love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163412 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2017, 12:53:25 AM »
If everyone had to ballpark it, how many movies do you think you watch for every movie that comes along and blows you away? Like a full 10/10 or Top-100 worthy or however you want to think of that top tier.

I haven't tracked what I watched very well for the last couple of years but I think it is probably very few.  Maybe 2 to 3 out of 100 seems about correct.  I've had periods where I started to lose interest in watching a lot of films and find it hard to get excited to want to watch something and then I hit one of those films that blow me away and I can't wait to have that experience again, even if I have to watch 100 more duds
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2017, 03:05:47 AM »
If everyone had to ballpark it, how many movies do you think you watch for every movie that comes along and blows you away? Like a full 10/10 or Top-100 worthy or however you want to think of that top tier.

I must watch somewhere over 200 movies a year and ever since my first Top 100 two years ago I've been adding new movies to my top lists. They're both new releases and discoveries. Out of the top of my head, I would say 3 to 6 Top 100 a year sounds about right. To me that means movies that rate 9/10 or higher. Then again, the list is very young, and I have watched way fewer movies than most people here.

I think I also have a good ratio of 8/10 movies I think, which is what I hope every movie I watch will turn out to be, but that's because I tend to concentrate on my niches.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2017, 05:07:38 AM »
Way too much of my movie viewing is down time action/no brain stuff. So I do not expect to be blown away very often at all. Happy to just enjoy 2 hours of entertainment. The 2 most recent movies to blow me away were The Raid and Mad Max: Fury Road.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »
My viewing anymore is so directed (Marathons and new releases) that I would say I rarely anymore get Top 100 worthy stuff, but I chalk that up mostly to my viewing habits. If I were to shift to try and seek those movies out, I imagine I would be far more successful.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »
My viewing anymore is so directed (Marathons and new releases) that I would say I rarely anymore get Top 100 worthy stuff, but I chalk that up mostly to my viewing habits. If I were to shift to try and seek those movies out, I imagine I would be far more successful.

Bit of a sad answer. Do you watch movies to tick boxes?

As for breaking a lull, perhaps go with a rewatch of something you feel you didn't appreciate for whatever reason the first time round. That's worked countless times for me.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »
The last time I added a new movie my top 250 was Remember the Night, which I saw in March 2014. I have very very few "blow me away" experiences these days, partly because 1) I've seen most of the acknowledged classics and an awful lot of the hidden gems that are likely to appeal to me, and 2) I don't watch nearly as many movies as I used to. On the up side, because I've gotten so much more selective about what I watch, I very rarely have a bad experience. Of the 55 movies (not counting rewatches or stand-up specials) I've seen in the past year, only 15 were below the "lime green" (mid-to-high "good") range. The rest were all at least pretty decent, very worthwhile.

Of the less-than-good 15 movies, 4 were disappointing true crime docs, 1 was for top 100 club, 1 was Manos: Hands of Fate (so it was entertainingly terrible), and 1 was my wife's choice.

I would say Sing Street (which I saw in October 2016) could possibly enter my top 250 list, as could Watership Down (May 2015). Now that I think about it, so could my watches Teproc's top 100 club: Timbuktu and Our Little Sister.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »

Bit of a sad answer. Do you watch movies to tick boxes?

Not entirely. My marathons are typically constructed to focus on things I'm interested in seeing to begin with, they are just sometimes more focused and therefore more restrictive than "this is a movie I want to see". It's more like "this is a Western movie I want to see", or something like that.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »
The last time I added a new movie my top 250 was Remember the Night, which I saw in March 2014. I have very very few "blow me away" experiences these days, partly because 1) I've seen most of the acknowledged classics and an awful lot of the hidden gems that are likely to appeal to me, and 2) I don't watch nearly as many movies as I used to. On the up side, because I've gotten so much more selective about what I watch, I very rarely have a bad experience. Of the 55 movies (not counting rewatches or stand-up specials) I've seen in the past year, only 15 were below the "lime green" (mid-to-high "good") range. The rest were all at least pretty decent, very worthwhile.

Do you ever feel compelled to just sit down with something you know you'll love (an old favourite) over something new and unknown?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2017, 11:18:26 PM »

If you thought Malkovich was old now, just wait till he's 175 years old!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2017, 11:25:46 PM »

Do you ever feel compelled to just sit down with something you know you'll love (an old favourite) over something new and unknown?

Sure, all the time.