love

Poll

How often do you watch movies at the cinema?

Very often - Twice a week or more
2 (5.9%)
Often - About once a week
3 (8.8%)
Regularly - About two or three times a month
11 (32.4%)
Every so often - Once every month or two
8 (23.5%)
Rarely - A couple of times a year
6 (17.6%)
Never - Virtually never
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Movie Watching Habits: Cinema Attendance  (Read 5798 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Movie Watching Habits: Cinema Attendance
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 11:46:20 AM »
I'm still in dating phase, ergo I see a certain number of films because of that. Seeing Rogue One a second time as a date movie (her choice). I don't do cinema food though...cheaper to go out to a restaurant before/after instead.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 11:55:09 AM »
I went with Regularly, but I probably tend more towards Often. I am lucky enough to get free screenings quiet often, which slants the following opinions...

Every movie is better on the big screen, and I find that if I am confined to a theater seat I am more likely to pay closer attention to the movie at hand. At home I tend to lose focus every now and then, making the theater experience supreme, especially, as others have said, for the spectacle movies, but also for the group experience. Seeing something and reacting to something is a group, even a group of strangers, is always better than in isolation.

I tend to go to quite a few by myself, though I have a sci/fi comic book buddy I take along to those screenings, and my wife will come sometimes too, but only if it's something she is actively interested in, or if her schedule permits.

I will still go and pay to see some films, even with the ample screenings and access to end of year screeners at home (see above opinions on seeing things in theaters). But not having to pay for the majority of the things I see also permits me the expense of seeing those movies I do pay for. Sometimes I miss screenings, or things aren't screened that I want to see, so I will shell out to see them in theaters.

As for theater food, my wife always wants Red Vines and a soda, or some other snack. I almost never get anything when I am at the theater, but will share a soda with her, and eat some of her candy :).
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
I am lucky enough to get free screenings quiet often

I've always wondered how you see so many films early. Is it through sites like Gofobo or do you work for a studio or something?

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »
Regularly I've gone with this. Generally my cinema going is usually restricted to the early and late months of the year, when there's basically nothing else to do, it's either too cold or dark. Over the course of the year it averages out at a couple of times per month.

I usually attend more than one screening a week, often taking the opportunity to make a double feature out of it instead of having to go all the way to the mall all over again.

This is what I tend to do. Often taking an afternoon off work (work being within five minutes of the cinemas) and seeing a couple of movies, having a drink and a bite to eat in between, before making my way home. Seeing movies in the evening is a more time consuming affair. This requires travelling time of at least thirty minutes each way, time for a drink maybe something to eat, trailers and the movie itself. In this instance it makes more sense to stay at home and watch a couple of movies. :)

Out of interest - How much does it cost to go to the cinema where you live?
Off Peak £8.50/$11.00 Max.
Peak Time £9.50/$12.00 Max

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »

The closest theater to me is great, the Hollywood Arclight, but it's $17 peak (non-3D) and the amazing discount of $16 off peak. I love the Vista, which is close enough and is $12 peak and only $6.50 for matinees, which is where I try and see as many films as I can.

$12 is probably the average in LA, but travel times to the theaters is also a big factor.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »
Tuesday and Thursday it is $5 at the local theatres. Otherwise it tends to be like $7 for earlier showings and $10 for evenings. Add ons for 3D or extra-large screen.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
Every movie is better on the big screen, and I find that if I am confined to a theater seat I am more likely to pay closer attention to the movie at hand. At home I tend to lose focus every now and then, making the theater experience supreme, especially, as others have said, for the spectacle movies, but also for the group experience. Seeing something and reacting to something is a group, even a group of strangers, is always better than in isolation.

The first part of this is 70% of the reason I go to the cinema so much.

The closest theater to me is great, the Hollywood Arclight, but it's $17 peak (non-3D) and the amazing discount of $16 off peak. I love the Vista, which is close enough and is $12 peak and only $6.50 for matinees, which is where I try and see as many films as I can.

$12 is probably the average in LA, but travel times to the theaters is also a big factor.

I have typically been able to get tickets very cheap. I used to have a subscription card for my cineplex that basically made every movie there around 3€. Whatever I cannot get there I watch in other places, which turn out to be more expensive, but student rates are usually quite affordable. And the film institute, which screens older movies, only costs me 2€ per ticket, and that's something like a handful of movies a month.

Also, I never buy food or soda. It's egregiously expensive and I loathe most of the available options. If hungry I would rather buy something at a bakery for a couple of euros or so.

Only Imax tickets and some 3D screenings are really expensive. That and tickets when I lived in Singapore. Those were dreaded days of cinema draught.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
74 cinema outings last year. Mostly matinees (US$7.50 – $8.50), plus a handful each of evening shows (~$10) and IMAX ($15).

Thanks to a unique work schedule, I'm usually able to catch the first showing (Friday morning) of films when they open here, usually by myself. Hardly ever hit the concession stand.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
In New Jersey it's around $11 for a regular screening and around $7 for a matinee, though around here matinee means before noon.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »
Those prices are pretty outrageous.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love