Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163447 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2018, 03:11:02 PM »
So I got my MoviePass card yesterday and used it to see Phantom Thread for a second time. It's so easy to use and the valuse is insane. With practically every theater in my area, including the independent ones, on board, this is too good a deal to pass up. If I see more than 12 movies in a theater this year, it will pay for itself. I don't know why I waited this long.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #501 on: January 29, 2018, 08:13:57 PM »
MoviePass has reinvigorated my filmgoing. Well, and moving back to a place with more than one theater within 30 miles. I'm on the monthly plan because I don't trust that it will last. But even a matinee here is $14, so if I just see one movie a month, I'm covered. And I'm seeing more like 5 a week.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #502 on: January 29, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »
So I got my MoviePass card yesterday and used it to see Phantom Thread for a second time. It's so easy to use and the valuse is insane. With practically every theater in my area, including the independent ones, on board, this is too good a deal to pass up. If I see more than 12 movies in a theater this year, it will pay for itself. I don't know why I waited this long.

My filmgoing has just been reinvigorated the past two months, and I didn't even know what MoviePass really was until I looked it up just now. There are a bunch of AMCs in Phoenix, and little FilmBar even takes it. Thanks for bringing this up!

Yet another subscription...
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #503 on: January 29, 2018, 11:41:57 PM »

My filmgoing has just been reinvigorated the past two months, and I didn't even know what MoviePass really was until I looked it up just now. There are a bunch of AMCs in Phoenix, and little FilmBar even takes it. Thanks for bringing this up!

Yet another subscription...

Unfortunately, at least 90 percent of the movies I go to are shown exclusively at the Harkins chain, which I understand doesn't take the MoviePass.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #504 on: January 30, 2018, 06:19:13 AM »
Looks like the Landmark theatres aren't in on MoviePass, but the couple that are probably would still justify it for me. I shall have to ponder it.

Signed up. Seems very low-fi that I have to wait for a physical card to arrive. So much for using it this weekend.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:52:16 AM by Bondo »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #505 on: January 30, 2018, 11:20:36 AM »
Signed up. Seems very low-fi that I have to wait for a physical card to arrive. So much for using it this weekend.

Ha, just last week a friend of mine told me she was waiting for her Moviepass card to arrive in the mail, and I commented that that seemed very 2007.

pixote
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:22:15 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #506 on: January 30, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »
So far, 2017 is the Batman Begins of movie years. A solid "B" without many highs or lows. Well, probably plenty of lows that I just won't see. Hard to be disappointed, but not excited either.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #507 on: January 30, 2018, 11:59:00 AM »
I think it was a really great year for funny films. Lady Bird, Logan Lucky, Get Out, The Big Sick, even Phantom Thread. And it's the best year so far for superhero stuff. I don't want more superhero movies, but the ones that came out this year I actually really enjoyed.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #508 on: January 30, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »
So far, 2017 is the Batman Begins of movie years. A solid "B" without many highs or lows. Well, probably plenty of lows that I just won't see. Hard to be disappointed, but not excited either.

Does that apply to docs too? It seems like you had some big discoveries recently.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #509 on: January 30, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »
Dawson City: Frozen Time is my one 5-Star movie of 2017.

I Am Not Your Negro, The Work, and Whose Streets? are all very good, but probably aren't films I'll go back to over and over again.