Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163482 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #430 on: December 20, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »
It's a year where Saoirse Ronan and Sally Hawkins are likely to get nominations, but they'll probably just give another damn award to Meryl Streep.

Meryl only has 3 Oscars in 20 nominations lol. All three will likely be nominated. My early money is on Ronan to take the award, but I don't think Meryl will get it. We'll see.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #431 on: December 20, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »
It's a year where Saoirse Ronan and Sally Hawkins are likely to get nominations, but they'll probably just give another damn award to Meryl Streep.
Curious if anyone on the boards actually considers Streep one of the great contemporary actresses. Only films I can honestly say I love her in is Kramer vs. Kramer and Doubt.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #432 on: December 20, 2017, 08:45:28 AM »
Ladybird doesn't get released until March here. This is what I have to deal with. My only solace is that it doesn't get to Singapore until April, so at least one person will suffer more than me.

hmmm.. that is a crazy delay. We actually get a lot of large releases earlier but still struggle with smaller, good films.  At least I know I got to watch Star Wars: The Last Jedi early... now only if I remembered it
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #433 on: December 20, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »
Curious if anyone on the boards actually considers Streep one of the great contemporary actresses. Only films I can honestly say I love her in is Kramer vs. Kramer and Doubt.

3. Who is the greatest living movie Actor and Actress?
Actress (living) : Meryll Streep (what do you want me to do?)

Ladybird doesn't get released until March here. This is what I have to deal with. My only solace is that it doesn't get to Singapore until April, so at least one person will suffer more than me.

hmmm.. that is a crazy delay. We actually get a lot of large releases earlier but still struggle with smaller, good films.  At least I know I got to watch Star Wars: The Last Jedi early... now only if I remembered it

How dare you?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #434 on: December 20, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
I do. In a Deathmatch, I prefer Streep to Daniel Day-Lewis. It's close, and the only advantage is Steep doesn't let you know how hard the process was, how much work she had to put into disappearing into the character. She just does it again and again, instead of making us wait years for the next one.

Bas as The Iron Lady is, Streep deserved that Oscar. I've yet to see DDL be that great in a film with a mediocre script and a bad director. (The Crucible, The Boxer, Nine).

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #435 on: December 20, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Second that Iron Lady comment. She was phenomenal.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #436 on: December 20, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
I like her and she is one of the greatest but looking at it, I guess my actions speak louder than words. I haven't seen her last 9 movies and have zero interest in any of them. I haven't liked one since Fantastic Mr. Fox. I haven't liked a non-animated one since Doubt. I doubt there is anyone in the last 5 years or so that has been, say, nominated for an acting Oscar that I've shown less interest in.

This is just answering Sam's question about the here and now. There is tons of stuff from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 00s that I love. I'm also looking forward to seeing her new movie.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #437 on: December 20, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »
Not seeing her last 9 movies, is that just because she appears in the type of movies that you are just not that into?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #438 on: December 20, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »
She is fantastic in Ricki and the Flash. Shows what she can do with a great director. Zero interest in The Iron Lady.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #439 on: December 20, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
Not seeing her last 9 movies, is that just because she appears in the type of movies that you are just not that into?

Yes. Recently at least. Ricki and the Flash is the one I most want to see of those I suppose

love