Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163386 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #480 on: January 24, 2018, 06:32:35 AM »
The indie scene may be different, but the last mainstream lesbian movies I can think of are Carol and Blue is the Warmest Colour while there are regularly high profile gay movies. Or maybe my impression is wrong.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #481 on: January 24, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »
I want a Judge Rosemarie Aquilina biopic with a surprise dramatic turn from Fran Drescher.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #482 on: January 24, 2018, 07:13:18 PM »
So why have I been hanging out here for 12 years and never heard of the multiplier?

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/the-astonishing-success-of-the-greatest-showman/551081/
Texan Down Under

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #483 on: January 24, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »
Are there more gay than lesbian movies (by a wide margin) because there are statistically more gays than lesbians in the population or it is something else?

Source? I mean, I suppose for the reason jdc mentions I could see there being more gay than lesbian movies but I don't know that it just stands out as obvious.

There might be more gay men than lesbian women but there are probably more non-straight women than non-straight men. Female sexuality tends to be more fluid.

Just wondering what that last statement would be based on.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2018, 07:56:54 PM »
Dan Savage's years of experience fielding questions about sex and talking to people who research issues of sex.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #485 on: January 25, 2018, 03:34:39 AM »
Are there more gay than lesbian movies (by a wide margin) because there are statistically more gays than lesbians in the population or it is something else?

Source? I mean, I suppose for the reason jdc mentions I could see there being more gay than lesbian movies but I don't know that it just stands out as obvious.

There might be more gay men than lesbian women but there are probably more non-straight women than non-straight men. Female sexuality tends to be more fluid.

He's right, I don't have a link at the ready, but every statistic I've looked at indicates there are more gay men than lesbians but a larger amount of bi women than bi men, across countries.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #486 on: January 25, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »

The 41st Göteborg Film Festival begins tomorrow.

We will watch one film a day for the next eleven days:
  • The Battle Of Algiers, A Film Within History (Malek Bensmail)
  • Golden Exits (Alex Ross Perry)
  • 24 Frames (Abbas Kiarostami)
  • Time Trial (Finlay Pretsell)
  • The Work ( Jairus McLeary, Gethin Aldous)
  • Western (Valeska Grisebach)
  • In The Fade (Fatih Akin)
  • Disobedience (Sebastián Lelio)
  • Let The Sunshine In (Claire Denis)
  • You Were Never Really Here (Lynne Ramsay)
  • Zama (Lucrecia Martel)

Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #487 on: January 25, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »

He's right, I don't have a link at the ready, but every statistic I've looked at indicates there are more gay men than lesbians but a larger amount of bi women than bi men, across countries.

Color me skeptical. It would take some real deep probing to understand sexual fluidity. Even if someone is bisexual, you'd need to understand where they fell on that continuum. Since you're relying on people to be honest when they take surveys or do interviews, and their responses may be colored by cultural factors among others, getting to the truth would be elusive.  To me, it just seems easier to say women are more sexually fluid because that's how it's often portrayed in popular culture, the media, etc. 
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #488 on: January 25, 2018, 06:33:26 PM »
Don't forget from the personal experience of all the various people that you have met in your life. But Bondo is the one that probably has been studying this so given the challenge, I am sure he can produce actual statistic studies and data.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #489 on: January 25, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
I mean, I don't want to spend hours creating a bibliography but here's one example. One research method that has tended to indicate the higher fluidity among women comes from tests that involve hooking male and female participants' genitals up to a meter of blood flow and then showing them different pictures or videos. This measures arousal at a physiological level rather than basing things on self-identification, though as noted in this article, those measures also show more shifting of identity in women.

love