love

Author Topic: Top 5 (or 10) Underappreciated Films of This Century  (Read 3069 times)

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
Re: Top 5 (or 10) Underappreciated Films of This Century
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
It's not a list of obscure films. That's just one criteria to consider. 38K saw The Last Kiss, but it was largely unappreciated.

Yeah, I gathered as much (I mean, one list contains Avatar and Star Wars Ep III). Still, I have no clue how to come up with a suitable criteria other than how many people have seen a film I think is great (or how lowly rated/generally disliked is such a film, which Bondo and Martin already dismissed).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:56:41 AM by goodguy »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
Lilo & Stitch (Chris Sanders & Dean Dubois) - Still Disney's most daring, bizarre piece of work.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (George Lucas) - Covered elsewhere.

Mean Girls (Mark Waters) - Beloved by pop culture, strangely dismissed by cinephiles/most critics probably because of the memes, despite being, at times, the most psychologically relevant American high school comedy ever, possibly?

Shaun the Sheep Movie (Mark Burton & Richard Starzak) - Another movie loved, but not nearly enough - this shows that silent comedy can still be innovative and fresh, along with giving a deeply human message about protecting animals.

Crimson Peak (Guillermo Del Toro) - Ghoulish fun, pure cinema, so joyous in Del Toro's indulgences.

I rarely agree with you, and I don't really here, but these are the kind of perspectives that make me glad to see you post.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 06:31:02 PM »
Just of the top of my head, not comprehensive by any means...

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (2009)
John Krasinski's directorial debut, based on a David Foster Wallace story. A movie by actors, for actors. Really just a series of amazing monologues.

Little Children (2006)
Kate Winslet & Patrick Wilson are stay at home parents having an affair. This was my introduction to Jackie Earle Haley, who plays a sex offender. It brings up a lot of great questions.

Lake of Fire (2006)
Probably not for everyone. A very in-depth and graphic documentary about abortion. I believe it's ultimately pro-choice, but it examines both sides of the debate.

The Last Kiss (2006)
Seriously, Zach Braff gives one of my all time favorite performances.

The Sacrament (2013)
A horror movie based loosely on the Jonestown massacre. Gets under your skin and will creep you out for days.

Tim's Vermeer (2013)
Super fascinating documentary by Penn Jilette of all people. Maybe you guys watched it when I wasn't on the boards, but I have never met another person who's seen it. It's about a man who methodically figures out how a Dutch painter created his masterpieces.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:33:35 PM by StarCarly »
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Baadasssss! (Mario Van Peebles) - Perhaps the most important film about the African American experience of the century.

I have this on DVD, must watch it.

The Beaver (Jodie Foster) - Utter madness incarnate, an angry satire that shreds middle class America to pieces.

Agree, although I am not sure about your comment about the film, in particular the shreds middle class America to pieces bit

Underrated as per Letterboxd popularity:

Music Lyrics
The Boat that Rocked
American Ultra

Agree with these picks

Movie 43

Every review I have heard for this movie has been massively negative (to the point of vitriol in some cases), what appealed to you?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 12:02:31 AM »
Tim's Vermeer (2013)
Super fascinating documentary by Penn Jilette of all people. Maybe you guys watched it when I wasn't on the boards, but I have never met another person who's seen it. It's about a man who methodically figures out how a Dutch painter created his masterpieces.

I think a bunch of people here saw it. I seem recall getting some blowback on my review.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 12:19:38 AM »
Tim's Vermeer is something I drop into conversation on a fairly regular basis. Like, my nephews were doing an iPad app thing where you set it up on a stand and put a piece of paper in front of it and it basically projects images on top of the photo of the paper on the screen and you can kind of trace the design onto the paper. In a sense, it is using the same technique, in a more technological way.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 12:39:16 AM »
Yay! I wasn't around, but I'm glad people watched it.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 02:44:07 AM »
Date Movie, Scary Movie, Scary Movie II... Terrific comedies.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 03:09:00 AM »
I forgot to include it on my list, but it goes without saying that Speed Racer more than deserves its place near the top.

Quote from: StarCarly
Movie 43

Every review I have heard for this movie has been massively negative (to the point of vitriol in some cases), what appealed to you?

It's meta, which I usually like, and it subverts a bunch of romcom clichés while managing to be genuinely funny. And the cast is amazing.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:10:54 AM by DarkeningHumour »
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 03:26:15 AM »
I may check it out sometime then (it was on the very unlikely list before).