love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163470 times)

Jeff Schroeck

Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #280 on: July 04, 2017, 02:02:22 PM »
Does anybody know if a copy of Michael O'Donahue & Mitch Glazer's original Scrooged script exists online?

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »
Does anybody know if a copy of Michael O'Donahue & Mitch Glazer's original Scrooged script exists online?

I can only find the 7th draft. Don't know if this is the dark version that has been referred to and then Murray and co. just changed it during filmmaking.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »

I can only find the 7th draft. Don't know if this is the dark version that has been referred to and then Murray and co. just changed it during filmmaking.

Thanks! I saw that this revision was used for a live reading, so it's probably safe to assume it's different enough to warrant that performance.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2017, 06:45:59 AM »
This kind of relates to the recent SVU podcast on multilingual films, but To The Wonder is a film that has French, Italian, English and I think even Spanish. Each of these is subtitled in English. Then it has someone using sign language and the captioning just said [Person speaking in sign language]. It feels insulting to not translate the ASL like you would a spoken language.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2017, 06:53:06 AM »
Unless ASL is meant to not be understood by the audience, like an additional foreign language that the main character is not able to follow. I don't know if that's the case of To the Wonder.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2017, 07:08:33 AM »
This kind of relates to the recent SVU podcast on multilingual films, but To The Wonder is a film that has French, Italian, English and I think even Spanish. Each of these is subtitled in English. Then it has someone using sign language and the captioning just said [Person speaking in sign language]. It feels insulting to not translate the ASL like you would a spoken language.

But insulting to whom?

I don't know in the context of this movie, but I think it depends on if it was meant to be understood or not as DH mentioned. In the theater they probably would not use the caption [Person speaking in sign language], either it got translated or not. If it wasn't meant to be understood they best just to leave the entire caption off.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2017, 05:53:27 PM »
In the context of the film I did not get the sense that we were in the place of a character who did not understand the ASL. Basically by not translating the ASL it becomes gibberish. It would be like putting [speaking Chinese] while having someone speak in stereotypical fake Chinese or something.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #287 on: July 11, 2017, 02:00:55 AM »
If the ASL is accurate and not gibberish then it's not the same as having someone speak in fake Chinese, it's like having someone speak real Chinese and put [speaking Chinese] instead of translating. It's still a bit strange if other languages are translated and that one isn't without a contextual reason, I can even understand considering it insulting (I can't remember the language details of To The Wonder well enough to judge), but it's not on the same level as using fake ASL would be.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2017, 04:13:28 AM »
Where did you watch it, Bondo?  Was it Netflix?  They are known for issues with captions and they are likely with how the film originally was in the theater

http://awkwardnetflixcaptions.tumblr.com/

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #289 on: July 11, 2017, 06:15:34 AM »
Yes, it was on Netflix.

love