Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 163391 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #1180 on: April 16, 2020, 02:00:26 AM »
I think that is about right.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1181 on: April 16, 2020, 06:49:42 AM »
Tom Hardy sets the bar for most number of impressive performances over the last decade.
Inception (2010)
Warrior (2011)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Locke (2013)
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
The Revenant (2015)
Dunkirk (2017)

Plus there are the TV shows "Peaky Blinders" and "Taboo" and he raised Venom up as high as it could be raised.

Interesting, I was not impressed with him in either The Dark Knight Rises or Mad Max: Fury Road. While my opinion of TDKR could be a factor in that view, it definitely would not be for MM:FR. Even in Venom he was only ok. I find him a bit too much of a blank slate. I liked his performance in Warrior, but the sullen moody role fit him well.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1182 on: April 16, 2020, 07:21:55 AM »
Tom Hardy sets the bar for most number of impressive performances over the last decade.
Inception (2010)
Warrior (2011)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Locke (2013)
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
The Revenant (2015)
Dunkirk (2017)

Plus there are the TV shows "Peaky Blinders" and "Taboo" and he raised Venom up as high as it could be raised.

Tom Hanks clears that bar!

Toy Story 3
Cloud Atlas
Saving Mr. Banks
Captain Philips
Bridge of Spies
Sully
The Post
Toy Story 4
It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Plus he's good, briefly, in Extremely Loud and Incredibly close. And he had a few all time SNL sketches in the 2010s.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1183 on: April 16, 2020, 03:43:25 PM »
I don’t think any scene in film makes me smile as much as when the band hears their song on the radio for the first time on That Thing You Do!

My cheeks hurt.

(Today is comfort food movie day)
Hey, nice marmot!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1184 on: April 19, 2020, 04:31:32 PM »
While I am not planning on rewatching a bunch of stuff like some members of the forum, I was trying to put together a Top-100 of the 2010s and ended up with about 50 films from 2010 that made the initial cut. This is why I tend to not do lists...it becomes overwhelming. I've seen close to 2000 qualifying films for the decade and 6000 overall.

I make it harder on myself because the reason there were 50 films is because while I recognized that probably no more than 15 were really top-100 contenders, there were so many things I liked that are greatly underseen.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1185 on: April 19, 2020, 04:47:24 PM »
Making lists is fun when you remember ranking is arbitrary and opinions can change over time. I've never had an issue with the scale of what I've seen for whatever reason. I'm somewhat picky to begin with about what I see so if I saw it and feel like I would watch it again, then it usually ends up in the preliminary list.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1186 on: April 19, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »
I should probably discount any movie whose score I have too look up because I don't remember if I liked it. There are films I gave 5/5 ratings in that category. They just didn't have staying power in my mind.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1187 on: April 19, 2020, 06:30:31 PM »
While I am not planning on rewatching a bunch of stuff like some members of the forum,
I'm doing it more for the rewatching than historical accuracy. If I waited until I was in the mood to see Take Shelter again as opposed to a new film, I'd probably never have seen Take Shelter again.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1188 on: April 19, 2020, 06:37:13 PM »
Making lists is fun when you remember ranking is arbitrary and opinions can change over time.

That's why I just put the list out there right away. You and 1SO give us plenty of good reading and consideration, but I just like to get on with it, it's fun and I know it'll change.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1189 on: April 19, 2020, 07:20:19 PM »
I’d always been in the mood to rewatch Take Shelter or In Bruges at any time. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman