little I read.  I think my reaction to Dead Slow Ahead will be similar to Leviathan; something I thought I would “enjoy” but didn’t.

None will be of interest to my wife though so will put them on a list of some time out in the future

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman