love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163515 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #510 on: January 30, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »
Nice. Well, at least there was one eh. :)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #511 on: January 30, 2018, 07:56:03 PM »
So I got my MoviePass card yesterday and used it to see Phantom Thread for a second time. It's so easy to use and the valuse is insane. With practically every theater in my area, including the independent ones, on board, this is too good a deal to pass up. If I see more than 12 movies in a theater this year, it will pay for itself. I don't know why I waited this long.

My filmgoing has just been reinvigorated the past two months, and I didn't even know what MoviePass really was until I looked it up just now. There are a bunch of AMCs in Phoenix, and little FilmBar even takes it. Thanks for bringing this up!

Yet another subscription...

Unfortunately, at least 90 percent of the movies I go to are shown exclusively at the Harkins chain, which I understand doesn't take the MoviePass.

Oh, you're in Phoenix, too?!  OK.  I'm in the West Valley. What kinds of movies are you seeing at Harkins that don't come out at AMC?  I'm not too far from the AMC at Arizona Center, and they show most everything I'd want to see. FilmBar can take care of the rest.  The only place I'd have to hit occasionally, and pay the extra money for, would be Valley Art on Mill. 
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #512 on: January 30, 2018, 10:39:59 PM »
What kinds of movies are you seeing at Harkins that don't come out at AMC?

Pretty much all of the "art-house" (foreign and indie) movies that make it to Phoenix end up at two Harkins multiplexes in Scottsdale. Sometimes they make it to Filmbar, but only after Harkins has shown them.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #513 on: February 01, 2018, 06:23:13 PM »
Truly random thought after looking at a poster- is there a correlation between quality-of-Tom-Cruise's-acting and Tom-Cruise's-hair-length? Is this a silly thing somebody has already thought of?

(I can think of both good and bad movies where he has long hair as well as short hair, but does one win out?)
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #514 on: February 01, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »
Not sure about the hair-length to quality argument. I just can't get out of my head someone on Twitter saying Cruise looks like a middle-aged lesbian:

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #515 on: February 04, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »
I was thinking about the MoviePass but I'm on the fence as there are going to be stretches where I don't watch anything.

Are there more gay than lesbian movies (by a wide margin) because there are statistically more gays than lesbians in the population or it is something else?
It's because most guys can find lesbian "movies" online at the sites we don't talk about. And the lesbian films that are made are almost always for male audiences from male directors where the female is just an object to drool over and not a complex human being. I think I wrote a piece about this once about Thor: The Dark World but I'm redoing my site this month and won't be able to link anything for a while.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #516 on: February 06, 2018, 08:33:17 PM »
Signed up. Seems very low-fi that I have to wait for a physical card to arrive. So much for using it this weekend.

Ha, just last week a friend of mine told me she was waiting for her Moviepass card to arrive in the mail, and I commented that that seemed very 2007.

pixote

Still hasn't arrived. I think the Pony Express would be ashamed by this delivery time.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #517 on: February 14, 2018, 04:28:53 AM »
Weird suggestions from Netflix

"Because you added Roger Corman's Death Race 2050 to your list"

The Rugrats Movie

I suppose as long as it does not suggest it in the other direction it is ok.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #518 on: February 19, 2018, 07:37:15 PM »
Is there a good superhero movie that's not an adaptation?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #519 on: February 19, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »
The Incredibles and Unbreakable off the top of my head. Hancock is ok. Chronicle is good. Depending on your definitions, RoboCop and The Matrix too.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”