Author Topic: show topics (not necessarily top 5's)  (Read 3009 times)

Anonymous

show topics (not necessarily top 5's)
« on: July 09, 2005, 11:27:47 PM »
Here are some ideas I'd love to hear the guys talk about on future shows...

What are the red flags that tell you a movie is going to be a stinker?  
- If you hear that there are bloopers during the closing credits, it's gonna suck.  (see: TAXI (or better yet, don't see it))
- If the TV ads interview audience members as they leave the theatre, get ready to hold your nose.  This means not even the cheesiest reviewers liked it, or worse, they didn't let the press see it at all.

What are your guys pet peeves about filmgoing?
- One recent studio trend I hate is when scenes are included in the trailers but don't make it into the final cut.  It totally makes me feel like I am missing part of the movie.  I know that's what DVD's are for, but you'd think if it was good enough to be in the ad, it would make it into the film.
- How about screen-hoppers coming in and out of the theatre during the movie?  Especially prevalent in the googleplexes, and the stadium seating usually means that these cheapskates (not movie fans) are completely visible because they enter near the front of the theatre and work their way back.  You's think that with the price of movie tickets, the exhibitors  could afford to staff enough ushers to watch for people sneaking in and out.

How great is the age we live in for cinephiles?  
- With Netflix, Tivo, Podcasts, IMDB and more, movie fans have SO much more access to films and to info about films.  Even just a few years ago it was so much harder to find great films, both well-known classics and undiscovered gems.  I look so forward to the red envelopes in my mailbox...it's like my birthday every day.

Ok...discuss

Anonymous

Re: show topics (not necessarily top 5's)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 05:01:35 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

- How about screen-hoppers coming in and out of the theatre during the movie?  Especially prevalent in the googleplexes, and the stadium seating usually means that these cheapskates (not movie fans) are completely visible because they enter near the front of the theatre and work their way back.  You's think that with the price of movie tickets, the exhibitors  could afford to staff enough ushers to watch for people sneaking in and out.

three things:

1. most of the people you see going in and out are going to the restroom or going to buy more popcorn or something.

2. the bulk of the price of movie tickets goes to the film's distributor, not to the exhibitors.  depending on what the film is and how long it's been in release the distributors ususally take up to 90% of the ticket price.  for revenge of the sith, rumor is that lucas demanded 110% of the ticket gross for the first 3 weeks of release.

3. most exhibitors are losing money and have been doing so for quite awhile.  even if they weren't, you don't really expect them to pay 20 people to do nothing but stand outside a theatre door in case someone tries to hop theatres, do you?

Anonymous

Re: show topics (not necessarily top 5's)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 05:03:11 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

three things:

1. most of the people you see going in and out are going to the restroom or going to buy more popcorn or something.

2. the bulk of the price of movie tickets goes to the film's distributor, not to the exhibitors.  depending on what the film is and how long it's been in release the distributors ususally take up to 90% of the ticket price.  for revenge of the sith, rumor is that lucas demanded 110% of the ticket gross for the first 3 weeks of release.

3. most exhibitors are losing money and have been doing so for quite awhile.  even if they weren't, you don't really expect them to pay 20 people to do nothing but stand outside a theatre door in case someone tries to hop theatres, do you?