love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163395 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #920 on: May 25, 2019, 01:36:58 AM »
Tim Burton movies have looked ghastly for years, no matter the studio, though if any film has a worse aesthetic than his Alice in Wonderland it's the live action remake of Beauty and the Beast. Like Captain Marvel's directors clearly working separately from the 2nd Unit (action) director, I don't believe Bill Condon had any control over B&B's Art Direction, which needed serious pruning. (Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella was lavish, but in a scaled back way so that you could appreciate the touches.)

What's helped Disney stay above most (with exceptions) is the realistic blending of live action and effects. Starting with the scene in Winter Soldier where Captain America takes out a jet, I realized that anything was possible given the proper amount of time to make it real. That has only improved right up to the creation of Thanos, which looks like actual Josh Brolin wearing excellent make-up.

Compare that to Warner Bros. From the DC films - Shazam looks like a Power Rangers film - to The Crimes of JK Rowling, which defines hot garbage on a dark and/or stormy night. The effects look like a video game roadmapped over theater sets filmed with not enough lights, but a lot of post-production tinting. Mad Max: Fury Road was the exception for the studio and even they weren't expecting it.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #921 on: May 25, 2019, 04:41:19 AM »
If you haven’t seen Aladdin yet, you might need to edit that post thereafter.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #922 on: May 25, 2019, 06:16:10 AM »
I said "with exceptions". I also need to edit it to include The Jungle Book, which is an Avatar level blend of actor in a special effects world.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #923 on: May 25, 2019, 07:31:02 AM »
I think the thing here is no one in the real world cares about technical competence. They just want to watch their stories.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #924 on: May 25, 2019, 08:22:32 AM »
I said "with exceptions". I also need to edit it to include The Jungle Book, which is an Avatar level blend of actor in a special effects world.

Yeah, I know, but I’m suggesting that Aladdin might push the balance towards the exceptions. The scenes of the characters riding the flying carpet represent Z-grade special effects.

Pull the string, pull the string.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #925 on: May 25, 2019, 06:28:11 PM »
8 year olds, the target audience for most of these, can't really tell the difference between good and badly blended cgi.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #926 on: May 25, 2019, 11:55:47 PM »
We need to defund 8 year olds.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #927 on: June 02, 2019, 06:35:05 PM »
I never knew that novelist William Gibson (Neuromancer) wrote a screenplay to Alien 3. Just saw that Audible has turned it into an audiobook/play thingy with Michael Biehn doing V.O.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #928 on: June 04, 2019, 12:44:18 AM »
The straight-to-Netflix movie is this generation's straight-to-dvd/vhs movie.
But like with with a bigger range of budgets and occasionally with a famous director attached.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #929 on: June 04, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »
Definitely. For all the billions Netflix has spent so far to produce "content", I can name exactly one series and one movie I was excited about.

love