Author Topic: The Salesman  (Read 1279 times)

fredf7

The Salesman
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »
So, help me out here, Filmspotters.  I understand that there is deliberate ambiguity about the attack in the shower.  But the following questions occur to me.  How did the attacker get that cut on his foot?  Did he take his shoes and socks off?  Why did he leave the cash?  Are we to believe that this was a sexual assault?  But that old guy hardly would have had the strength or stamina for that, would he? And was there really time for that before the husband came home?  How could the attacker have forgotten his car keys and his cell phone?  Wouldn't the wife have at least been able to recall that her attacker was an old man? 

Thanks for any input.

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: The Salesman
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:59:49 AM »
It's been a few months, but I definitely took it to be sexual in nature, though it's unclear how far it went... though it went far enough for her to clearly suffer from some sort of PTSD, which I'd say also explain why she can't describe him.

Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Totoro

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:27:03 PM »
So, help me out here, Filmspotters.  I understand that there is deliberate ambiguity about the attack in the shower.  But the following questions occur to me.  How did the attacker get that cut on his foot?  Did he take his shoes and socks off?  Why did he leave the cash?  Are we to believe that this was a sexual assault? But that old guy hardly would have had the strength or stamina for that, would he? And was there really time for that before the husband came home?  How could the attacker have forgotten his car keys and his cell phone?  Wouldn't the wife have at least been able to recall that her attacker was an old man? 

Thanks for any input.

He also left money. That was a line at the end. He wasn't seeing a mistress, the woman that previously lived there was a hooker.

fredf7

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »
Thanks to both of you.  Still not sure why the attacker would have removed his shoes and socks.  This was a sudden and violent and presumably quick encounter.  Don't think too many attackers in this kind of setting would have removed their shoes and socks, or even had time to.  The cut on the foot plays a big role in the reveal but to me it's not adequately accounted for or explained.