Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163563 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
Also, The Arbor.
I love The Arbor and thought about it too, but it felt more  like a biopic than a doc, don't you think?
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »
I count it as a doc, but I wouldn't call them re-enactments because they aren't really putting into effect things that actually happened in a literal sense.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »
My company does a lot of true-crime TV stuff and my bosses struggle a lot with re-enactments. They constantly ask themselves if the audience needs it, but ultimately it comes down to the network sending back notes saying "where is recre?" and not wanting a battle.

It's difficult and above my pay-grade, but it's a fine line between needing them or not and as much as you want to trust your audience, it seems the public responds to it based on testing. We talk about the classic documenataries like The Thin Blue Line where most felt it works (Touching the Void comes up a lot too, the "performances" in that are great) and have said documentary isn't the best title for it- docu-drama or non-fiction seems to fit it more. For me as a viewer, it all depends how it compliments what I'm seeing and hearing, but I'm certainly biased from being exposed to it daily.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm taking away from any discussion, just saying that I find from my own perspective it stems a lot from the filmmaker(s) wanting to convey intent and meaning behind the information in the best way. So it stems more from asking if something narrated or archival doesn't work then is this the best way to convey information? That being said, there is a trend to try to make it FLASHY and MOODY, but audiences seem to like that cinematic aspect to it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:59:01 PM by StudentOFilm »
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2017, 03:23:04 PM »
I appreciate your perspective, StudentOFilm. I especially like the idea of labeling certain re-enact-o-docs as "non-fiction cinema" or something to that effect.

I watch a lot of Forensic Files (I think of it as non-fiction television, not a docu-series) Each episode includes brief scenes of re-enactments of the crimes with the parts played by actors. It also has re-enactments of the forensic techniques used (fingerprinting, DNA analysis, etc), often with the actual people who did the scientific work. Does that make a difference?
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »
I can't find any reviews for LION.  Has anyone seen it?
Texan Down Under

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
I can't find any reviews for LION.  Has anyone seen it?

I have. I wrote a review. It's okay. It's not Asuperplus, whatever Junior may tell you.

My review is in the Respond thread two weeks ago or thereabouts if you're interested.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »
Thanks.  What I'm worried about is that I've heard there is graphic depiction of child abuse.  I have a really difficult time watching that onscreen.
Texan Down Under

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »
Thanks.  What I'm worried about is that I've heard there is graphic depiction of child abuse.  I have a really difficult time watching that onscreen.

I don't remember anything along those lines.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2017, 08:48:14 PM »
I haven't seen Lion and I have little intention of doing so before any ballots are due. So it won't be getting an Asuperplus from me any time soon.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2017, 04:41:22 AM »
All child abuse is definitely off screen.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love