love

Author Topic: 1945 Retrospots: Discovery Project  (Read 22349 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: 1945 Retrospots: Discovery Project
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 02:00:17 AM »
Isn't it when all the doors open one after another and the dissolve to clouds, I think.  Anyway, it was my impression also the sex was had.
Texan Down Under

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 02:10:09 AM »
I didn't get that impression, but I often miss subtle cues that are indications of such things.  Smirnoff's review is great, but I am sad because I love the movie so much and it made me cry.  On the other hand, Smirnoff didn't have to cry, so maybe that's a good thing?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 02:13:21 AM »
I could always use a good movie cry! I missed out! :)

Man oh man, now you all have got me wondering. To be fair I may have blinked and missed it. There's one part where they go to an apartment that belongs to a friend of the man, and it's understood that he won't be coming home until the next morning. Things just barely start getting intimate and suddenly there's a sound from the front door, and she books it down the fire escape. I feel like that was as close as it got, but maybe not. It's entirely possible that during another scene I missed some cinematic euphemism.... doors opening, clouds, flowers blooming, etc. :)) I might have to go back and look for it.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 02:33:26 AM »
Wikipedia doesn't think they had sex.  Calls it an emotional affair.
Texan Down Under

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 02:48:42 AM »

Watch Gleason!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 03:24:01 AM »
My initial watchlist:

Les enfants du paradis / Children of Paradise (Marcel Carné)
Brief Encounter (David Lean)
Roma città aperta / Rome, Open City (Roberto Rossellini)
Detour (Edgar G. Ulmer)
"I Know Where I'm Going!" (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger)
Mildred Pierce (Michael Curtiz)

Lower priority:

They Were Expendable (John Ford & Robert Montgomery)
Leave Her to Heaven (John M. Stahl)
Scarlet Street (Fritz Lang)
Spellbound (Alfred Hitchcock)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Elia Kazan)
A Walk in the Sun (Lewis Milestone)
And Then There Were None (René Clair)
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 06:40:20 AM »
I didn't care for it either, smirnoff. Solid review.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »
Brief Encounter is the only film that I'd consider a lock for a Best Picture nomination.
This is becoming 1990s U.S. Bracket all over again with the front runner finding a lot of unexpected resistance. Brief Encounter is currently #17 of 1945 for me. David Lean does some wonderful tricks with music, composite images, moments where a character is isolated from their surroundings by darkness or a dramatic tilt, but Laura and Alec are not as complex as the couples in similar movies (Before Sunrise, In the Mood For Love, The Remains of the Day), often feeling more like a representation of a type than flesh and blood.

If we decide to do Best Line, I have 2 from this film:
"It's the big picture now. Here we go. No more laughter. Prepare for tears."

"The stars can change in their courses, the universe go up in flames, and the world crash around us, but there will always be Donald Duck.”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »
"The stars can change in their courses, the universe go up in flames, and the world crash around us, but there will always be Donald Duck.”[/i]

The continued brilliance of this line negates the need for a Best Line category for 1945. :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 02:29:14 PM »

Man oh man, now you all have got me wondering. To be fair I may have blinked and missed it. There's one part where they go to an apartment that belongs to a friend of the man, and it's understood that he won't be coming home until the next morning. Things just barely start getting intimate and suddenly there's a sound from the front door, and she books it down the fire escape. I feel like that was as close as it got, but maybe not. It's entirely possible that during another scene I missed some cinematic euphemism.... doors opening, clouds, flowers blooming, etc. :)) I might have to go back and look for it.

I went over the script and couldn't find what I thought was there, during the bridge scene. bummer. You're right about the scene above, it's the friend's fault!

An affair of the heart is heady stuff too and I'd be sad that the movie didn't work for you, if it weren't for your funny review! :)

Since this is in my top 100, you can link it to the club and get even more use out of your frustrating viewing.

love