Author Topic: Top 5 2016 Discoveries - Things You Learned  (Read 4501 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Top 5 2016 Discoveries - Things You Learned
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
Is this a general guideline or would you say this mostly refers to Safe For Sandy films? Would you watch Alien or The Shining by yourself?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 02:33:46 PM »
I like those one season shows a lot but they have this annoying tendency to almost always be book adaptations. Why is that annoying you ask? The producers or whoever appear to have a semblance of good taste and choose good books to adapt. Those books are brought to my attention and I read them because I want to watch the show later. Then I don't watch the show because I don't care anymore; I know the story.

This implies that movies have nothing to offer you beyond a plot delivery service. Why even bother with movies then? Just read a plot synopsis and voila, you know the story. Think of the years you could save not having to pay attention to things like timing, performance, mood, mise en scene. All that matters in a movie is what happens, right?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 02:41:45 PM »
In a random movie? No. In the adaptations of those particular books? It is a big part of what matters. They're plot heavy and I read them for their stories. I am sure the series make some stylistic choices, and I know at least some of those actors are going to be doing good work - how much of those is actually present in them though, remains to be seen, and I am sceptic that it should be enough to warrant a thirteen hour watch on its own. If I rewatch Blue it will not be for the plot, but that is not the case of most of the movies I watch, let alone these specific ones. I look for stories, worldbuilding, rich dialogue, wit. I am driven towards words and action. Cinematographic flourishes are great but they usually only enhance a movie I already like.

Besides, when I watch adaptations I spend the entire time mentally anticipating every thing that is going to happen next, and comparing the adaptation to the original, which can be quite annoying.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 02:47:25 PM »
I bet. You should probably stop doing that.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 02:48:42 PM »
I will remember to install the update when the next patch is due.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
I continue to be an awesome movie watcher. I love everything I love. I also dislike the things I dislike. Haven't found anyone with better taste than me. So, I'm going to try and keep that up.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »

3. I am brave enough to watch horror movies alone.

Big step!

:)

Is this a general guideline or would you say this mostly refers to Safe For Sandy films? Would you watch Alien or The Shining by yourself?

This is something I learned while watching Cabin in the Woods and then The Blair Witch Project, so I would say beyond SfS films. :) Yes, I'd watch Alien and The Shining by myself. Is it cheating to watch them during the day, or with a light on, or at least under a blanket?

Movies like The Exorcism of Emily Rose or The Exorcism are still beyond me watching alone. Maybe in a group, but there are a thousand other movies I'd rather see.

I continue to be an awesome movie watcher. I love everything I love. I also dislike the things I dislike. Haven't found anyone with better taste than me. So, I'm going to try and keep that up.

:D You do that, philip!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 11:04:35 PM »
2. DCU. Not even once.
Is this referring to the D.C. Universe of films?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 11:28:05 PM »
This is something I learned while watching Cabin in the Woods and then The Blair Witch Project, so I would say beyond SfS films. :) Yes, I'd watch Alien and The Shining by myself. Is it cheating to watch them during the day, or with a light on, or at least under a blanket?
Not even if you watch them like this...

Movies like The Exorcism of Emily Rose or The Exorcism are still beyond me watching alone. Maybe in a group, but there are a thousand other movies I'd rather see.
I wonder if the time is coming for you to meet Ripley in the Alien Trilogy. (Just the trilogy.)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 04:16:37 AM »
The Cabin in the Woods does not count as a scary movie.

That is all.