love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163473 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #290 on: July 17, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
Mom wants you all to see Maudie.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #291 on: July 17, 2017, 03:00:34 PM »
I chose card night with friends over that movie. Mom would be disappointed...
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #292 on: July 17, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
 :)

Thanks, Mom! I'm going to the city on Friday and it opens that day at the art house theatre there! Can't wait!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #293 on: July 17, 2017, 04:00:55 PM »
Sorry, Mom. Too busy playing board games.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #294 on: July 19, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »
1. I just watched Midnight Mary starring Loretta Young and I realized how much she reminds me of Joan Crawford, both in terms of physical appearance and how their films would have aspects of Crime and Noir but would have more of the feel of a female-driven melodrama. All due respect to Crawford, who is deservedly a legend and a great actress, but I'm more drawn to Young's films, which play less like movies made for a female audience.

2. I know that we've reached the point where some people, including ones here who are here because they like cinema, have never heard of Loretta Young. Some have also never heard of Crawford, or have never seen one of her films. I came along at a time when "the classics" now reaches further back than just a couple of generations, and catching up with the Greats is a demand that has exceeded some abilities.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #295 on: July 19, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »
Hey, I watched Mildred Pierce!...

(Though admittedly I had to Google her to find out she was the main character in it.)
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #296 on: July 19, 2017, 05:42:23 PM »
1. I just watched Midnight Mary starring Loretta Young

Check out both Employees' Entrance (1933) & Man's Castle (1933) if you really like her. Two Pre-Code classics.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #297 on: July 19, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
Seen them both. Really like Employees Entrance, great showcase for Warren William. Mans Castle I respect but it's a rough ride.

Have to be careful I don't confuse her with Ann Dvorak, who has a similar look. Her best (besides Scarface) is Three on a Match and I don't know if anything else comes close.

I've added The Unguarded Hour to my Watchlist, which again teams Young with Franchot Tone.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:13:44 PM by 1SO »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #298 on: July 19, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »
2. I know that we've reached the point where some people, including ones here who are here because they like cinema, have never heard of Loretta Young. Some have also never heard of Crawford, or have never seen one of her films. I came along at a time when "the classics" now reaches further back than just a couple of generations, and catching up with the Greats is a demand that has exceeded some abilities.

Mine certainly! Not enough hours in the day.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #299 on: July 19, 2017, 10:04:46 PM »
All due respect to Crawford, who is deservedly a legend and a great actress, but I'm more drawn to Young's films, which play less like movies made for a female audience.
I don't see it. If you said Bette Davis then yeah, but I don't see how Crawford's movies are any more women's pictures than Young's. Maybe it's that most of what I've seen from both are noirs? I also can't think of a bad Crawford film, but can think of several very clunky Youmg films.

love