love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163428 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #670 on: August 02, 2018, 03:45:58 AM »
Lol just got a message about an early screening of Operation Finale, which I didn't know much about but the cast at least seems interesting; however, Nick Kroll plays a character names Rafi and that's just great.

This is fantastic. I need more Nick Kroll in my life.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #671 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:07 PM »
Nah, The League ran its course. It was getting stale and repetitive by the end.

I liked how they talked about fantasy football and also made jokes. But most definitely the fantasy football.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #672 on: August 03, 2018, 03:42:05 AM »
The League may be the most sports related thing I've ever liked.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #673 on: August 06, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »
It's nuts to me that Vanessa Hudgens is a name that is still marketable, but SB is a great film and I'm pumped to see Dog Days tomorrow night.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #674 on: August 08, 2018, 07:51:49 AM »
In the last 6 or so months I have watched Manos: Hands of Fate, Troll 2 and The Room. And I have to say The Room is not that bad. I did try to watch a Neil Breen film, but did not finish it, I may punish myself sometime and finish one of his.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #675 on: August 08, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
The Room isn't that bad in comparison, but it's a special kind of bad that you want to share with others. Also, when people learned more about Tommy Wiseau it added to the fascination. Manos (and Birdemic, which should've been in your marathon) have had articles written about them, but their behind the scenes story isn't as fascinating. Manos was also the perfect film for the MST3K/Rifftrax treatment, because they can build a lot of running gags to fill the dead spots. Manos is a far harder film to watch without them. (If you watch the Rifftrax ep of The Room, it's comically beating a dead horse and the hosts treat t more like a Rocky Horror experience.)

Neil Breen is a whole other level. The incomprehensibility of his scripts, filled with him clearly being passionate about something, is rendered worthless because he has no charisma, no personality, and even after 4 films there is no hint that he's in on the joke. The little that is known about Breen, the less people care, which doesn't add anything to the enjoyment of his films, which seem like they would be brutal to sit thru. (I've only been able to watch a few clips.) There's a thread on How Did This Get Made because people want the podcast to do a Neil Breen film, but it's been nixed because there's no fun and they don't want their listeners to feel obligated to watch in order to follow the show.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #676 on: August 08, 2018, 12:56:15 PM »
In the last 6 or so months I have watched Manos: Hands of Fate, Troll 2 and The Room. And I have to say The Room is not that bad. I did try to watch a Neil Breen film, but did not finish it, I may punish myself sometime and finish one of his.

I’ve seen Manos and The Room but not T2.
Manos was just super bad, but MST3K treatment made it fun (1 time) for me, there is a savant brilliance to The Room, like really interesting outsider art.
It helped that I knew the backstory surrounding The Room before I saw it. I sort of wish I could have seen it for the first time without knowing it’s mythology. It’s pathos overload would be a delightful puzzle on its own without knowing Wiseau’s vague history. The emotional well behind the film is obviously deep.
Sestero’s actual book gives a far more nuanced and loving picture of Wiseau than the film adaptation of it. It makes me see Wiseau more as fearless by uncovering, and filming, his own insecurities and dreams than as a total narcissist and creepy buffoon and, yes,  there are moments of just weird creepiness as well.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:57:52 PM by St. Martin the Bald »
Hey, nice marmot!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #677 on: August 08, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
I should have stated I did enjoy all 3 of the films, they are just poorly/badly made. I heard about Neil Breen on the Outside the Cinema podcast where they have reviewed a couple of his films and have an audio commentary for Fateful Findings. The problem I had trying to watch "I Am Here...Now" is that there are long stretches where not much happens. In the 3 I mentioned they still move along at a reasonable pace, and there is something to enjoy.

I will see if I can find Birdemic, should I watch it before or after seeing Hitchcock's The Birds?

Dipping into the bottom of the movie making barrel is fun.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #678 on: August 08, 2018, 10:11:09 PM »
I did try to watch a Neil Breen film, but did not finish it, I may punish myself sometime and finish one of his.

One of the best episodes of Best of the Worst (RedLetterMedia) has a Breen film featured. Max Landis is a guest on that episode. Fun stuff.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #679 on: August 08, 2018, 10:44:19 PM »
Martin, are you going to the Xanadu sing-along in Portland?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky