love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163429 times)

NedMeier

• Elite Member
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2018, 10:53:47 AM »
Several members here are parents, or have even become parents while we've known them. I'd love to hear if anyone's feelings about a particular film changed after having become a parent. Or anything that can share in that vein.

Perhaps you find yourself empathizing more strongly with parents in film, or films where the issues of parenthood are in play? Was there a marked difference that you noticed?

Pretty much any movie in which a child dies or is sick became so much more difficult to watch. Rabbit Hole was one of those films that totally changes depending on if you are a parent or not.

I also am able to share movies with my kids now (who are 6 and 8) and really talk about great films. They still love some horrible films but my daughter's favorite film is Singin' in the Rain and I was able to share Black Panther with my boy.

Movie going/watching is so different with kids, both in good and bad ways.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:03:47 AM by pixote »
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #541 on: March 05, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »
Good answers Ned. In agreement. :)

Using a simple formula, Toy Story 2, Secrets & Lies and Short Term 12 are in my top 100 purely because of personal parenting experiences. Otherwise, they would merely be really good movies.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #542 on: March 06, 2018, 06:28:54 AM »
I listened to the Interstellar episode of /Filmcast. The listener's argument about not understanding the movie if you haven't kids was rubbish.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #543 on: March 06, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »

I was watching Thor: Ragnarok again today and this moment by Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) snapped into focus a problem I had with Wonder Woman's greatest scene, probably the defining moment of Wonder Woman's greatest scene. She comes out of that trench into No Man's Land and in that moment Gal Gadot is rising up to present a new hero to all women. So I understand the importance and impact of the moment. But look at how she does it.

Gal Gadot walks it like a runway model. The arms swing out and she struts through the bomb blasts looking fabulous. Now, Thompson is also doing a strut and looking great, but there's more to it than that. She's walking with a power, projecting confidence instead of just wearing it. She draws her power from the anticipation of destroying some bad guys, never minding how she looks while doing it. Gal Gadot gave us a moment for 2017, but Tessa Thompson did it best.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #544 on: March 07, 2018, 02:52:18 AM »
Huzzah! All praise the awesomeness of Ragnarok!
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #545 on: March 07, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
I feel like I have been pumping out the reviews this year so far. I can't lie, I think part of it has to do with trying to make up for last year missing so much time and effort due to my ACL surgery and subsequent recovery. I feel like I have more time and passion for seeing and reviewing movies.

I know last year was a down year for me in terms of 2017 movies seen, down by quite a bit over the previous couple. I am already at 22 2018 films, so I am confident I can make this maybe my best year ever in that regard.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #546 on: March 07, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
How is everyone feeling about MoviePass apparently tracking all of your movements. Here I thought if the app is closed it doesn’t get info...

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #547 on: March 07, 2018, 06:13:18 PM »
How is everyone feeling about MoviePass apparently tracking all of your movements. Here I thought if the app is closed it doesn’t get info...

So many apps are doing it that you either have to just live with it or turn off GPS. I assume it helps you select the theatres near by? Just turn it off until you need it, I do that with apps like Uber
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #548 on: March 08, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »
I usually have my location off at this point but I also make it the case where none of my sensitive info is accessible on my phone without the passwords. Can make stuff a trial to get to in a rush, but it gives me some peace of mind.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #549 on: March 10, 2018, 02:21:34 PM »
Without looking, what would you guess Olaf's Frozen Adventure is rated on IMDb?

pixote

Here's a new one:

Without looking, what would you guess A Wrinkle in Time is rated on IMDb?

Hint: It's lower than The Hurricane Heist