Author Topic: 1945 Retrospots: Discovery Project  (Read 2265 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: 1945 Retrospots: Discovery Project
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »
Detour (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1945)

A noir with an initially interesting premise that gradually becomes silly to the point of absurdity, and the wettest blanket you've ever seen as a protagonist. I thought MacMurray was a vacuum of charisma in Double Indemnity, but that's only because I hadn't yet stared into the abyss that is Tom Neal here. A whiny abyss, too. Ann Savage's unhinged performance is really the film's saving grace, chewing the scenery as the villainous and domineering Vera... not that there's much to dominate, but still.

4/10

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1945 Retrospots: Discovery Project
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »

Pillow to Post
"Love is a beautiful thing."
"I get two hours of it every Saturday night at a movie. That's enough for me."

I hate to be down on Ida Lupino, because she's so talented and rarely mentioned except as a pioneer female director in Hollywood. She also happens to be a great dramatic actress, but her wonderful toughness doesn't naturally soften for comedy. In Pillow to Post I can see her trying to be funny, with broad expressions and a delivery that's trained instead of instinctual. The artificial performance only further drags this overly-complicated plot away from screwball into TV sitcom land.

The supporting cast is TV sitcom gold, with Sydney Greenstreet, Ruth Donnelly, child star Robert Blake and Willie Best. (Best will activate your racism reflex, but he has most of the best lines.) There's also a sweet musical performance by Louis Armstrong and Dorothy Dandridge.

Rating: * * 1/2, #45 out of 83 for 1945

Possible Nominations: none

love