Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Project Index  (Read 15023 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Project Index
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »
It certainly gets more interesting with a larger list, but 250 seems like a pretty long jump from 100.  The spreadsheets contain that many, easily, but perhaps we should do a 200 before 250?

Agree. Only 178 films have been listed in the Top 100 in the 6 years we've done a list. To expand to 250 may be interesting, but depending on participation it could start to get very thin at the bottom, as in films only one person voted for.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »
Wait, are we talking about expanding individual ballots to 250 or just presenting a group top 250...because the latter is easily enough done (well, if we do an elaborate presentation, it multiplies that work, but if it is just a question of computing it is simple).

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »
I do like the idea of a longer official list. Keeping our contributions at up to 100 is fine, I think, but more variety from those lists is always good, I think. When we did the books list we often didn't have enough entries to make a full top 100 of books with more than one vote, but having people's absolute favorites on the list gave it some special flavor, I thought. If that has to happen with the movies (and it probably doesn't) it wouldn't be the worst thing.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
These are all things that should be discussed. Maybe a nice compromise would be to allow participants to submit ballots with up to 125 films in their list. Any size list (up to 125), as always, would still be accepted, but maybe we could get a more diverse list. We could also discuss this once the results are in and able to make a judgement call of where the best "cutoff" point would be for the official list.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »
I don't mind the idea of waiting until the submissions are in to see where a cutoff would make the most sense. If our list had any kind of importance outside of ourselves it might be problematic, but if we're trying to make a document that expresses something about ourselves as a community, we might decide as a community what that document should look like.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
Just tell me what kind of list you want and I will give it to you.

List

List

List

p.s. I vote for 150 titles, so it's a typical 100 with 50 runners up.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 05:58:57 PM »
Corndog, you are a marvellous spreadsheet making person. Thanks to your Letterboxd list I can say I have watched 80% of them, which is a 7 point drop from the sole 2014 list.

I have told you before and say it again: you must watch Ran.

It is odd that the movies that appear the most often are so lowly rated. One would expect them to be the top movies of the list, with the bottom changing from year to year. Yet, The Wizard of Oz averages 84 and Chinatown 69.

Anyway, I agree with PA that a larger list seems like a good idea. I don't know how much more work that would give the organisers, but his logic is sound.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 06:10:29 PM »
These are all things that should be discussed. Maybe a nice compromise would be to allow participants to submit ballots with up to 125 films in their list. Any size list (up to 125), as always, would still be accepted, but maybe we could get a more diverse list. We could also discuss this once the results are in and able to make a judgement call of where the best "cutoff" point would be for the official list.

I think the idea of choosing the cutoff point after the submissions makes sense. As for submission length, you're probably the better judge.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 06:32:42 PM »
Wait, are we talking about expanding individual ballots to 250 or just presenting a group top 250...because the latter is easily enough done (well, if we do an elaborate presentation, it multiplies that work, but if it is just a question of computing it is simple).
I would prefer expanding ballots, but I'll take what I can get in terms of more movies to discuss and think about.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »
Personally, I'd prefer to turn in a ballot of 150, but many people struggle to turn in 100.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love